Pat Forde on Kansas' hoops recruiting (FBI-related)

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Fans don't expect Ku to shudder the program but rather play on a level recruiting field with everyone else.
Only a K State fan would believe that everyone else is on a level recruiting field. That's the point. There is no level recruiting field in the current model.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Kansas has been giving money for years and everyone knows it
No, they haven't. Adidas has, just like Nike has. Only Adidas is doing about 10% of what Nike is doing. Big Brother Nike didn't get over 80% of the global basketball sneaker market by getting outbid by Little Brother Adidas.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Yeah, I remember that. The majority of the "impermissible benefits" were that a guy who saw a United Way video on the plight of Jackson and his family gave Jackson's mom rides from Oklahoma City to Lawrence to watch Darnell play and paid for some meals on the roadtrip when they traveled. He also gave her a loan to pay some medical bills. She couldn't drive herself and had significant medical bills because she was badly disabled in a car accident with a drunk driver that injured her and killed her mother.

The horror.

Lol oh my. What a take

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
No, they haven't. Adidas has, just like Nike has. Only Adidas is doing about 10% of what Nike is doing. Big Brother Nike didn't get over 80% of the global basketball sneaker market by getting outbid by Little Brother Adidas.

Really? How about Darnell Jackson. He got paid by a booster. It’s a fact. He just got caught. How many didn’t get caught? You think they only paid him? You are nieve
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darnell_Jackson

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Kansas will get a full pardon or plea bargain down to the equivalent of jaywalking. Nothing will happen. NOTHING.
Really? How about Darnell Jackson. He got paid by a booster. It’s a fact. He just got caught. How many didn’t get caught? You think they only paid him? You are nieve
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darnell_Jackson

Getting benefits from a booster isn't the same as getting paid by the school.

And it's "naive".

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

And it's "naive".

So you think the booster just decided with no instruction by the coach to start paying high school kids? Just out of the blue some rich guy decided I want this player at Kansas so I’ll give him some money? Riiiighhht. That’s not how it works dude

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

And it's "naive".

LOL you don't even believe that. And I am not naive enough to think it probably happens here at ISU.
Just cut the **** and spin.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Go back to your KU cave and stop trying to justify/ damage control this ****. Booster gives benefits it’s illegal. Your Nike this that ******** is getting old. Keep wearing those rose colored glasses.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Go back to your KU cave and stop trying to justify/ damage control this ****. Booster gives benefits it’s illegal. Your Nike this that ******** is getting old. Keep wearing those rose colored glasses.

The whole "yeah we cheat but Nike schools cheat more" is quite the hill to die on

Reactions: 2020cy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Getting benefits from a booster is a violation.
I agree with the technical description that what happened broke the rules. I am just saying some random dude acting completely on his own by giving a kid's mom a ride to watch her son play isn't the same as "Kansas paid a player".

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Do we actually think anything is going to happen to them? A legitimate punishment? Or will KU say, "We disagree, FU, we're not changing anything."

Also, funny about the booster vs the school. For example, let's say the law says my step-dad can't gift me unlimited money but he can gift my wife money. She just happens to get exactly what I need when I need it. Total coincidence.

Well, Kansas has already been punished by not being allowed to play Preston at all and having to be without DeSousa for an entire season.

What punishment should Kansas face for a coach saying he'd have to look into cheating if a recruit chose them and then the recruit doesn't choose them so they don't end up cheating?

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Kansas self reported the Preston situation as soon as they discovered it and sat DeSousa as soon as they became aware of his situation.

And who knows which way Zion leaned prior to getting paid by Nike to attend Duke.

Kansas lawyers will have to present a case that Self and staff (Townsend?) had, "no knowledge" Adidas was offering money to the families. what a joke.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I agree with the technical description that what happened broke the rules. I am just saying some random dude acting completely on his own by giving a kid's mom a ride to watch her son play isn't the same as "Kansas paid a player".
Your description of the booster's activity does not jive with the articles I read.

What a surprise.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well, Kansas has already been punished by not being allowed to play Preston at all and having to be without DeSousa for an entire season.

What punishment should Kansas face for a coach saying he'd have to look into cheating if a recruit chose them and then the recruit doesn't choose them so they don't end up cheating?
Welp...I'm convinced. Bill Self is clearly too stupid to see what's happening all around his program.
/thread