Rocky Mountain National Park - Hiking

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I love RMNP, but Estes might be one of my least favorite CO mountain towns. It just seems more fake toursity, I guess. Kind of a weird layout, too. I like Breck, Dillon, Idaho Springs, Lake City, Salida/Buena Vista all more than Estes.

I agree with this. Estes has gotten WAY too touristy.

I know Breck is touristy too, but I enjoy that a lot more.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Try Ouzel Falls and Lake from the Wild Basin Trailhead.
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/us/colorado/allenspark?ar[]=10106828
Has three waterfalls and a lake at the end if you make it that far.
Those trails aren't as busy, and are great hikes, just a short drive south on Hwy 7. We have gone every year since 2001, but cancelled our vacation and rescheduled for October. Will miss homecoming this year unless they make the Oklahoma game a nite game. RMNP is a wonderful place, wish I could go there more than once a year.

For those of us who have made the trip to Estes every year, the sad news is that the Dunraven Inn has moved to a larger venue by Lake Estes. The small quaint restaurant with the ceiling covered with dollar bills is closed. I put a number of bills on that ceiling, always modified with plenty of hok hate!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Took us about 11:30 from SE Iowa, we took 80 out and then headed up to Cheyanne on the way out, MapQuest says its further, but a better road. On the way back took Colo. #34 over to the interstate 76. I felt that way was longer with more stop lights than the Cheyanne way.
Definitely. We always keep on the interstate, faster and safer.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Have done Flattop twice. It's a workout for sure, but the views are great. Also do the Bierstadt Lake hike, but start at Bear Lake and finish back at the bus stop at the bottom of the mountain. I've done it in both directions, going up the switchbacks to start isn't much fun.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Holy ****. Good call. Haven’t done that yet
One last idea, when you're in Estes Park and have 30 minutes; go to:
Images of Rocky Mountain National Park Gallery
203 Park Ln, Estes Park, CO 80517.
https://imagesofrmnp.com/
He has incredible pictures of Rocky Mountain National Park. Seeing the pictures in person is even better than viewing them on a small computer screen.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you end up doing Ypsilon, take an opportunity to catch Chapin and Chiquita on the way. C-C-Y (as we called it when I worked at YMCA of the Rockies) was a great hike and not impossible to do three peaks in one. I always enjoy Lily Mountain when I've done it with family, with the trailhead off of Hwy. 7. Back to bigger hikes, Mt. Lady Washington gets you a great view of the East Face of Longs from the summit. Also, if you want to get a flavor of Longs but it's not yet peak season, you could hike to the boulder field or keyhole. Have fun!
Found this video of CCY. Yep. I think that is going to have to happen. Sharing for any others interested.

Reactions: stuclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Have done Flattop twice. It's a workout for sure, but the views are great. Also do the Bierstadt Lake hike, but start at Bear Lake and finish back at the bus stop at the bottom of the mountain. I've done it in both directions, going up the switchbacks to start isn't much fun.

This. If anyone does do flattop, I would strongly recommend trying to train a little and go around the gorge and up to the top of hallets. You have to scramble a little but it’s incredible. And doing Beirstadt going up to Bear Lake is horrible. Going down is the only way to do that one.

cychuck

Jun 9, 2020
I'm taking the wife and three teenage daughters to RMNP in mid July. The daughters will probably get tired of hiking after a few days. Any other specific excursions that we should check out?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm taking the wife and three teenage daughters to RMNP in mid July. The daughters will probably get tired of hiking after a few days. Any other specific excursions that we should check out?
What do you want to see? Lakes? Peaks? Animals?

How far are you wanting to hike? Ouzel falls isn’t bad effort wise and was mentioned earlier. Alberta falls and emerald are real popular I believe but can get crowded. Emerald is really a must do if you haven’t been there.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
If you are going to hike do it early. The crowds generally don't start until after 10 or so.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you are going to hike do it early. The crowds generally don't start until after 10 or so.
I agree here. However, give all the covid stuff and changing of entrance time passes and all that, I’m interested to see how that effects crowds. Bear lake is such a great central spot but that parking lot can be such a pain in the ass

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
If your going to Rocky Mtn National Park make sure to drive up above the treeline to watch a sunset
Son lives in Greeley. Greeley is 11 hours from Muskieville. EP is another hour.

Last summer, the Boss wanted to see a sunset from the continental divide. She did a little research and found a great guy who grew up in Berthoud and retired in EP. He has been in the park over 500 times.

We met in EP at 7pm. He drove us to some way out of the way places(Angry Falls) the back on Trail Ridge Road. We stopped at the Lava Cliffs to absorb the sunset at 12K'.

So different than near sea level(home). The sky is very compressed. The sliding of earths shadow is like a curtain opening across the most spectacular star show I have ever seen. Saw five satellites crossing the sky. A airliner looked to be about a thousand feet above us.

On the way down, Bruce(our guide) saw something. We stopped, got out, and watched a caribou buck strut within 20 yards, bugling for the girls. Late July is the start of the ruck.

My CF pic is me at a peak 12005' above sea level. Get in solid shape before attempting any hike like that.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Go to Gunnison National Park and hike to Frenchy’s in Tin Cup, CO. Quite possibly the best meal I’ve ever had. There’s a story to go along with it but it’s a really awesome place to go.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Headed out to a cabin in Estes Park next month with a small group. I’ve done a lot of hikes in the park but am looking for some new ones to try. I’ve done Twin Sisters, Hallets via Flattop, Chasm Lake, Sky Pond, Emerald Lake. Thinking about doing Ypsilon but sounds like that’s dependent on Old Fall River Rd being open. Would love to do Longs but it always seems like there’s ice/snow up there when I’m out there and I’m not a technical guy. Will be with young kids so any smaller kid friendly hikes would be welcome as well. TIA[/QUO

Be sure to check the web site. They are currently using a reservation system to enter the park. You have a 2 hour window to enter. Current reservations are available from now through July 31st. Reservations are throught recreation.gov.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/fees.htm

We are going in October again this year. Its a very nice time to go, Trail ridge road is usually closed, but Elk are buggling (mating) at that time.

We did the Cub lake trail one year. It was a nice day hike also.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Enjoy it. The two times I've been to RMNP were great (granted they were 16 and 26 yrs ago (wow, that makes me feel really old)).

The one piece of advice I've gotten regarding hiking in any NP or in any of the national forest's is look for trailheads that require you to drive off asphalt or concrete pavement. Trails tend to be a lot less busy and they aren't that much more work to get to (typically just involves a little gravel road driving).

That and look into national forest trails as well. A lot of times right next to parks but get a lot fewer visitors (they do tend to be a little bit more rugged though).