cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Triple, can you explain what you mean by that a little more?
Tax free in, tax free growth, and tax free out. Read the article below. It has been a while since I read it, but this was the article that opened my eyes to the advantages. Also, my employee gives me $500/yr in HSA, so more free money!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't use mine either but I have a feeling that when it comes time to retire, it will be VERY easy to find ways to spend this money.

Bridge to medicare until you turn 65
Long term care
Medicare premiums
etc.

Medicare premiums will depend on SS draw age. They take it out of the SS payments if you are receiving them. Right now my flex will cover 25k and I can bump it as high as I want to so for me I can just keep that for medicals and put money into retirement.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
" Healthcare can be one of the biggest expenses. A 65-year-old couple retiring in 2020 can expect to spend $295,000 in healthcare and medical expenses throughout retirement.1 This doesn’t include the additional annual cost of long-term care, which, in 2019, ranged from $19,500 for adult day care services to $102,200 for a private room in a nursing home, according to long-term care insurer Genworth "

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
" Healthcare can be one of the biggest expenses. A 65-year-old couple retiring in 2020 can expect to spend $295,000 in healthcare and medical expenses throughout retirement.1 This doesn’t include the additional annual cost of long-term care, which, in 2019, ranged from $19,500 for adult day care services to $102,200 for a private room in a nursing home, according to long-term care insurer Genworth "
Iowa LTC insurance last year was anywhere from 180-225/day in NC Iowa. Medicare and supplemental will pay 100 days of recovery time for each hospital stay then transfer to care facility. I dealt with this last year with my mom.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
" This doesn’t include the additional annual cost of long-term care "

Do what you want. I'm betting the number of people that end up saying "I wish I wouldn't have put so much in my HSA will come to around zero".

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

Do what you want. I'm betting the number of people that end up saying "I wish I wouldn't have put so much in my HSA will come to around zero".

I agree. The HSA is the first thing I make sure is maxed out each year. There's almost no downside. It's a IRA that you can withdraw from early, penalty free, if you have medical expenses prior to retirement that you would like to pay for tax free.

Roth vs HSA is a different question because of when taxation occurs, but HSA vs. pretty much anything else will come out in favor of the HSA.

Reactions: cyfan21

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Iowa LTC insurance last year was anywhere from 180-225/day in NC Iowa. Medicare and supplemental will pay 100 days of recovery time for each hospital stay then transfer to care facility. I dealt with this last year with my mom.
I agree. The HSA is the first thing I make sure is maxed out each year. There's almost no downside. It's a IRA that you can withdraw from early, penalty free, if you have medical expenses prior to retirement that you would like to pay for tax free.

Roth vs HSA is a different question because of when taxation occurs, but HSA vs. pretty much anything else will come out in favor of the HSA.

Yes, mine is usually
401k match
HSA Max
Then some kind of IRA/Roth 401k mix depending on eligibility.

Reactions: cycloneG

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Not knocking them, I started one but then when I put my cafeteria plan in, it made it kinda useless for me. It also doesn’t limit me on 3500/7000 dollar area.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well I guess I should have waited about two weeks to clean house. Was happy with my return and figured it could hold too much more.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Well I guess I should have waited about two weeks to clean house. Was happy with my return and figured it could hold too much more.
Who knows with the market, but I figured it will keep rolling especially with the vaccine going to be distributed next month. Will see how the GA race outcome shakes out but that could change everything.

I'm holding off selling until early January.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who knows with the market, but I figured it will keep rolling especially with the vaccine going to distributed next month. Will see how the GA race outcome shakes out but that could change everything.

I'm holding off selling until early January.
I was a short term play anyhow. Had some cash hit in March and knew around September or so I would probably need to liquidate so I rolled the dice that I could make some on the side instead of 1/2% in a savings account. Held about a month or so longer than I figured I would and can slip some extra cash in my pocket or get the wife a different work car with the extra. Will let you guess what happens.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I went through a year of having some tax liabilities, company stock option purchases, house re-fi, etc. that's all be good; but wasn't able to put as much in my taxable account as I usually do. So, I'm just getting that ramped back up again. I think I'm going to go 50% in and 50% cash for now until things calm down a bit.

I'll probably buy into SP 500 and Boeing, what else are people looking at right now.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I went through a year of having some tax liabilities, company stock option purchases, house re-fi, etc. that's all be good; but wasn't able to put as much in my taxable account as I usually do. So, I'm just getting that ramped back up again. I think I'm going to go 50% in and 50% cash for now until things calm down a bit.

I'll probably buy into SP 500 and Boeing, what else are people looking at right now.

Still VTSAX, total portfolio is up 21% YoY right now. If I could get this kind of return every year I could retire today.

Reactions: cyfan21