cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
What Brokerage do you fund your HSA through and what S&P index fund do you use?

Fidelity is a great place to open an HSA. I keep enough in cash to get my family by for the year, and put the rest into mutual funds.

Vanguard hasn't really gotten into the HSA market.

WRT growth funds, I really like Franklin's Dynatech fund: FKDNX. 10 year returns of 18.5%

H

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfan21

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
It has no business being this high... Fundamentals are not there.
Only in banana republics do you see markets like this one. I don't believe the US has ever experienced a K shaped recovery like this until now. Welcome to the new normal. Soon you will be using your stock dividends to buy milk and bread.

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Triple, can you explain what you mean by that a little more?

• Contributions to an HSA are tax deductible now, like a traditional IRA or 401k (pre-tax)
  • Withdrawals are not taxed, like a Roth
  • Earnings grow tax free and will never be taxed

A lot of FI people view the HSA as the third highest priority investment, after an emergency fund and your 401k with matching contributions from your employer.

H

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I hadn't looked in awhile, but the MSEGX fund has a YTD return of 77%. That's nuts.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
With Janet Yellen as Treasury Secretary, there will no longer be a need to even pretend the Fed is an independent body. There will be total coordination between fiscal policy and monetary policy. Again this is also common in so called republics like Cuba, Venezuela and Argentina. The market started to sniff that out in April.

I had hoped Biden would appoint Warren instead. I am kicking myself for even thinking that was possible.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
  • Contributions to an HSA are tax deductible now, like a traditional IRA or 401k (pre-tax)
  • Withdrawals are not taxed, like a Roth
  • Earnings grow tax free and will never be taxed

A lot of FI people view the HSA as the third highest priority investment, after an emergency fund and your 401k with matching contributions from your employer.

H

Should I max my HSA over FSA then? I'm almost 30 and healthy, same for mrs cyfan and baby cyfan. We don't anticipate having many medical expenses this year

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
With Janet Yellen as Treasury Secretary, there will no longer be a need to even pretend the Fed is an independent body. There will be total coordination between fiscal policy and monetary policy. Again this is also common in so called republics like Cuba, Venezuela and Argentina. The market started to sniff that out in April.

I had hoped Biden would appoint Warren instead. I am kicking myself for even thinking that was possible.

Never going to happen since MA has a (R) governor. He'd get to fill the seat with an (R) and in a close to split senate. Not gonna happen. I like the pick for stocks as stimulas is go-go juice to stonks

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Should I max my HSA over FSA then? I'm almost 30 and healthy, same for mrs cyfan and baby cyfan. We don't anticipate having many medical expenses this year

I don't bother with an FSA anymore. I can't tolerate their "use it or lose it" approach. Personally, I would only mess with an FSA if you are ineligible for an HSA, or you get some kind of employer match.

H

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I don't bother with an FSA anymore. I can't tolerate their "use it or lose it" approach.Personally, I would only mess with an FSA if you are ineligible for an HSA, or you get some kind of employer match.

H
Depends, if self-employed with your own corp, a FSA smokes a HSA.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't bother with an FSA anymore. I can't tolerate their "use it or lose it" approach.Personally, I would only mess with an FSA if you are ineligible for an HSA, or you get some kind of employer match.

H

FSA is good if you have a chronic condition and know you are going to use the money. For example, I have Diabetes, so I know I am going to use the money in an FSA. Additionally, because I have diabetes, I have found that a high deductible health plan doesn't benefit me as the coinsurance costs for my medication are more than what they would be for a co-pay plan.

In general, if you are a relatively health person, a HSA would be the way to go, due to being able to invest the money over long periods of time. I am trying to get my wife to open an HSA, but she's dragging her feet :mad:.

Reactions: cyfan21

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
employed by a large company
Probably a combo then at least until you can get a good amount in your HSA.

My advantage with a FSA is I set a huge number, and then you can reimburse after the expense, it also side steps FICA (both halves since I’m self employed) Right now I have a 25k limit and can get even basic OTC stuff since I oversee my own plan. So I never have the use it or lose it issue.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I went through a year of having some tax liabilities, company stock option purchases, house re-fi, etc. that's all be good; but wasn't able to put as much in my taxable account as I usually do. So, I'm just getting that ramped back up again. I think I'm going to go 50% in and 50% cash for now until things calm down a bit.

I'll probably buy into SP 500 and Boeing, what else are people looking at right now.

AAPL is still at a decent price imo. I’m not sure if I can hold out until it drops below $110.

Reactions: bos

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Delta and Marriott are two that I would be going back into if I did. Tempted to throw some back in, but have other places for it now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron