Coaching Search: Place your bets

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What candidate can retain the talent we do have while bringing in a few good players, that also can overhaul our culture?

I think Fred with a good staff could win with Bolton, Harris, Hunter, Dunn, Foster, Conditt, Johnson, Walker, McGowens. And we’d have a chance at Lipsey
Let's not forget Hinson, who was a very nice piece for Ole Miss. Also McGowens comes in a package deal so that'd be awesome.

Reactions: WhoISthis

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
So if he can do it again here, wouldn't he be able to do it at Nebraska as well? At this point, what do we have to offer to get him to come back?
He is in the process of doing it at Nebraska. And your second question is why I said in my first post that we won't get him cuz idk if the money truck is full enough.

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Win as in a game or two? I could see Fred getting up to a 6-12 conference record with that team.
Let's just say hypothetically Fred brings the McGowen brothers and we keep most of our guys.

Trey McGowens / Tyrese Hunter = two 4 star PG's, one being a vet
Rasir Bolton = vet combo guard who averages 15 ppg
Bryce McGowens = 6'6" 5 star wing
Blake Hinson = 6'7" vet wing who did very well at Ole Miss
Xavier Foster = 7'0" 4 star post

I mean, yeah. That's a s*** load of talent. Fred would be able to win more than "a game or two" with that.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Want: Norman Dale
Get: Pete Bell
Don’t Want: Danny O’Grady

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Want: Dana Altman, Craig Smith, Anthony Grant, Devries in that order

Think gets it: TJ

Don't want: Hoiberg, TJ, Prohm, Moser, Miller

Last edited:

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Since everyone posting on CF these days is a certified college basketball coaching search expert, time to share your knowledge. Answer the following....

Who do you WANT to hire? (Craig Smith)
Who do you think we WILL hire? (TJ)
Who do you definitely NOT want to hire? (Hoiberg)

Go!
Want: Hoiberg (my wife will want to attend more games)
Think: TJ (it is a safe guess)
Don’t want: Moser- he is super annoying.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
The reason that I do not want Fred is that I don't see him doing it again. He was ahead of his time with the transfers and style of play. I think that has now been done by several teams and I just don't see him ruling the transfer market now. So without that blueprint, can he succeed again?

Also, look at the trend of college basketball. There has been a renewed emphasis on tough defense. Fred's teams played none.
This is pretty much my opinion. Maybe he's changed and figured it out, but his short time at NEB so far does not indicate that.

My other fear would be him again running off for NBA 2.0.

May 7, 2020
Want: Fred
Who it will Be Steve Prohm
Don't want: Prohm, TJ

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Want: Hoiberg (my wife will want to attend more games)
Think: TJ (it is a safe guess)
Don’t want: Moser- he is super annoying.

ISU fans don't want Moser. I've seen him coach in person over the years and he is truly a clown on the court. Sure, Loyola people love him because he is winning but it ends there.

Reactions: ISC and Land Shark

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron