Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Admittedly I follow WBB from the periphery, but I do wonder about coach BF. Is it time for him to move on? I respect what he has done for the program but at some point it either doesn't work anymore or doesn't work like it used to.
I think Jamie Pollard will have a closer eye on the program's progression because the next year's team is probably the most talented one in a decade and destined for greater success. His decision on whether to make any change to the program will rely on the outcome of next season.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The Trib always tried over the years, but they've had a revolving door of sportswriters over the past decade. Nobody gets a foothold on the WBB beat anymore. It's more of a "well, who can we spare tonight?" attitude.

Hayes Gardner was the ISU WBB beat for the Trib (Jul 2018 - Nov 2019) and IMO he has done a pretty good job covering our program with some great feature stories, much better than his predecessor whose name I can't remember. After he left, the Trib has no successor for the WBB beat and now it's just Tommy Birch who also covers Iowa Cubs and Drake WBB for the DMReg. I think it's a good opportunity for Connor Ferguson of the CF WBB beat to step up and find good stories and more interesting stuff of our WBB program to write about. Maybe try covering WBB recruiting more. In the meantime, I hope our WBB program can open up a little more to the media, which in turn could draw more attraction from the fanbase.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I wonder just what do people want when they say "more print media". We have had articles about players which has shown what they are doing and who they are. As a former coach you always worry that a reporter tries to get a "gotcha" quote which could come back to hurt a player.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
It takes very little effort for media to get an interview. You can't force people to cover the program.
That's not what I meant. I understand our program can't deny media access. What I meant was when the media conduct interviews, I hope our program can feed them with more information when opportunities come so they can give our program more exposure in a positive way.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think Jamie Pollard will have a closer eye on the program's progression because the next year's team is probably the most talented one in a decade and destined for greater success. His decision on whether to make any change to the program will rely on the outcome of next season.

Bill Fennelly has a lifetime contract that automatically renews each year, he will leave when he wants and there is a 50/50 chance his Son has a chance at the Job when he decides to retire. Jamie Pollard is not going to force out the guy who built and put Iowa State Basketball on the map. I look for CBF to make a run with the current freshmen class and then look to retire. Outside of maybe 5 womens programs who are in a class of there own we can compete with most.

Iowa Hawkeye's once drove Tom Davis out because he could only get them in the tournament and win a game. They then went onto an awful period with Alford followed by a worse period with Linklater or whatever his name was. Sometimes embrace what you have because change is not always good.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What I meant was when the media conduct interviews, I hope our program can feed them with more information when opportunities come so they can give our program more exposure in a positive way.

And the first step of that is an interview actually taking place. Which goes back to my previous point. If they aren't asking for interviews, then there's no interview at which they can "be fed with more information."

Decision-makers at the Register feel that it's not worth covering WBB in-depth, because they think it won't draw enough clicks/hits/sales to make a difference. Not because they've tried and have data to work with, mind you. No, rather it's based on assumption.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Bill Fennelly has a lifetime contract that automatically renews each year, he will leave when he wants and there is a 50/50 chance his Son has a chance at the Job when he decides to retire. Jamie Pollard is not going to force out the guy who built and put Iowa State Basketball on the map. I look for CBF to make a run with the current freshmen class and then look to retire. Outside of maybe 5 womens programs who are in a class of there own we can compete with most.

Iowa Hawkeye's once drove Tom Davis out because he could only get them in the tournament and win a game. They then went onto an awful period with Alford followed by a worse period with Linklater or whatever his name was. Sometimes embrace what you have because change is not always good.
When I said Jamie Pollard would decide whether to make a "change" to the program, it doesn't necessarily mean the head coach job level of change. Our program is in good hands and trending up, IMO what we need in the next 3-4 years to make some tweaks to adapt to the current college WBB playing field better so the program can get back to the glorious days. What degree of change the program needs is likely up to the administration's evaluation of the program and the satisfactory level of the majority of the fanbase, maybe financial aspect as well. I'll always support our WBB program regardless of what happens.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw this stat on another board and thought you guys would like to know.

With the transfer news from Iowa & Maryland yesterday, it's now down to FOUR P5 schools with no transfers -- Stanford, Washington St, UCLA, Ga Tech.

Keep in mind that's transfers either in or out, not just schools losing players to the portal. Here in the Twin Cities no one left, not even the graduating seniors, but Gophers added a player from Kansas. Others like Iowa and ISU have both transfers in and transfers out.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I think BF's son has more like a 95% chance of landing the job when BF retires.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Keep in mind that's transfers either in or out, not just schools losing players to the portal. Here in the Twin Cities no one left, not even the graduating seniors, but Gophers added a player from Kansas. Others like Iowa and ISU have both transfers in and transfers out.
I think the original source meant "transfer-out" only because UCLA recently landed three grad transfers. For some reason he didn't count Minnesota as one of the schools that don't have a "transfer-out". I guess it should be down to 5.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Thanks, that was what I was getting at with the post I deleted as it was wrongly worded.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I think BF's son has more like a 95% chance of landing the job when BF retires.

I completely disagree. I would say 5% chance. JP sees ISU first, relationships second. He did CBF a solid with the lifetime contract, but what you are saying is a step too far.

If Bill was serious about Billy being HC some day, he would be letting him have more exposure and input.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Sorry @BoxsterCy for reporting this. Minnesota has the first player entering the transfer portal this offseason.

Justice Ross is a redshirt freshman (6-0 wing) originally from Des Moines East High School and she has only played 3 games in the past season according to the stats posted on the Gophers' website. You are more familiar with her so please tell us more about her. Do you think Drake and UNI are interested in getting her?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sorry @BoxsterCy for reporting this. Minnesota has the first player entering the transfer portal this offseason.

Justice Ross is a redshirt freshman (6-0 wing) originally from Des Moines East High School and she has only played 3 games in the past season according to the stats posted on the Gophers' website. You are more familiar with her so please tell us more about her. Do you think Drake and UNI are interested in getting her?

I do follow the Gophers casually but have never heard of her and they were short rostered enough to have to play their early HS enrollee. I didn't watch much this year, they weren't good and really messed up with Covid and all so didn't subscribe as I had planned to earlier. Only signed up for the one month so I could catch the ISU/Iowa tilt. They had so many players out with either injuries or Covid that I truthfully lost track of who was who.

Edit: Per Gophers board she been pretty much on the injury list for two years.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I completely disagree. I would say 5% chance. JP sees ISU first, relationships second. He did CBF a solid with the lifetime contract, but what you are saying is a step too far.

If Bill was serious about Billy being HC some day, he would be letting him have more exposure and input.

To be fair, Billy has spent time on the Maryland and Northwestern staffs. But I generally agree with what you're saying.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
To be fair, Billy has spent time on the Maryland and Northwestern staffs. But I generally agree with what you're saying.
Billy is kind of like the cultural bridge between the older coaches and the players on our team. Since he rejoined our program, our recruiting has been trending up and a lot of people gave Billy the credit as a younger generation of coaches who can get through the cultural gap in the program. So I think Billy is a vital piece to our program's success.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What happened with Joens’ dad and Iowa?
This is just from memory so I apologize if I have it wrong, but I believe it goes back to the recruitment of the first Joens daughter, Courtney. She was interested in playing at Iowa but apparently the Iowa coaches wouldn't give her the time of day. She ended up going to Illinois and it was apparent that no Joens would have anything to do with Iowa after that.

Reactions: Cyched

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Just to clear up your description of "spent time on the staffs." Not as a coach, but as a team manager.
His first coaching position at any level of basketball was given to him by his father at Iowa State.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is just from memory so I apologize if I have it wrong, but I believe it goes back to the recruitment of the first Joens daughter, Courtney. She was interested in playing at Iowa but apparently the Iowa coaches wouldn't give her the time of day. She ended up going to Illinois and it was apparent that no Joens would have anything to do with Iowa after that.
No, that's not it. Brian Joens is a grade A jerk - to almost everyone but his family. He was barred from going to Iowa City High basketball games. He regularly gets into fights with the business neighbors of his at the strip mall where Joensy's is located. The IC police know him well.
Ashley Joens, with all of her talent, was under-recruited, because coaches would not put up with her father.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron