Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
No, that's not it. Brian Joens is a grade A jerk - to almost everyone but his family. He was barred from going to Iowa City High basketball games. He regularly gets into fights with the business neighbors of his at the strip mall where Joensy's is located. The IC police know him well. Ashley Joens, with all of her talent, was under-recruited, because coaches would not put up with her father.
Preface: I live in Iowa City, my grown children attended City High and I still attend HS basketball games when possible. I enjoy a pork tenderloin periodically and support local family-owned businesses. In short, I know the Joens family "in passing".

I don't know Tornado man or his reasons for writing such a scathing review, but his post is inaccurate in places and exaggerated in others. I assume he's repeating hearsay rather than having firsthand knowledge.

My observations translated into an opinion. The Joens family has two "businesses", namely the restaurant and basketball. The family appears to be very close; it's not uncommon to see all the girls, including Ashley, in the restaurant at the same time. The restaurant pays the bills. Basketball is a means by which the girls get ahead, obtain a free education and get to travel. The family works hard at both, has invested heavily in both (time & money) and Brian is fiercely protective of both. It's not that hard to understand...

Postscript: I'd still like to hear the Boxster synopsis of Brian Joens "lighting his hair on fire", considering it was described as "unprecedented in midwestern recruiting circles".

Apologies for going off on a tangent in a Kylie Feurbach transfer thread, which is a topic worthy of discussion. I reiterate how much I hate to lose her, especially to the cross state rivals, but I don't think it's CBF's "fault". We don't "run" much and Kylie wants to "run" - she's going to a program that embraces how she wants to play - we can't really fault her for that...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Preface: I live in Iowa City, my grown children attended City High and I still attend HS basketball games when possible. I enjoy a pork tenderloin periodically and support local family-owned businesses. In short, I know the Joens family "in passing".

I don't know Tornado man or his reasons for writing such a scathing review, but his post is inaccurate in places and exaggerated in others. I assume he's repeating hearsay rather than having firsthand knowledge.
Inaccurate? If you are at all involved with City High athletics, you would know that Joens has been banned in the past from attending City High games. Also, his "latest' altercation with his neighbors was with Jimmy John's employees next door to him a couple of weeks ago...

Reactions: undersized_post

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
I agree with you on this. By my observation, our team's appearance is probably governed by the student-athlete code of conduct more strictly than Iowa, which includes what the players can do or say on and off the court. Most of the players on both teams are from the Midwest and sharing a similar background so it's really up to how a program builds its identity and culture. Regardless, as long as both programs are successful, the culture can be different even with the players who share similar personalities, so sometimes it really comes down to if a player wants to buy in and stay on the course to help herself and the respective program achieve the goals.

Our IowaStateWay culture is to embrace who we are and not apologizing for who we aren't, and keep doing the things that got us to where we are day in and day out. Whether it can bring us back the glorious days (Angie Welle and Alison Lacey eras) we've been longing for is to be determined.

Here's a visual comparison of two teams' reactions after hearing their names called on Selection Monday.

Iowa State

Fast forward to 24:20 see a longer version of the team reaction.

Iowa

I agree with you on all of this too. I thought it was disappointing to hear BF talk about how he wasn't going to complain about the locker room situation at the tournament. Advocating for your players publicly isn't the same as complaining.

I really like BF a lot, he is obviously a great coach and person. I do think sometimes things do seem a little outdated in the program regarding culture. I was glad to see them put out the baseball game and ice cream on social media yesterday. I think things like that are important.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
What happened with Joens’ dad and Iowa?

Joens' dad doesn't care for Bluder at all.

I know this because he told me while talking out of his restaurant window while I was waiting in the drive through to pick up Jimmy Johns.

It's well known in my area that if you have to wait long for Jimmy John's Brian will start talking to you through the window :)

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

My observations translated into an opinion. The Joens family has two "businesses", namely the restaurant and basketball. The family appears to be very close; it's not uncommon to see all the girls, including Ashley, in the restaurant at the same time. The restaurant pays the bills. Basketball is a means by which the girls get ahead, obtain a free education and get to travel. The family works hard at both, has invested heavily in both (time & money) and Brian is fiercely protective of both. It's not that hard to understand...

Postscript: I'd still like to hear the Boxster synopsis of Brian Joens "lighting his hair on fire", considering it was described as "unprecedented in midwestern recruiting circles".

Apologies for going off on a tangent in a Kylie Feurbach transfer thread, which is a topic worthy of discussion. I reiterate how much I hate to lose her, especially to the cross state rivals, but I don't think it's CBF's "fault". We don't "run" much and Kylie wants to "run" - she's going to a program that embraces how she wants to play - we can't really fault her for that...
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We all need to be careful about posting what we hear as opposed to what we know. Or at minimum, do not make opinion sound like fact. Sounds like a great, hard working family. If I ever have a chance, I will visit their restaurant.
I know this - nobody outworks Ashley! Nobody! She certainly is skilled, but not overwhelmingly so. She just plays harder than 95% of her opponents - imho.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We all need to be careful about posting what we hear as opposed to what we know. Or at minimum, do not make opinion sound like fact. Sounds like a great, hard working family. If I ever have a chance, I will visit their restaurant.
I know this - nobody outworks Ashley! Nobody! She certainly is skilled, but not overwhelmingly so. She just plays harder than 95% of her opponents - imho.

It will be worth your time. Tenderloins and fries are very good, and the tenderloins are huge.

Reactions: erinmd32

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
We really need to close this discussion as it has wandered quite a distance from the original post. Personally, I've moved on from worrying about the transfer since it is now old news.
Are you sure it isn't headed towards a natural convergence? Queue ominous music, with headline, "Brian Joens responsible for Kylie Feurbach transfer to EIU"! :)

• Creative
Reactions: VeloClone

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Are you sure it isn't headed towards a natural convergence? Queue ominous music, with headline, "Brian Joens responsible for Kylie Feurbach transfer to EIU"! :)
Would this be antithesis or juxtaposition. Anyway, we are at denouement of this work.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I can't speak for Billy's social media/recruiting prowess, but I don't see any impact from him on the schemes, strategy, or developmental pieces of the WBB program. Having been present at random practices and watching him on the bench at games, I honestly don't know what he does.
He s certainly not qualified to be any kind of a head coach IMO. Steyer is the slam dunk choice from the current staff to replace Bill, and Schaben after that.

That's what I'm talking about. If Bill was serious about having Billy succeed him, he would have more involved in strategy, time outs, media, etc.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Hawk fans on their Rivals site regularity talked about his behavior. I think he actually posts their still. Hell, the guy got tossed before the ISU/Iowa game tipoff for getting into it with the parents of the Hawk players. The same Hawk fans regularly have nothing bad to say about the gals, quite the contrary. I am more inclined to believe guys saying bad stuff about the dad when the same guys are saying the daughters are great kids.

The guy had ONE bad day. Has anyone ever seen him disgrace the school or his daughters in Hilton ?

• Haha
Reactions: BoxsterCy

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
He's a psychopath. Did you see the A&M game?

I saw it, and you should be ashamed using that word. He's a dad. You don't know the man and neither do I, but it was the most important game of the year and his daughter and our team got completely screwed by the refs. He was over the top that day, but I don't remember him creating any disturbances the other 28 games.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I saw it, and you should be ashamed using that word. He's a dad. You don't know the man and neither do I, but it was the most important game of the year and his daughter and our team got completely screwed by the refs. He was over the top that day, but I don't remember him creating any disturbances the other 28 games.

I agree that as a parent, you want things more for your kids than you do yourself, so I understand a bit. He was ejected from the Iowa game before it started, so the AM game wasn’t the only one.

Reactions: undersized_post

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I agree that as a parent, you want things more for your kids than you do yourself, so I understand a bit. He was ejected from the Iowa game before it started, so the AM game wasn’t the only one.
The ending of the A&M game was akin to some of the men's basketball screw jobs (Ohio State, Kansas, etc.). Heck, it almost was up to the Michigan State fiasco...and that one claimed our head coach. Is he over the top sometimes...yes, but he certainly is passionate about his daughters and the sports teams that they play on. Granted, I doubt the camera is even on him if the arena is full.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and BCClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The ending of the A&M game was akin to some of the men's basketball screw jobs (Ohio State, Kansas, etc.). Heck, it almost was up to the Michigan State fiasco...and that one claimed our head coach. Is he over the top sometimes...yes, but he certainly is passionate about his daughters and the sports teams that they play on. Granted, I doubt the camera is even on him if the arena is full.
In general I am not a fan of the TV crews putting cameras on family members of players. I don't find it compelling even when it is our team's family members beyond maybe a single look at them. When the director keeps going to the well of zooming in on the family of player A every time player A does something good or when player A's team goes on a roll it starts to become gag inducing and in my opinion often gets in the way of coverage of what we all tuned in to see...you know...THE GAME. How often do we miss some relevant action on the court because of a family member, honey or bench shot? I know I am a stick in the mud, but I tune in to watch the game. Show me the crowd or bench going crazy during a deadball of some sort - a time out, after a foul or during a substitution - not after a made basket and the team is inbounding the ball or after a blocked shot and the other team is going the other way.

Heck, we only got to see the Kane off the back of Woodbury play in a replay because of cutesy director work that missed the play on the court.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
So that's a scoop!! Kylie transferred to Iowa because the restaurants in Ames couldn't match Joensy's food in Iowa City.

Some people will go to great lengths for a nice meal!!

especially since Wallaby's changed the recipe for the Wally Burger. Life in Ames hasn’t been the same.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron