Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If any minor league sport can get an actual fan base it’s soccer, because that is what the neckbeards think being a soccer fan is. Jersey’s, scarves, marching to games, drums, smoke bombs, the ultras section Americans have this weird thing where they skip all the tradition and building in an organic way and just skip to being that West Ham United movie with Frodo in it.

I'm more partial to Eurotrip.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yay - more low paying restaurant and retail jobs that can't be filled.

Why should my tax dollars for an indoor aquatic center in Ames, or retail and a brewery in Cedar Rapids? How many more hotels do they need in downtown Cedar Rapids? How many times is Ames going to try and build a conference center?

I get it, you do not like soccer, however the two projects in DSM (soccer stadium and hockey) have a better chance of being successful than a good chunk of the others that got money.

I mean there is only one right now....

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Not to stroke myself, but I hold a master's degree in Sport Administration and Management, and have written multiple papers on projects such as this (however much larger scale projects, such as Stan Krohnke's $4B privately funded project in LA, and also the Allegiant Stadium and Globe Life Park, so I'm pretty well versed in this topic.

The reason why projections are always amped up is for two things and two things only:

1: Funding
2: Support

It's the same reason why they always project the cost of the project to be lower than it actually will be.

The current trend with new stadiums and other venues is to create a space that can be used 365 days out of the year rather than just the select times per year the stadium has an event going on. It's not like this project is going to be like the Palace of Auburn Hills, where the entire place is surrounded by parking lots.

If you're saying that we shouldn't build a stadium (that has a ton of private backing) that will provide even the slightest of an economic boost on a site that is a complete eyesore to the city, nobody can come up with an idea of what to do with it, just because it could be years, if not decades, until we see an ROI, then I don't know what to tell you, man.

its not a current trend, lol it’s been a thing around for awhile now.
And please find where I said they shouldn’t build it.

The amount of assumptions and putting words in my mouth is rather amusing and makes you look absolutely foolish.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The reason why projections are always amped up is for two things and two things only:

1: Funding
2: Support

It's the same reason why they always project the cost of the project to be lower than it actually will be.

What you're saying here is they lie about the cost and they lie bout the projections in order to get support.

Amazing why people don't support things like this sometimes.

For the record that area sucks balls and I'm fine with it. It's a 23 million dollar facility. Frankly that isn't that much. Ankeny spent that much on a pool not that long ago.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

The amount of assumptions and putting words in my mouth is rather amusing and makes you look absolutely foolish.
26B742EC-19DB-4AE5-A865-F044470E2303.jpeg

Reactions: 06_CY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yep, minimum wage jobs at a soccer stadium and hockey facility are to be used 4 hours a day, 100 days a year is a much better idea.

BTW, Muskieville is full every weekend with soccer,https://www.muscatineiowa.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Soccer-Complex-14, and baseball/softball, http://www.muscatineiowa.gov/facilities/facility/details/Kent-Stein-Park-9, tournaments. All city financed.

And the new stadium in DSM will be a huge draw for soccer in central Iowa with the additional fields. Between Cownie, the proposed complex in Grimes, the Rec Plex in WDM and the fields downtown, the DSM metro will be able to host major youth soccer events in the fall and spring.

The soccer stadium jobs will probably be contracted anyway, so low paying.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Here is the thing. AAA baseball is nothing more than a farm system for MLB. People go to their games to go to a baseball game. They don't care about the actual success of the team because frankly the team doesn't care about the success. That isn't how soccer operates even as poorly as US soccer is set up. Professional soccer isn't going to follow the same path and equal out to the NBA or NFL. It will have it's niche market that likely focuses on smaller cities.

People are saying this is a bad thing because it won't be something they like or comparable to the 2 biggest sports in the country. That isn't the bar for success. The bar for success is will this improve the site it is going to be built on. Currently it is a giant pile of **** so the bar isn't exactly high.
No kidding. I've been to one I-Cub Game since I moved back to Des Moines. AAA Baseball just does not interest me at all for the transient reasons you mentioned.

As for soccer, I went to plenty of USL games @ FC Cincinnati before they moved up to MLS. They had GREAT support as a USL Team.

Personally, I am looking forward to having USL Soccer in Downtown DSM in 2024! The support they will receive will surprise the casual Iowa Sporrtsfan IMO.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
And how often is it full?

I honestly have no idea on an occupancy rate as I don't work there but it does get a lot of business being one of the two or three "higher end" hotels in town. Our church is downtown so we regularly drive by it on Sunday mornings and although not slammed it always has traffic coming and going (during normal times). It has also become one of the big reasons the city has been able to bring in some conferences and tournaments. I believe several if not most of the recent D3 Baseball world series teams stayed there. From my employers side of things it is generally one of two hotels that our customers stay at when visiting.

I don't know if we need two or three more hotels in the downtown area but at least another one would probably be good. I am more excited for the brewery than anything.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Except that isn’t how soccer works. There is no team they are subservient to. You frankly could see it some with the Energy before the NBA teams really took control. People actually cheered for them and the teams tried to win.

In a perfect world you would have a few leagues in the US and everyone could relegate or promote just like in the rest of the world. Even the way they have it set up now most teams aren’t farm teams.
This isn’t entirely true. The Des Moines team would be independent, at least at first, but the USL Championship is around half populated with MLS reserve sides. This might not matter to some people, but games against LA Galaxy II might not be as appealing to folks. Reserve sides take away from the integrity of the competition.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
No kidding. I've been to one I-Cub Game since I moved back to Des Moines. AAA Baseball just does not interest me at all for the tranient reasons you mentioned.

As for soccer, I went to plenty of USL games @ FC Cincinnati before they moved up to MLS. They had GREAT support as a USL Team.

Personally, I am looking forward to having USL Soccer in Downtown DSM in 2024! The support they will receive will surprise the casual Iowa Sporrtsfan IMO.

Great point about Cincy. Their fan support got them to MLS, even jumping ahead of places like Nashville, Austin and St. Louis.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
No kidding. I've been to one I-Cub Game since I moved back to Des Moines. AAA Baseball just does not interest me at all for the tranient reasons you mentioned.

FC Cincy would be absolutely best case scenario. That would be great, though I don’t see Des Moines being that successful. I’d like to be on par with Phoenix, draw 5,000 a game. If we market well maybe we can be like a Las Vegas or even a Louisville.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I think this is the case for all minor league sports. Nobody is a die hard fan of a minor league team. The ability to sell tickets depends on the popularity of the sport in general in the market, the price of tickets, promos etc.

I honestly think the farm system things helps in a case like the I Cubs. Tons of Cubs fans in Des Moines, so there is a natural draw seeing rising prospects or rehabbing stars.
What really sucks about the I-Cubs is that the best prospects play for the AA team and get promoted straight to Chicago from there. The I-Cubs get the occasional rehabber and once in awhile someone like Rizzo makes a real leap, but most of the team are Minor League lifers and loyal soldiers.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What really sucks about the I-Cubs is that the best prospects play for the AA team and get promoted straight to Chicago from there. The I-Cubs get the occasional rehabber and once in awhile someone like Rizzo makes a real leap, but most of the team are Minor League lifers and loyal soldiers.

That's basically every club now right? Seems like all of the top prospects go from AA to MLB and skip AAA or are just there until June the year they will be called up.

This isn’t entirely true. The Des Moines team would be independent, at least at first, but the USL Championship is around half populated with MLS reserve sides. This might not matter to some people, but games against LA Galaxy II might not be as appealing to folks. Reserve sides take away from the integrity of the competition.

Didn't MLS make a new reserve league? Wouldn't that impact some of this stuff in the USL?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That's basically every club now right? Seems like all of the top prospects go from AA to MLB and skip AAA or are just there until June the year they will be called up.

Didn't MLS make a new reserve league? Wouldn't that impact some of this stuff in the USL?
Yeah I believe so on the MLB front.

I missed that about MLS, I think you’re right. This article makes it sound like some teams will still keep a team in the Championship though. But that’s enough of a change to make my original point moot.
https://kennethrusso.com/2020/10/14/mls-to-create-new-reserve-league-starting-in-2021/

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m not a big soccer person but just going off of my limited understanding. Aren’t most of the reserve teams really good too? Like don’t they tend to win the second divisions but can’t move up because their primary club is in the next league up?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m not a big soccer person but just going off of my limited understanding. Aren’t most of the reserve teams really good too? Like don’t they tend to win the second divisions but can’t move up because their primary club is in the next league up?

I think the Red Bulls II won the USL one season. Other than that it’s just been regular clubs (although Orlando is now in the MLS and I think they were a dynasty before becoming Orlando City FC in the MLS)

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

Newsflash: Trends can last more than a few years.

You've gone full mynameisjonas, bud. Never go full mynameisjonas.

Reactions: dosry5