Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
I think the Red Bulls II won the USL one season. Other than that it’s just been regular clubs (although Orlando is now in the MLS and I think they were a dynasty before becoming Orlando City FC in the MLS)

Real Monarchs (RSLs reserve team) won in 2019, but other than them and Red Bull 2 in 2016, the division is usually dominated by the independent clubs. Phoenix Rising and Tampa Bay were supposed to play in the final last year until it got cancelled due to a COVID outbreak in TBs squad. Both are leading their respective conferences again this season. Louisville City has been one of the other very strong clubs in the Eastern Conference and they won a couple titles in 2017 and 2018.

I’m a Phoenix Rising season ticket holder and I can tell you when they face off against one of the MLS affiliated squads they physically outmatch many of the players on the opposing team. Rising played Tacoma (Sounders affiliate) a couple weeks ago and there were several moments where Tacoma players were just getting “little brothered” off the ball often ending up on the ground. I think something like 8 of Tacoma’s starting 11 were teenagers and while you could tell they were skillful players they really struggled with the pace and physicality of the match. Granted, Phoenix is probably one of the most talented rosters in the division, but there is a huge difference between professionals in their mid-20s playing to get noticed by an MLS team and a roster full of MLS academy teenagers.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If this combines with the other soccer facilities being built in the metro we will be able to attract a lot of teams for a lot of tournaments. The hotel stays and restaurants in the entire metro will absolutely love if this happens. I say this as a guy that's traveled to Omaha, KC, Minneapolis, Chicago, St Louis and Bettendorf for tourneys/games. The facilities those places have and number of teams at each event is ridiculous.

There is a tourney in KC the 1st and 2nd weekend in November (girls one weekend and boys next weekend) that has a combined like 600-700 teams that show up. They come from Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Arkansas, South Dakota and Illinois for sure.
There are Minnesota teams at that and other KC tournaments every year as well. Probably fewer at the fall tournament since it conflicts with the high school state soccer tournament in Minnesota.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think this is the case for all minor league sports. Nobody is a die hard fan of a minor league team. The ability to sell tickets depends on the popularity of the sport in general in the market, the price of tickets, promos etc.

I honestly think the farm system things helps in a case like the I Cubs. Tons of Cubs fans in Des Moines, so there is a natural draw seeing rising prospects or rehabbing stars.
This is not true. When Minnesota United was an NASL team they had season ticket holders and avid fans. I didn't have season tickets but we went to a good number of games and followed the team on TV as well. I knew quite a few season ticket holders as well.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Apparently the Menace are 33-0-4 in the regular season since 2018. Does anyone know this? Do they get any media coverage?

Is there a reason to assume that coverage and interest would change if another soccer team comes to town, or if a new stadium is built?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Apparently the Menace are 33-0-4 in the regular season since 2018. Does anyone know this? Do they get any media coverage?

Is there a reason to assume that coverage and interest would change if another soccer team comes to town, or if a new stadium is built?

The Menace will be that team but with paid professionals not College Kids during the summer.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Say it with me y’all: the Menace are not professional soccer.

They are not, they are College Kids. But the Menace will no longer exist as they are today. That Organization will be the Professional Team once they get the Stadium Built.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
They are not, they are College Kids. But the Menace will no longer exist as they are today. That Organization will be the Professional Team once they get the Stadium Built.

And that’s fine. That’s how things work. I was responding to the posters that can’t seem to stop conflating the Menace vs what this new team will be.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
And that’s fine. That’s how things work. I was responding to the posters that can’t seem to stop conflating the Menace vs what this new team will be.

Gotcha, Menace games are fun but no where a Professional Game. Should be interesting to see how thus all plays out.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Good chance to see what soccer in the USA looks like right now on FS1. Fun match, good crowd (**** Austin btw), state of the art facility.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Austin has nailed their stadium atmosphere and then some. It’s too bad their owner is a complete douche canoe.

The Green lights after a goal is pretty ******* cool though. We get to see what CBus brings with their new stadium on Saturday. I’m not going to the match but I will be trolling around the bars and tailgates in the area.m

Been driving past the stadium every Sunday since it was an empty field watching the progress. CoVID was boring lol.