Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Sounds like USL is attempting to take on the MLS. MLS has refused to do promotion and relegation which would make the season for all leagues much more interesting. USL has 3 leagues, which includes the menace in “league 2” (third tier USL) and they are proposing relegation by 2026.
It is my hope that the MLS finally comes around to this format but I doubt that will happen. Maybe just maybe the USL can put out a better product or poach some teams.
Lastly, is this the end of the menace? I do not see a point for two teams. Let’s put all our efforts into a kick ass dsm team and please don’t keep the name. I never understood why menace was a name for an Iowa team to begin with.

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
2nd level, below MLS.
This is awesome. Let's go

There’s 2 divisions in USL so it could be either 2nd or 3rd division. I’m not familiar enough with the plans for the Des Moines franchise to know what division they are aiming for. If they went USL League One (which is the 3rd division) they would have some nice, ready made rivalries with Union Omaha and Forward Madison.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Mia Hamm spoke tonight at the Greater Des Moines Partnership Dinner…seemed generally disinterested in the whole process

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
There’s 2 divisions in USL so it could be either 2nd or 3rd division. I’m not familiar enough with the plans for the Des Moines franchise to know what division they are aiming for. If they went USL League One (which is the 3rd division) they would have some nice, ready made rivalries with Union Omaha and Forward Madison.
DSM is getting USL Championship. Top level of USL.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I’m just researching this tonight but it looks like USL has 3 divisions.
Championship
League One
League Two
Correct. Menace currently play in League Two. This new Des Moines franchise will play in USL Championship, which is the level just below MLS (I suppose you could compare to AAA in baseball).

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Looks like the future home will be perfect distance for a march to stadium from court Ave. This could become a fun tradition. I’m sure the royal mile will be a popular pregame spot.
I’m also seeing Krause group has set up 10 mini pitches around the city. Wish Ames would have gotten one.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Looks like the future home will be perfect distance for a march to stadium from court Ave. This could become a fun tradition. I’m sure the royal mile will be a popular pregame spot.
I’m also seeing Krause group has set up 10 mini pitches around the city. Wish Ames would have gotten one.

Is the future build site the DICO Superfund Site? Area just north of Grays Lake?

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
This is cool. Really hope soccer in America becomes more similar to the international leagues. One national tournament with multiple divisions where you get relegated or promoted based on performance.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So like AAA baseball? So like the I-Cubs.?
I'm not super sure I've only ever been to MLS games. Just a quick Google suggests that this league requires a minimum of 5k seats for their stadiums. So I'm assuming a lot of cities the size of Des Moines probably have suitable venues. Not sure also how many teams are way over the 5k minimum.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Sounds like USL is attempting to take on the MLS. MLS has refused to do promotion and relegation which would make the season for all leagues much more interesting. USL has 3 leagues, which includes the menace in “league 2” (third tier USL) and they are proposing relegation by 2026.
It is my hope that the MLS finally comes around to this format but I doubt that will happen. Maybe just maybe the USL can put out a better product or poach some teams.
Lastly, is this the end of the menace? I do not see a point for two teams. Let’s put all our efforts into a kick ass dsm team and please don’t keep the name. I never understood why menace was a name for an Iowa team to begin with.
Doesn’t it really fall on US Soccer to force it? They run all soccer in the country and could theoretically force them to do relegation. Otherwise they won’t but relegation would help the sport grow in the US IMO.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I really think they need a new name and not the Menace. I like watching the Menace but in Peoples minds the Menace is this small little team of amateurs that is ok to watch. I think if a good core following goes to all the games, this could become something like the I Cubs. Soccer is pretty decent size around Iowa believe it or not. A lot of kids are playing it these days.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I really think they need a new name and not the Menace. I like watching the Menace but in Peoples minds the Menace is this small little team of amateurs that is ok to watch. I think if a good core following goes to all the games, this could become something like the I Cubs. Soccer is pretty decent size around Iowa believe it or not. A lot of kids are playing it these days.
I believe the menace are staying so 0% chance it will be the Menace. I believe ProIowa has a website to submit name ideas.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I believe the menace are staying so 0% chance it will be the Menace. I believe ProIowa has a website to submit name ideas.

Hopefully it has a good name. Something that represents what Des Moines is all about or the history of Des Moines. Not something stupid like the Iowa Wolves when we don't even have wolves.

Reactions: Nor'easter