Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I realize the media rights model has changed and we could be more attractive as networks race for inventory. I also realize we are peaking at a good time, but its hard for me to overcome the thought that if we are such a good candidate to join the BIG 10, we would be there already.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I realize the media rights model has changed and we could be more attractive as networks race for inventory. I also realize we are peaking at a good time, but its hard for me to overcome the thought that if we are such a good candidate to join the BIG 10, we would be there already.

I tend to agree, but you've also answered your own question.

We weren't an attractive option in 2010-11 when they took Nubs. When they added RU & MD, the cable model was still viable and we were safe in the Big 12.

We'll see what this round brings.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I am new to the board, Cytown. I don't know personalities of the various posters, so I am just going to ask if this thought is an educated opinion or do you know something more concrete that allows you to share this view?

Appreciate your insight!
It's realignment. Even when someone thinks they know something they probably don't. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what you read here.

• Winner
Reactions: ruflosn

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
I am new to the board, Cytown. I don't know personalities of the various posters, so I am just going to ask if this thought is an educated opinion or do you know something more concrete that allows you to share this view?

Appreciate your insight!

Same contact that gave me the XF info. These things are fluid but we will be fine regardless.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Thinking about the best case scenario within the worst case scenario (that ISU doesn't latch on elsewhere).

Say all 8 teams stick together as no other league expands. The most valuable addition options are probably BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. Say that we get all of them (BYU would not be sure thing to join this league).

Iowa State would be in a Big 12 East with TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, UCF, and West Virginia, with a protected crossover rivalry against K-State. The West Division includes Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas, K-State, and BYU. Other than K-State, we'd play 3 of those 5 teams every year in football.

I wonder how much money that league is worth. It is not a great league by any means. But it is hard to see a much better outcome available if the B1G, Pac-12, and ACC are all off the table.

It is imperative that JP and WW get this university into one of those three conferences.
There is no way the Big 12 continues to exist after this. Neither ESPN or Fox are going to offer up a TV contract that will be lucrative enough to keep teams happy. It’s all but done at this point.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It’s b10 unless OU and UT stay put. We will know soon.
I normally consider myself a forward thinking strategist. But, I'm humbled on what to do if TX and OK take the incentive and stay in the B12. There's no way I'll ever trust either one of them, but how can you 'secure' from this happening again? Anyone want to discuss this strategy?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I normally consider myself a forward thinking strategist. But, I'm humbled on what to do if TX and OK take the incentive and stay in the B12. There's no way I'll ever trust either one of them, but how can you 'secure' from this happening again? Anyone want to discuss this strategy?

Honestly, the silence out of their camps throughout all of this tells you all you need to know. They’re gone, so really no use discussing a strategy to keep them. We are in a conference controlled by them. They don’t need us at all, and haven’t since the last go around. We are expendable and we’ll never make them the amount of money they see on the horizon. Securing extra teams, or having the other teams get good and competitive around the league wasn’t going to change the Big 12 brand while ESPN was out there actively working to destroy it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
There is no way the Big 12 continues to exist after this. Neither ESPN or Fox are going to offer up a TV contract that will be lucrative enough to keep teams happy. It’s all but done at this point.

I think you missed the point of the post, which is what happens if the major conferences don’t want the Big 12 leftovers. It’s a bad situation. The schools will get much less money. And yet, they will have no other alternatives if that happens.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Honestly, the silence out of their camps throughout all of this tells you all you need to know. They’re gone, so really no use discussing a strategy to keep them. We are in a conference controlled by them. They don’t need us at all, and haven’t since the last go around. We are expendable and we’ll never make them the amount of money they see on the horizon. Securing extra teams, or having the other teams get good and competitive around the league wasn’t going to change the Big 12 brand while ESPN was out there actively working to destroy it.
I agree with everything you've said. Except, that being a strategist you still accommodate the scenario(s) which you think may not happen. And you leverage the scenario to take care of what you deem important. Don't you agree?

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Baylor & OSU are also interested in the BIG

I went over to the Ohio State forum. Both Baylor and OkieSt (there is only one OSU on that forum) were mentioned possibilities for expansion. Baylor is seen as a good basketball school and based in Texas with great recruiting. TCU was also mentioned in regards to the Texas recruiting and good football program. I never saw any mention of Texas Tech or Kansas State as expansion possibilities.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I think you missed the point of the post, which is what happens if the major conferences don’t want the Big 12 leftovers. It’s a bad situation. The schools will get much less money. And yet, they will have no other alternatives if that happens.

They probably don’t want us, but the SEC just hit the jackpot scenario with 16 teams. They’ll beat down all the other conferences if they don’t also move to 16, and the PAC needs eyeballs out east regardless. The money will flow out of B1G and PAC land to the SEC with a giant whooosh as they market their premium content with “the best teams” who “deserve all of the playoff spots”

D

Deleted member 51515

There are definitely some on HawkeyeReport that believe the B1G must expand to 16. Safe to assume ND/Clemson are a pipedream. Who knows if they can attract any Pac 12 schools even though I understand why USC, Stanford, etc would be more attractive than the remaining Big 12 schools.

Assuming the B1G expands to 16 and also assuming they pull from Big 12, then I don't see how OSU is a better fit than ISU. An argument could be made for Baylor and KU based on medical schools though. I don't believe OSU gets in ahead of ISU.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I agree with everything you've said. Except, that being a strategist you still accommodate the scenario(s) which you think may not happen. And you leverage the scenario to take care of what you deem important. Don't you agree?

As a strategist, what do you do about situations that are 99% unlikely, where the 1% chance is also bad for your position?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
As a strategist, what do you do about situations that are 99% unlikely, where the 1% chance is also bad for your position?
The offer I spoke of is reportedly on the table. It'd be short sighted to think they just tossed a number out there. The number, very likely, was arrived at to 'entice' TX and OK into rethinking their position. 1.5 times is a significant boost. SO, I think your 99% may be a bit exaggerated. I'm thinking 60-75% which are both probabilities to start strategizing around. In absence of any plan, the B12 is relegated to the same thing happening if not prepared.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Scenarios in order of ISU preference:
- BIG: Adds 2, ISU and KU to go to 16 members
- BIG: Adds some combination of 4 to go to 18 members (ISU, KU, Houston, WV, other)(unlikely but even broader fan appeal and now Texas market)
- PAC: Adds 4, TxTech, OkieSt, K-St, Houston (other) to go to 16
- PAC: Adds 6, TxTech, OkieSt, K-St, Houston (TCU, Baylor, BoiseSt) to go to 18
- ACC: Adds 4, WV, TCU, USF, EastCarolina (Baylor) to go to 18/19 (ND)
- ACC: Adds 2, WV, UCF (other) to go to 16/17 (ND)
- SEC: Adds 4, tx and ou (booo!)(and two others per Fed) to go to 18
- SEC: Adds 2, tx and ou to go to 16

Limit the NIL. ...Require there to be 64-72 power schools, in the four P4 conferences? That could make everyone happier...
I’ve got this all figured out... I don’t know why they haven’t called me yet (maybe this has been mentioned before):
Consider yourself on the board.

1. OU and Texas go to the SEC to give them 16 teams. They are a part of the SEC west with TAMU, Arkansas, Mizzou, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss St.

2. West Virginia goes to the ACC where they belong, the ACC then adds Cincy or UCF to give them 16 teams/17 teams w/ ND.

3. Okie State, KState, (KU) No, TCU or Houston and Tech go west to form the new Pac 16. They become part of the “East Division” with Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah.

4. Iowa State and Kansas go to the Big Ten (now called the Big 16 AKA B16) (along with Notre Dame) No, to give them 16 teams. West division: ISU, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern. East Division: Purdue, Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, PSU, (ND) No, Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers
Above changes.

5. Baylor and TCU head down to the Mountain West or AAC. Sorry TCU. Suck it Baylor.

I could see ND staying independent in all of this, I could also see them having a bidding war and going to the ACC (ND already partialy in ACC)(then the ACC adds them instead of Cincy or UCF). In that case, KU goes to the newly formed B16 instead, and TCU their spot in the Pac 16s east division. Baylor can still suck a fat one.

Welcome to the “Power 4” era of college football.
I took the liberty to make a couple minor changes, additions. Other than that our plans are similar. We both are on the new college football board by decree! We will get it figured out!

Reactions: jc4cy

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
There is a lot of discussion of how the Big Ten works in regards to AAU status / academic alliance and its impacts on athletics. The Ohio State forum discusses this all the time when conference expansion and merger rumors are reported. Many are frustrated with the public's lack of knowledge regarding the Big Ten research affiliations. This limits the number of possible expansion candidates or having Ohio State and Michigan join the SEC despite what is being reported.

Here are a couple of OSU forum comments discussing the Big Ten academic alliance....

"The B1G is a little about sports and mostly about shared research and shared funds. The schools in the SEC do not measure up when it comes to the massive budgets of Midwestern land grant institutions. Most schools in the SEC couldn’t get into the B1G if they wanted to because they don’t offer as much in this arena. The B1G academic alliance is the main reason for the BIG existence, sports are secondary. Most people don’t seem to get that. While OSU is the big dog for football in the conference, they gain a lot from sharing research with Northwestern, TSUN, and other elite Midwestern universities."

Here is another comment.....

"In order to belong to the B10, a school must be a member of the consortium (UAA or the other one, I always forget which) for research institutions that do joint and or related research projects; mostly funded through government or private grants. In order to qualify for said grants an institution must be a member of the consortium. The by-laws of the B10 require membership in that consortium. That consortium brings in hundreds of times more money than football. And Ohio State will never do anything to jeopardize THAT cash cow.

The Big Ten has ALWAYS been about more than just sports. It's why they were late to the party in letting schools go to other bowl games than the Rose Bowl. It's why for the longest time, their eligibility rules were more stringent than the other conferences. For a long time, the B10 did not allow redshirting. It's why, for a long time, the B10 capped the number of games a team could play n football was one less than the NCAA allowed. The B10 has always had a tradition of not being total sellouts for Ws. Ohio State, in particular, had even stronger restrictions. into the 70s, Ohio State played one less game than other B10 schools. They never just followed the trends in football.

They are part of the deal now. But if you stand to lose the #1 and #10 public research universities? You change the terms and conditions.
Aeschylus, you are so far wrong on this, you're not only out in left field, you're across the street from the stadium. Those two universities aren't going to risk the close to a billion dollars A YEAR in research money for a paltry 40-60 million in football money. Ohio State isn't a football program with a bunch of buildings around it to give the players something to do in their other hours. That's fanboy thinking. It's a world-renowned research institution. Most of the schools in the B10 are. Academics and Research are much more important than football."