Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyder91

Jul 19, 2018
Money both is and isn’t the issue with that deal. Big 12 was a ceiling for them, where the SEC has much greater potential. The Big 12’s money distribution was down for 2 years and the networks didn’t want to renegotiate early (which may or may not have been because of the OU/TX deal months ago). Not to mention the unequal revenue model would destabilize the rest of the teams in the Big 12 making that new “home” likely to fall down in the near future as it takes another huge hit to the conference brand.

Amount of money per team in 2019:
B1G - $55.6 million.
SEC - $45.3 million
Big 12 - Base of $34.5 million, but varied from $38.2 million - $42 million (b/c of Third Tier rights)
ACC - Varied from $27.6 million to $34 million
PAC - $32.2 million, but was lower than that because of the expenses each team had for the PAC Network failure.

So at 1.5, that puts their share at (pre-negotiations) at $63 million and everyone else at $36 million…not going to cut it when you’ve got new deals coming through in other conferences that will surely make up that $8 million gap pretty fast and create an absolute chasm with the other member schools. Now who knows what renegotiation would have gotten us, but trending down it seems likely we wouldn’t be landing a huge deal…so 1.5 of what, actually? Also, it is clear ESPN only wanted to pay OU/TX (they pumped up those brands and destroyed the rest for years) so why not just make a deal with them to switch conferences and take away all our money to give to their other inventory that they’ve spent years cultivating? Why do they need to pay us for OU/TX when they could just pay them and their preferred brands more?
***k ESPN!

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
I've been doing some thinking and have come to the conclusion that I want to see Kansas get into the Big Ten. Personally, I feel that would be our ticket to getting in as well. In order to get into the Big Ten, obviously, they must first show they are interested in expanding. In 2011 when the SEC and ACC announced their intention to go to 14 teams, the Big Ten made the move a year later and followed suite. I think this could maybe be the case again this time.

I don't see the Big Ten raiding the Pac-12. The geography would be just too great of a distance. It might be fine for a once a week football game to fly from College Station, PA to Los Angeles, CA but think about all the other sports. Can you imagine a basketball team, tennis team, swimming team, etc. having to fly 5 hours across the country to compete, then fly back on a Tuesday? The only Pac-12 school I think that might be a reasonable distance is perhaps Colorado. However, I don't think they'd raid the Pac-12. Those two conferences have a long standing relationship of working together. They'd probably only take a Pac-12 school is the Big Ten was the one being approached.

I also think if they do decide to expand, they're not waiting 15 years to do so with the hopes of maybe getting their prized cow in North Carolina. Tobacco road runs the ACC, I don't think they'd leave. Other schools like Virginia and Georgia Tech I think are also pretty strong in their ties there. They'd almost certainly talk to explore options, but when push comes to shove, I'm not convinced they'd bolt.

So I'm left with the Big Ten being likely to do 1 of 2 things:
1) Stay at 14
2) Add Kansas because of the eyeballs they bring for basketball. They know KU vs Michigan State, KU vs Wisconsin, etc. would be of interest to a lot of fans across the country and likely a ranked matchup every single time. Additionally, KU makes the tournament every spring. Having yet another team making it into the tournament, getting to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc. would make the Big Ten look even better and get additional payout by the NCAA.

I think Iowa State's best chance at getting into the Big Ten is the same way Utah got into the Pac-12. They picked up Colorado and then needed another solid program, who definitely wasn't their ideal candidate, but they met the requirements and were added to even things out. I think if Kansas gets added to the Big Ten, there's hope for Iowa State because if they go to 15 teams, they're going to want one more team to even things out and won't want to wait until 2036 for it to maybe happen. If that's the case, I hope ISU is the one that gets the call and not a Colorado team that has expressed interest as well because of how much better the Big Ten pays.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I've been doing some thinking and have come to the conclusion that I want to see Kansas get into the Big Ten. Personally, I feel that would be our ticket to getting in as well. In order to get into the Big Ten, obviously, they must first show they are interested in expanding. In 2011 when the SEC and ACC announced their intention to go to 14 teams, the Big Ten made the move a year later and followed suite. I think this could maybe be the case again this time.

I don't see the Big Ten raiding the Pac-12. The geography would be just too great of a distance. It might be fine for a once a week football game to fly from College Station, PA to Los Angeles, CA but think about all the other sports. Can you imagine a basketball team, tennis team, swimming team, etc. having to fly 5 hours across the country to compete, then fly back on a Tuesday? The only Pac-12 school I think that might be a reasonable distance is perhaps Colorado. However, I don't think they'd raid the Pac-12. Those two conferences have a long standing relationship of working together. They'd probably only take a Pac-12 school is the Big Ten was the one being approached.

I also think if they do decide to expand, they're not waiting 15 years to do so with the hopes of maybe getting their prized cow in North Carolina. Tobacco road runs the ACC, I don't think they'd leave. Other schools like Virginia and Georgia Tech I think are also pretty strong in their ties there. They'd almost certainly talk to explore options, but when push comes to shove, I'm not convinced they'd bolt.

So I'm left with the Big Ten being likely to do 1 of 2 things:
1) Stay at 14
2) Add Kansas because of the eyeballs they bring for basketball. They know KU vs Michigan State, KU vs Wisconsin, etc. would be of interest to a lot of fans across the country and likely a ranked matchup every single time. Additionally, KU makes the tournament every spring. Having yet another team making it into the tournament, getting to the sweet 16, elite 8, etc. would make the Big Ten look even better and get additional payout by the NCAA.

I think Iowa State's best chance at getting into the Big Ten is the same way Utah got into the Pac-12. They picked up Colorado and then needed another solid program, who definitely wasn't their ideal candidate, but they met the requirements and were added to even things out. I think if Kansas gets added to the Big Ten, there's hope for Iowa State because if they go to 15 teams, they're going to want one more team to even things out and won't want to wait until 2036 for it to maybe happen. If that's the case, I hope ISU is the one that gets the call and not a Colorado team that has expressed interest as well because of how much better the Big Ten pays.

I hope we are always in the same conference/division/pod with KU. I love the basketball rivalry. (May be the more underrated in the country.) One of the reasons I became an ISU fan as a kid. Those ISU/KU Johnny Orr/Grayer/Hoiberg classics.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
I hope we are always in the same conference/division/pod with KU. I love the basketball rivalry. (May be the more underrated in the country.) One of the reasons I became an ISU fan as a kid. Those ISU/KU Johnny Orr/Grayer/Hoiberg classics.

Hard to guess the future but it could well be a little more vitriol to it as they will lose the K State and OU factions down the road.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I agree that any rumblings about KU to the B1G are good news for ISU. Our best shot of getting in is the two of us going together.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Damn. I didn’t know about the GOR with ACC part. I kinda figured the “Notre Dame to the Big 10” thing was a super long shot but it would shut up the Big 10 (aka Hawk) fans that would whine about how “the SEC got OU and Texas and we only got KU and ISU.”
Still hopes that, whatever happens, Baylor ends up in the American or Mountain West.

The ACC GoR is an obstacle. But if all parties see that moving to the B1G is in their long term interest (ie: ACC per school payout is nowhere near the B1G and ND/Clemson would give the B1G perennial playoff contenders), GoR restructuring, terminations and buyouts could all be on the table.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I believe people are overstating KU's value to the Big 10 and understating ISU's value.

While KU would bring a blue blood basketball program (that's under investigation for major violations), they also would bring the worst football program and worst football facilities in the country.

Football is king - it's not even close. I actually think the Big 10 presidents and AD's perceive ISU as the more attractive option because of ISU's exponentially better football program, existing relationship with the Big 10, and geographic location.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I believe people are overstating KU's value to the Big 10 and understating ISU's value.

While KU would bring a blue blood basketball program (that's under investigation for major violations), they also would bring the worst football program and worst football facilities in the country.

Football is king - it's not even close. I actually think the Big 10 presidents and AD's perceive ISU as the more attractive option because of ISU's exponentially better football program, existing relationship with the Big 10, and geographic location.

I think you're right. This isn't 10-12 years ago. We have some manic depressive Eeyore fans who don't want to admit ISU was a top-10 football team last year, and ISU is a top-10 football team this year.

salennon07

Aug 4, 2016
  • Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I don't quite get this article. It has WV to the ACC, TCU to the PAC-12, and ISU to the BIG-10 all which make sense, but it has everyone else to the AAC. Who are the other teams that are going to the ACC, PAC-12, and BIG-10 to make an even number of teams?