Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
nothing would please me more than to have us and one of the other 7 schools in the Big 12 Championship game in probably the last year of the conference....would be the icing on the cake

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't quite get this article. It has WV to the ACC, TCU to the PAC-12, and ISU to the BIG-10 all which make sense, but it has everyone else to the AAC. Who are the other teams that are going to the ACC, PAC-12, and BIG-10 to make an even number of teams?

Yeah, the math doesn't work. For ACC it does, if we assume ND is "the 16th." That leaves us with BigTen15 and Pac-13 (with no other unattached P5s).

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Does anyone really think we'll get into the B1G? I'm skeptical just based on the equal money distribution. I don't think we would add a ton of value and it would be just cutting more slices of the pie. I'm trying to keep my expectations low.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Does anyone really think we'll get into the B1G? I'm skeptical just based on the equal money distribution. I don't think we would add a ton of value and it would be just cutting more slices of the pie. I'm trying to keep my expectations low.
Yeah, I think it is best case scenario but I don't think it is likely. I think Pac 12 is more likely or some kind of new Big 12 is more likely.

Reactions: agentbear

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I think the cliff notes version is the Big 10 may be compelled to expand due to either Fox wanting more content, and/or SEC/Disney pushing for the conferences that team up to break away from the NCAA to all be at 16. While Big 10 would love to grab the likes of Clemson, ND, and maybe UNC, the ACC grant of rights is a massive obstacle. Maybe they try to grab PAC powers like USC and Oregon, but that seems pretty tough logistically.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I’ve spent the past week trying to convince myself that this is going to happen. I just can’t get there. The Big Ten adding KU and ISU as a response to the SEC gaining two power brands like Texas/OU would look weak nationally. If I’m the Big Ten, I just can’t see why I would make that move.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98 and awd4cy

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017

So here's the scenario that gives me hope:
1) ESPN just devalued the B12, which affects FOX's sports inventory. They may decide the best way to recoup that loss is to ask the B1G to expand.
2) The ACC and Notre Dame hold pat. Very possible with their current contracts. Unlikely the B1G raids the PAC12 because of geography.
3) Missouri stays in the SEC. Very likely now that the SEC is looking like the super conference of the future.
4) The best properties remaining are KU, ISU, Cincy, and OkState. tOSU vetoes Cincy because they don't want in-state competition. I like ISU's odds of being one of the two chosen at this point.

Reactions: wazz51

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, the math doesn't work. For ACC it does, if we assume ND is "the 16th." That leaves us with BigTen15 and Pac-13 (with no other unattached P5s).
Not to mention the article is pretty dumb in general, or it least worded in a very dumb way. It talks about Okie St. as it might be a candidate for the PAC, but could be lured into the AAC to be the face of the conference. There's some bad takes suggesting that in the face of 4 super conferences being left out will be a demotion, but life will carry on. It will absolutely be armageddon for those left out in that scenario.

The other view in general that I am skeptical of is the idea that conferences aren't setting the stage to jettison low-value members. There are serious barriers to doing it, but there are some really low value schools in terms of sports media in power conferences right now - Vandy, Wake, BC, Rutgers, Northwestern, to name a few. Hell, you could get enough votes in all the major conferences to dissolve, leaving the low men on each totem pole for a breakaway league of 40-50 teams.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Really what a silly article, hell its nothing more than click bait, but I do like ISU in the Big 10 but outside of that its complete garbage.

Kansas going to the ACC I could see, if the big 10 is off the board, but if that is the case, then why are they taking ISU, staying at 15 teams would make no sense.
Why would the ACC need WV if they take KU, they already have 15 teams in the conference now with ND doing everything but football, they are not going to 16 for football, plus ND's 5 games just to add WV.
TT, KSU, OSU to the AAC, I bet that they are going to love getting that 10 to 15 million now in TV rights, but somehow TCU is going to go to the Pac 12 and they are going to have a 13 team league.

Overall just a silly write up of the entire situation, but I do line ISU to the big 10.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I’ve spent the past week trying to convince myself that this is going to happen. I just can’t get there. The Big Ten adding KU and ISU as a response to the SEC gaining two power brands like Texas/OU would look weak nationally. If I’m the Big Ten, I just can’t see why I would make that move.

Think of it less as adding ISU/KU and more of securing exclusive rights to OSU/Mich. FOX has a chance to take full rights to OSU/Mich. We’d be thrown in as fodder to maintain inventory.

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
When the dust settles from this latest realignment earthquake, if we end up with two gigantic conferences that include all of the 'haves', and several little conferences that include all of the 'have nots', it will lead to the downfall of college athletics. When you ostracize half of the major universities and their fan bases, apathy will follow.

Apparently $50 million per school per year is not enough for the 'haves'. Their greed is going to destroy the entire landscape.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I expect things to start rolling within the next week or so with the rest of the Big 12 teams. I think whatever is going to happen regarding realignment (or whatever this ends up being) will happen soon.

We may just end up with announcements that the Big12 (as it is now) will exist through the end of the current contracts, and announcements of where the rest of the schools will end up.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Some talk of agreeing to current compensation until the next go round.

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015

KU to AAC makes sense, but Okie St to AAC seems like a stretch. OSU has a very solid football brand, great facilities,storied athletic tradition and proximity to TX markets and recruits. From a football point of view, ISU and Okie St to the B1G make a lot of sense: both would be contenders for lucrative playoff spots.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
One thing's for sure. I won't miss any of these teams from this ******** conference.
Good riddance, Big 12. Let's go do something better, like the Big 10.

I’ll miss the old Big 8 peers that are in the same boat. KSU, KU and OSU. Assuming we don’t go with them.

**** OU and UT

Indifferent to Tech and TCU

Baylor = laffy

Help Support Us

Become a patron