If the B12 remains intact and moves forward

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
They WILL keep the name. And as I said, play better football than the ACC and PAC...and often better than the B1G on the field. Best of all...they'll keep that access to the playoffs that comes with being P5. Losing OUUT sucks and of course will be felt deeply...that can be true whilst it is also true that the Big 12 remains a power conference with access to the playoffs.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
We'll see which conferences are better on the field very soon.

WVU v Maryland
Iowa State v Iowa
OU v Nebraska
Cincinnati v Indiana

You'll note that of those 4 are likely in the "new" Big 12...so I guess we'll see how the future leagues compare.

My guess is new Big 12 goes 3-0...what's your guess?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
All this discussion makes me wonder that if the Big 12 should continue on in one form or another, would it be wise to maintain the original Big 12 name or would it be better to re-brand the conference because of all the negative perception associated with the current name? I think I could argue both sides on that one.

CyclonimusPrime

Aug 18, 2021
Ames
So have we accepted the fact that the Big 12 is going to expand with a revenue hit yet or are we still hopeful we get placed in another conference?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We'll see which conferences are better on the field very soon.

WVU v Maryland
Iowa State v Iowa
OU v Nebraska
Cincinnati v Indiana

You'll note that of those 4 are likely in the "new" Big 12...so I guess we'll see how the future leagues compare.

My guess is new Big 12 goes 3-0...what's your guess?

Maybe. Those teams from the BIG suck and they are not the reason BIG makes big bucks. BIG makes the big money DESPITE having those teams. Not because they have those teams.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Because the two programs that generate an 14 million dollars per team, will pay whatever settlement they agree to, and go to the sec.

I am not surprised you don’t understand this, sadly.
You might be right that both schools are willing to pay the $80M exit fee and forego their $40Mish in annual media rights for FY 2023 to 2025.

But with the talk of not expanding to 12 playoff teams or delaying to 2026, maybe OU/UT are willing to hang in Big12 a few years. Litigation could slow the process as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
All this discussion makes me wonder that if the Big 12 should continue on in one form or another, would it be wise to maintain the original Big 12 name or would it be better to re-brand the conference because of all the negative perception associated with the current name? I think I could argue both sides on that one.
You keep it at first no matter what. It has P5 branding. A new name would possibly lose that. After 6 years if your results are P6 level, then maybe a change.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think BYU has a niche brand that can give them national appeal.

Cincinnati has been pretty good, remember brian Kelly stopped returning Jamie’s calls because he saw that as a better job to move on from. But they are not even second in their own state
Who is 2nd in Ohio?

Reactions: Neptune78

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Maybe. Those teams from the BIG suck and they are not the reason BIG makes big bucks. BIG makes the big money DESPITE having those teams. Not because they have those teams.

Performance eventually matters...case in point being the PAC. They suck on the field and so nobody cares when they play. If the B1G continues in that vein...admittedly a much more committed fan base...that eventually impacts pay and everything else.

Its about markets. But its not ONLY about markets. You still have to put a good product on the field....and if you DO put a good product on the field that will eventually make money for you. That rule applies to the Big 12 which is PRECISELY why Campbell's response to realignment was "just win".

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Indiana is highly rated and picked by many to challenge OSU in the East with hopes to play in the conference championship game. Likewise for Iowa. Nebraska is a legendary and "elite" program we're told. Maryland part of the great new "adds" to make for stronger conference. Not sure where you're coming from with your comment.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Beating Iowa won’t do **** for Iowa State’s national perception. Jesus.

winning the big 12 and beating ou in Arlington, isn’t going to change any narrative other than holy **** Matt Campbell is one of the very very top coaches in college football, and he will be at Michigan or the nfl next year.

getting into a p4, keeping the current staff, and winning consistently in the next conference will change the perception, not winning in the leftovers and 4 schools no one cares about outside of their fan base league

and so you know sir, I’ll bet you that my donations to Iowa state are more than yours.

THere is not going to be a P4. There are going to be 5 Autonomous conferences, including the Big 12.

What matters is who you play. ISU in a new Big 12 could very well end up playing 4-5 ranked teams every year. A conference like that is more than adequate to have a seat at the table.

Do you know how many Top 25 teams Clemson will play this year? as of right now?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Indiana is highly rated and picked by many to challenge OSU in the East with hopes to play in the conference championship game. Likewise for Iowa. Nebraska is a legendary and "elite" program we're told. Maryland part of the great new "adds" to make for stronger conference. Not sure where you're coming from with your comment.

If Penix plays, then yes, Indiana is pretty decent. If he doesn't, they are pretty average.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Army was legendary. In the 1940’s. Minnesota was legendary more than half a century ago. It has been decades since Mebraska was legendary.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
You might be right that both schools are willing to pay the $80M exit fee and forego their $40Mish in annual media rights for FY 2023 to 2025.

But with the talk of not expanding to 12 playoff teams or delaying to 2026, maybe OU/UT are willing to hang in Big12 a few years. Litigation could slow the process as well.

How long did it take Nebraska and Missouri and a&m to leave?

There’s no way they will let this go to court, and so espn will pay (although we were told their lawyers will stop that), and that will include a bulk payout to each school and a new GOR