NFL: NFL Considering Expansion

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I don’t believe the lawsuit will lead to an expansion team for st Louis. The nfl absolutely screwed the city and the city leaders are pissed and have the nfl by the balls.
I follow some of the St. Louis sports reporters and the sentiment across the city is that they will not build a stadium through public financing anymore. Building a new stadium (which is what stl will demand) as well as an expansion team will be more expensive then the bullion or so stl will win.
I guess the billion dollar question is will that be prioritized over Kroenke and the nfl getting humiliated if this thing goes to court

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I stand by that claim 100%. Worst ever.
The Rams owner moving out of St Louis and telling the other owners to commit fraud (or whatever dirty deed to exit StL) but he’ll take the blame only to back out of covering losses and potentially causing the shield and it’s owners BILLIONS in damages could be worse…

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
36 teams means six divisions of 3 in each conference. Play your own division home and away (4 games), two of the other five in your own conference (6 games), two of the six in the opposite conference (6 games), and then two games against teams that finished in the same position as you in their division from the remaining three divisions in your conference. That’s 18 games, 16 of which are shared with your divisionmates for fairness.

8 playoff teams per conference; no byes. But the two wild cards get seeds 7 and 8 to promote winning divisions.

If they expanded with STL, SA, LON, and TOR, divisions could look something like:
NFC:
1 - SEA, SF, LAR
2 - ARI, STL, NO
3 - MIN, GB, CHI
4 - TB, ATL, CAR
5 - NYG, PHI, DET
6 - DAL, SA, WAS

AFC:
1 - LV, LAC, DEN
2 - HOU, KC, IND
3 - CIN, CLE, PIT
4 - NYJ, NE, LON
5 - MIA, JAX, TEN
6 - BAL, BUF, TOR

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
36 teams means six divisions of 3 in each conference. Play your own division home and away (4 games), two of the other five in your own conference (6 games), two of the six in the opposite conference (6 games), and then two games against teams that finished in the same position as you in their division from the remaining three divisions in your conference. That’s 18 games, 16 of which are shared with your divisionmates for fairness.

8 playoff teams per conference; no byes. But the two wild cards get seeds 7 and 8 to promote winning divisions.

If they expanded with STL, SA, LON, and TOR, divisions could look something like:
NFC:
1 - SEA, SF, LAR
2 - ARI, STL, NO
3 - MIN, GB, CHI
4 - TB, ATL, CAR
5 - NYG, PHI, DET
6 - DAL, SA, WAS

AFC:
1 - LV, LAC, DEN
2 - HOU, KC, IND
3 - CIN, CLE, PIT
4 - NYJ, NE, LON
5 - MIA, JAX, TEN
6 - BAL, BUF, TOR

Good work analyzing & constructing divisions/playoff setup.

But wow, that would blow up a TON of longtime division rivalries.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
No player is going to want to move to Mexico. They would lose every player once they are eligible for free agency. They would have a nightmarish time signing free agents. Mexico City and London would be horrendous for the players.
A lot of people probably think of Mexico City as being by Texas..It is a long way from Texas. Think of driving to Las Vegas from Des Moines. That's how far away Mexico City is from the Texas border.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The Rams owner moving out of St Louis and telling the other owners to commit fraud (or whatever dirty deed to exit StL) but he’ll take the blame only to back out of covering losses and potentially causing the shield and it’s owners BILLIONS in damages could be worse…

Yeah...he was Jerry Jones' puppet during this move...it was orchestrated by Jones...Kroenke (sp??) is a greedy guy for sure but he had full-support of Jerry at the time! Maybe Jerry is being given a bit of his own medicine!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why do pro leagues always recycle the same cities? “Oh, it didn’t work these other two times, but I’m sure THIS time it will work out and be successful!”
For the same reason people seem to start dating their ex spouse. They may have slept around and had a drinking problem, but I’m familiar with those problems.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Everybody knows Mexico City has a nice part to it with lots of rich white people. Great.

Still wouldn't want to live there. Isn't it one of the most polluted cities in the world? Maybe they've improved that. It's also sinking and over crowded. Oh, and it's in Mexico. No thanks.
I personally know someone who was kidnapped and held for ransom in Mexico City. BY COPS.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA

There may be worse people that are owners but the Spanos clan has a unique combination of sheer ineptness, a trust fund baby’s sense of “the world owes me everything”, and a complete lack of willingness to actually work for anything. Poppa Spanos made a killing in real estate development and handed his kids the golden goose off an NFL team. His kids, and now his grandkids, have spent the last thirty years doing everything they can to run it into the ground. If there was an open market option to bet against the Spanos decisions you could make a fortune. Everything they do turns out wrong.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Browns fans would probably tell you Art Modell was the worst owner in sports; basically moving the team overnight to Baltimore. It does blow the Chargers are no longer in San Diego though - its where they belong.

Reactions: sunset

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL

NFC:
1 - SEA, SF, LAR
2 - ARI, STL, NO
3 - MIN, GB, CHI
4 - TB, ATL, CAR
5 - NYG, PHI, DET
6 - DAL, SA, WAS

AFC:
1 - LV, LAC, DEN
2 - HOU, KC, IND
3 - CIN, CLE, PIT
4 - NYJ, NE, LON
5 - MIA, JAX, TEN
6 - BAL, BUF, TOR
Following your conferences, here is what that looks like on the map:

NCF: I put WAS with PHI+NYG, DET with STL+NO, and ARI with DAL+SA
1636645924846.png

AFC:
1636646384507.png

If they go with MC instead of LON, I would group them with HOU+MIA, then do JAX+TEN+KC, IND+CLE+CIN, PIT+BUF+TOR, and BAL+NE+NYJ.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Browns fans would probably tell you Art Modell was the worst owner in sports; basically moving the team overnight to Baltimore. It does blow the Chargers are no longer in San Diego though - its where they belong.
It wasn't quite overnight. There were at least negotiations with the city which led to the team name and history not leaving with the club. Now the Colts on the other hand...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

NFC:
1 - SEA, SF, LAR
2 - ARI, STL, NO
3 - MIN, GB, CHI
4 - TB, ATL, CAR
5 - NYG, PHI, DET
6 - DAL, SA, WAS

AFC:
1 - LV, LAC, DEN
2 - HOU, KC, IND
3 - CIN, CLE, PIT
4 - NYJ, NE, LON
5 - MIA, JAX, TEN
6 - BAL, BUF, TOR

6x6 would seem more obvious to me.

Keeping your set of teams...

NFC
East = CAR, DAL, NYG, PHI, TOR, WAS
Central = CHI, DET, GB, MIN, STL, TB
West = ATL, AZ, NO, LAR, SF, SEA

AFC
East = BUF, JAX, LON, MIA, NE, NYJ
Central = BAL, CIN, CLE, IND, PIT, TEN
West = DEN, HOU, KC, LV, LAC, SA

Breaks the two south divisions up, but they have the weakest rivalries.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneEggie

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
6x6 would seem more obvious to me.

Keeping your set of teams...

NFC
East = CAR, DAL, NYG, PHI, TOR, WAS
Central = CHI, DET, GB, MIN, STL, TB
West = ATL, AZ, NO, LAR, SF, SEA

AFC
East = BUF, JAX, LON, MIA, NE, NYJ
Central = BAL, CIN, CLE, IND, PIT, TEN
West = DEN, HOU, KC, LV, LAC, SA

Breaks the two south divisions up, but they have the weakest rivalries.
Atlanta and New Orleans in the West bothers me (Just like it does in the NBA), need to come up with names for conferences that aren't geographic in nature if you're gonna go this route IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Canada has their own football league, CFL. When I see their games on TV, their stadiums aren't that full. But maybe they prefer NFL over CFL.

Depends on the fanbase. CFL is similar to American college in that places that don't have NHL or NBA franchises draw extremely well (Saskatchewan, Hamilton) and in the big markets, it's down the totem pole (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver).

I have a lot of family in Canada, and the impression I get is that almost everyone who gives a **** about sports follows CFL, but only about half the franchises draw good attendance. Saskatchewan, Hamilton, Edmonton, and Winnipeg are probably the best attended percentage-wise. A lot of the big market teams have moved into smaller stadiums recently to create a better atmosphere.

I've been to the Winnipeg stadium shortly after it opened. It's absolutely gorgeous. Saskatchewan's new stadium is across the road from where my grandpa grew up, and that's an awesome stadium too.

6726131.jpg

mosstadium.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron