Down goes Freddy

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
There was an AP article on the register website yesterday discussing it. I’m surprised nebraska released the scanned ticket numbers.

Eh, I'm not. New AD wanting to build as much justification as he can for firing Fred given the buyout that his predecessor negotiated with him. It won't be popular to spend that much money firing a basketball coach over there.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm and Die4Cy

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I guess I tend to believe that all of the noise about his leaving being imminent had more to do with him not being able to land the top notch talent in those last couple of years rather than him not trying. Just like I believe that the impending relegation of ISU to the MAC that the sports media couldn't stop assuring us was happening hurt Rhoads on the recruiting trail right when he should have been capitalizing on the Insite Bowl win with recruits. That was a hole from which Rhoads was never able to extricate himself.
I do believe the Hoiberg became really frustrated when Rashad Vaughn flipped to UNLV. He and Matt had really built that relationship and Vaughn had even tweeted a birthday wish to Fred's wife. Then his handler got a "job" working for a UNLV booster and everything changed. I even think that Ejim having that huge game right after the flip was Fred's way of saying, "This is what you could have been if you'd gone to ISU." I know it's a bit conspiratorial but these are my thoughts. I really think that Fred was sort of damaged by this one.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Rashad Vaughn going to UNLV was one of the more painful misses that I can recall in the history of ISU hoops. Definitely left a mark.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do believe the Hoiberg became really frustrated when Rashad Vaughn flipped to UNLV. He and Matt had really built that relationship and Vaughn had even tweeted a birthday wish to Fred's wife. Then his handler got a "job" working for a UNLV booster and everything changed. I even think that Ejim having that huge game right after the flip was Fred's way of saying, "This is what you could have been if you'd gone to ISU." I know it's a bit conspiratorial but these are my thoughts. I really think that Fred was sort of damaged by this one.

I think it was actually a small series of related events...

-- Vaughn painfully flips in the way you described.

-- Vaughn was clearly earmarked as the starting SG the next year.

-- Replace Vaughn with Dejean-Jones as a transfer. We thought it was an upgrade at the time (and maybe it would have been had BDJ been as advertised...) given BDJ's age and experience.

-- Season starts off well. BDJ seems to fit in and plays well.

-- Iowa game happens. You know what I'm talking about. Win anyways without BDJ.

-- He never seems to get out of the doghouse after that. Eventually loses starting spot.

-- Feeling around the program just gets worse and worse.

-- Piss away chance to win Big 12 regular season with a 4-0 finish. Couldn't even go 3-1 for the tie. End up finishing 2-2, though at least they played well in Kansas City.

-- UAB. Chair-throwing at halftime. BDJ throwing a fit on television.

Fred says, "I just wanted a high-level shooting guard. Is that so much to ask? Instead I get years of work burned in a moment by the corruption of the sport and an all-time headache to deal with."

Says he doesn't need this and takes the NBA cash.

If Vaughn became a Cyclone, then none of this happens.

Vaughn was the butterfly that flapped its wings.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
The best NBA players of "the era" are Morris and Niang.

They're ahead of everybody else in minutes by a mile.

I would guess Haliburton and Horton-Tucker eventually catch them.

But for now, Monté and Georges -- the two quintessential Fred guys -- are doing fine.

I think you missed the point. He was talking about players that left early. Monte and Niang were four year players. Prohm did not get four years from THT or TH. So who knows how his teams would have fared if he got another year or two from them.

Double edged sword, success in landing talents like THT and TH that can go pro early, but it is hard for a school like ISU to keep a solid roster year-to-year when the main talent leaves early.

And I am not a Prohm apologist, he needed to go, and I am thrilled with TJ.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Rashad Vaughn going to UNLV was one of the more painful misses that I can recall in the history of ISU hoops. Definitely left a mark.
It really wasn’t. Bryce Desean Jones was better than Rashad for the 2014-15 season. Honestly, don’t think Rashad was ever better than BDJ. Fred still would have left whether he got Rashad or not.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think it was actually a small series of related events...

-- Vaughn painfully flips in the way you described.

-- Vaughn was clearly earmarked as the starting SG the next year.

-- Replace Vaughn with Dejean-Jones as a transfer. We thought it was an upgrade at the time (and maybe it would have been had BDJ been as advertised...) given BDJ's age and experience.

-- Season starts off well. BDJ seems to fit in and plays well.

-- Iowa game happens. You know what I'm talking about. Win anyways without BDJ.

-- He never seems to get out of the doghouse after that. Eventually loses starting spot.

-- Feeling around the program just gets worse and worse.

-- Piss away chance to win Big 12 regular season with a 4-0 finish. Couldn't even go 3-1 for the tie. End up finishing 2-2, though at least they played well in Kansas City.

-- UAB. Chair-throwing at halftime. BDJ throwing a fit on television.

Fred says, "I just wanted a high-level shooting guard. Is that so much to ask? Instead I get years of work burned in a moment by the corruption of the sport and an all-time headache to deal with."

Says he doesn't need this and takes the NBA cash.

If Vaughn became a Cyclone, then none of this happens.

Vaughn was the butterfly that flapped its wings.
Not really, Fred always wanted to coach in the NBA.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The other piece of getting Vaugh is that is maybe helps establish a Minnesota pipeline to ISU.
There were so many super high level players that have come out of MN since then. Obviously most of guys ended up at the bluest of blue bloods, but what if getting Vaughn helps land a few of those guys?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Can I get some of what you're smoking. Prohm and 15 wins with what NU has coming back?
Maybe Prohm would hire a bunch of fathers or brothers of top recruits as assistant coaches . . . . never seen a school do that before.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Remember when his biggest problem was that fans would ask for autographs when he would go to Hickory Park?

“I’d rather live and coach in the 2 gallon tank where everyone hates me than live in a fishbowl where everyone loves me”

-Fred probably and JSB for sure

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not really, Fred always wanted to coach in the NBA.

Sure, but I'm pretty sure the notion he wouldn't have to deal with corruption like the Vaughn situation or cancers like BDJ probably made that decision even easier for him.

Reactions: larry

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Sure, but I'm pretty sure the notion he wouldn't have to deal with corruption like the Vaughn situation or cancers like BDJ probably made that decision even easier for him.
Sure, but no matter what, Fred was still going to aim for the Bulls opening.