***Big 12 Championship (Sat.-Sun.; Tulsa)***

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I'm sure it's been talked about in here already but when do they announce the at large wrestlers?

They are today but what time?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Only if we lose the first match again and essentially lose the tournament. :jimlad:
Can someone do the math and advise what the result would have been had Parker not lost in the pigtail and wrestles close to seed, assuming no other weight changes? I’m guessing we still don’t outscore Missouri, but I bet we finish 2nd.

Last edited:

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Can someone do the math and advise what that Parker loss in the pigtail did to the team scores and wrestles close to seed, assuming no other weight changes? I’m guessing we still don’t outscore Missouri, but I bet we finish 2nd.
Wouldn't it have been essentially a 2 point swing? Add 1 to ours and take 1 away from OU? So we still would have been 1 point behind OU if everything fell through the same way it did.

Really it came down to OU and Mizz wrestling way above their seeds.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Is it next Thursday yet? Everyone gets their fresh start. Are you gonna be the hammer or the nail?
If I am a betting man, I say we have 2 guaranteed AA (David and Marcus). Whatever Marcus found inside on Sunday is formidable and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one to try and beat him. As long as Bastida doesn't have some crazy path to AA, I say he get's there too. Ian is the wild card to me. As long as he doesn't have the sh*ts or whatever again and doesn't have a two superfunky guys in his path, he'll be fine. I expect the blood round at minimum for Parker. It's HAMMERTIME BABY!!!!

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Man, I would LOVE... please just please see ISU wrestle ABOVE their seeds for a tournament. It never seems to happen.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wouldn't it have been essentially a 2 point swing? Add 1 to ours and take 1 away from OU? So we still would have been 1 point behind OU if everything fell through the same way it did.

Really it came down to OU and Mizz wrestling way above their seeds.

Parker scored 8.5 points.

If he reached the finals, all by regular decisions, and finished 2nd, it would have been 15. (+6.5)

That also means he would have beaten Hart in the semis, so take away Hart's major in the semi and assume he wrestles back to 3rd. Hart would have scored a total of 12.5 instead of 16 (-3.5).

That's a 10-point swing, and only makes up half the 21.5-point gap to Mizzou. It likely would have been enough to leapfrog Oklahoma, since Butler would have dropped into a different spot in the consolations and faced #7 Green (WYO) and then #5 Young (OSU) instead of Rea (WVU) and Smith (UVU).

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Man, I would LOVE... please just please see ISU wrestle ABOVE their seeds for a tournament. It never seems to happen.
I'd argue this was the first Big 12 tournament in a while where a majority of our team wrestled below their seeds. In general, we have wrestled at least to and above seeds in the Big 12 tournament. Hopefully the guys have a chip on their shoulder from this tournament and come out firing next week

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

That was almost a year ago, and there's been radio silence for the last 6-7 months.

If there was a lot of progress and positive momentum, I'd think that's the sort of thing they'd be shouting from the rooftops. Just gives me a bad feeling.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Parker scored 8.5 points.

If he reached the finals, all by regular decisions, and finished 2nd, it would have been 15. (+6.5)

That also means he would have beaten Hart in the semis, so take away Hart's major in the semi and assume he wrestles back to 3rd. Hart would have scored a total of 12.5 instead of 16 (-3.5).

That's a 10-point swing, and only makes up half the 21.5-point gap to Mizzou. It likely would have been enough to leapfrog Oklahoma, since Butler would have dropped into a different spot in the consolations and faced #7 Green (WYO) and then #5 Young (OSU) instead of Rea (WVU) and Smith (UVU).
You're right I was looking solely at the first pigtail match being the only difference with the rest of the outcomes the same.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Can someone do the math and advise what the result would have been had Parker not lost in the pigtail and wrestles close to seed, assuming no other weight changes? I’m guessing we still don’t outscore Missouri, but I bet we finish 2nd.
What place you want us to figure?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
What place you want us to figure?
@theshadow presented what I was looking for (post 1,091).

The only thing I’m doing is showing how devastating that loss was to our title chances. I see the same people continue to belittle others who reacted strongly to it when it happened in real time.

I think Missouri performed well enough and probably better than expected, that the Parker match probably doesn’t change the eventual team champ, but it could very well have cost us 2nd and the gap to Missouri closed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron