***Big 12 Championship (Sat.-Sun.; Tulsa)***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't know where pancake was before this but I like it. Dude is like this right now:

whirlwind-technique-fight.gif

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
I don't know where pancake was before this but I like it. Dude is like this right now:

whirlwind-technique-fight.gif
LOL! Got some time on my hands and feeling a bit salty with everything right now. Just getting a chip on my shoulder for Natty's.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
really wish they'd get rid of the riding time point.
Personally I would prefer a change to more freestyle rules. You want to attract more viewers, freestyle is better. People understand takedowns and pins. That is what they want to see. Casual fans get bored with 3 minutes of riding time.

I would not want the full freestyle rules though. A takedown with a leg lace 4 gator roll for a 30 second match isn’t as good. Allow one roll and then you have to break the hold and do something different to get another.

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
really wish they'd get rid of the riding time point.
Not sure what the answer is, but several things have evolved and become apparent over the past 4-5 years:

1. Dropping down to a leg when the bottom wrestler stands up and running him out of bounds will rarely get called as stalling unless one of the sacred few programs are on bottom. Example: Okie State, PSU, Iowa. It's boring as crap and not really a testimonial to who is the better wrestler.
2. Looking busy on top has become an absolute art. And bottom guys are getting dinged even when the top guys rides parallel.
3. Out of bounds push out stalls have really gotten weird and subjective. The 149-pound match is a good example of where the subjectivity of those calls cost us the chance to really see some fun wrestling. McDougal deserved to keep wrestling and see who could get the takedown in that match. Gfeller adopted an Hawkeye style u-hook and shove you out to get a cheap point style. There were some good scrambles and action in that first period that I wanted to see more of, to see who could convert and work thru those tuff positions. But, instead, we let an Out of Bounds Stall dictate the rest of the match. Bummer for fans of real and "tough" wrestling...i.e., who is better in the center of the circle when you can't back up and run.

As several have posted, a hybrid where we were allowed to ride/turn for a bit longer than 10 seconds might be a nice compromise. For the size of these athletes, it is too easy for the top guy to walk the bottom guy to within 2-3 feet of out of bounds and attempt a mat return and just milk the clock/mat.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not sure what the answer is, but several things have evolved and become apparent over the past 4-5 years:

1. Dropping down to a leg when the bottom wrestler stands up and running him out of bounds will rarely get called as stalling unless one of the sacred few programs are on bottom. Example: Okie State, PSU, Iowa. It's boring as crap and not really a testimonial to who is the better wrestler.
2. Looking busy on top has become an absolute art. And bottom guys are getting dinged even when the top guys rides parallel.
3. Out of bounds push out stalls have really gotten weird and subjective. The 149-pound match is a good example of where the subjectivity of those calls cost us the chance to really see some fun wrestling. McDougal deserved to keep wrestling and see who could get the takedown in that match. Gfeller adopted an Hawkeye style u-hook and shove you out to get a cheap point style. There were some good scrambles and action in that first period that I wanted to see more of, to see who could convert and work thru those tuff positions. But, instead, we let an Out of Bounds Stall dictate the rest of the match. Bummer for fans of real and "tough" wrestling...i.e., who is better in the center of the circle when you can't back up and run.

As several have posted, a hybrid where we were allowed to ride/turn for a bit longer than 10 seconds might be a nice compromise. For the size of these athletes, it is too easy for the top guy to walk the bottom guy to within 2-3 feet of out of bounds and attempt a mat return and just milk the clock/mat.
I forget what match it was in and if big 10 or 12 but a saw one wrestler get a single and arm pitted the leg. The defensive wrestler was hopping the best he could and was just trying to stay up and get ready to counter the takedown. The offensive wrestler just walked him all over and when he got frustrated he shoved thin out of bounds. The defensive wrestler got called for stalling since he went out of bounds. He couldn’t do anything on one leg.

The Gfellar match hopefully gets the rule changed. We aren’t sumo wrestling.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Cam Amine is an example of this. Didn’t do anything against Kharchla or Marinelli. Kept the score close, moved his feet, avoided scrambles. It allowed him to keep it close enough to pull off an upset in the semis and have a shot in the finals. Good coaching but boring wrestling
I don’t think there were ANY shots taken in the B10 165 final match until Amine made a desperation lunge with about 15 seconds left. Thrilling!!!

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Yeah glad he could recover for 5th against an unseeded wrestler with a losing
Yeah glad he could recover for 5th against an unseeded wrestler with a losing record.
Point is he came back from being down 6-0 after getting broomsticked. This is D1 college wrestling, guys just don’t suck so bad that you should major everyone, and sometimes a 6’2” 141 pounder might have some weird specialities/tricks. Would you have preferred he didn’t come back and win?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Watching the finals i thought the Okie Lite Sumo technique should be easy to counter when you know what they're going to do. Is that not the case?

Help Support Us

Become a patron