What’s In the Bag? ***GOLF EQUIPMENT THREAD***

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The Srixons are nice. The ZX5’s would be good for long irons but I wouldn’t like a full set of them. I would have love try the ZX7 but im left handed and they didn’t have them to demo for me.
Yeah…I went with a split set. 4-6 are the ZX5’s (standard grips). 7-PW are the ZX7’s (midsize grips).

I was on the fence with the 6iron.

BTW…saw you carry a 2 iron. That’s awesome. I threw my 3 iron out years ago, much less a 2 iron. I have a buddy who has a 2 iron and an 80 degree wedge in his bag. No joke. It’s honestly hilarious, but can effectively use both, so impressive as well.

Last edited:

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
My 25-year old hand-me-down clubs are about ready to bite the dust. Have people had good experience with Wagner Golf in Ames for doing club fittings?

To stay on topic:
Driver - Wilson Killer Whale 9deg
Wood - Taylor Made Tour Spoon 13deg
Irons - Titleist DCI (missing the 6, 8, and pitching wedge)
Putter - Ram Zebra

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TexCyted

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Yeah…I went with a split set. 4-6 are the ZX5’s (standard grips). 7-PW are the ZX7’s (midsize grips).

I was on the fence with the 6iron.

BTW…saw you carry a 2 iron. That’s awesome. I threw my 3 iron out years ago, much less a 2 iron. I have a buddy who has a 2 iron and an 80 degree wedge in his bag. No joke. It’s honestly hilarious, but can effectively use both, so impressive as well.

I’ve never heard of an 80 degree club but that sounds awesome!

Yeah I do like the 2 iron. It’s an 18 degree and it’s something I can hit 230 or so. It’s one of the more accurate clubs in my bag. I’d rather have a driving iron for the 18 degree just for the forgiveness. But I’m not ready to spend $250 to get one haha.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
My 25-year old hand-me-down clubs are about ready to bite the dust. Have people had good experience with Wagner Golf in Ames for doing club fittings?

To stay on topic:
Putter - Ram Zebra
Actually not bad. Driver could definitely use an upgrade but DCI’s are great clubs. Technology has come a long way, but depending on how often you play, those hold up pretty well. Obviously have some gaps to fill. Love the Spoon in your bag!

As for putters…in my opinion, if you like your putter, keep it. That is one piece of equipment I wouldn’t splurge on. Tech doesn’t advance with putters like everything else and the putting surface is the most important real estate on the course. When it comes to putters, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Reactions: isu_oak

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
After 8 years with my Bridgestone J40s, I finally replaced my irons with a set of TaylorMade P790s. They feel great and I feel like I can swing them as hard as I want but I'm struggling with the strong lofts on today's clubs. The PW is 2 degrees stronger than my old set, 9 iron is 3 degrees stronger, 8 iron is 4 degrees. My wedges are 51/55/59, my new PW is 45. I'm going to have to carry two gap wedges and I'm dumping one of my hybrids. (I'm actually probably dumping both but I need more time on the course to decide that)

It's long past time to stop stamping 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/P on the bottom of clubs and start stamping lofts on there. A little truth in advertising.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

To stay on topic:
Putter - Ram Zebra
Wagner is where I just got my fitting done yesterday. I think it went alright, but either I had the best hitting day of my life, or their simulator doesn't account for sidespin/slice very well... Kinda scared me. Real nice, helpful guys though, they know what they're doing and talking about.

I actually wanna call them again today. They fit me into LTDx Low Spins for my long clubs, but I'm concerned those are gonna be too difficult/not forgiving enough for me to reliably hit on the course.

Reactions: isu_oak

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Wagner is where I just got my fitting done yesterday. I think it went alright, but either I had the best hitting day of my life, or their simulator doesn't account for sidespin/slice very well... Kinda scared me. Real nice, helpful guys though, they know what they're doing and talking about.

I actually wanna call them again today. They fit me into LTDx Low Spins for my long clubs, but I'm concerned those are gonna be too difficult/not forgiving enough for me to reliably hit on the course.
I would have that same concern although I've never tried them. You may be a high spin player and need something to get the spin down. I couldn't speak to their forgiveness relative to their non LS models.

Reactions: MeowingCows

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I have not played nearly as much in the last year and a half. A wrist injury and some seriously busy kids have reduced my rounds from 60+ per year to only 4 so far this year. It really shows in my ball striking. Last month I got a steal on some like new Cobra Radspeed 4-GW that I found online in my specs. Big top-line change for me, but they are incredibly forgiving and launch pretty high. Would highly recommend to someone looking for GI's. When you don't flush em nearly as often as you used to that new tech sure keeps the confidence up.

04clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2006
Actually not bad. Driver could definitely use an upgrade but DCI’s are great clubs. Technology has come a long way, but depending on how often you play, those hold up pretty well. Obviously have some gaps to fill. Love the Spoon in your bag!

As for putters…in my opinion, if you like your putter, keep it. That is one piece of equipment I wouldn’t splurge on. Tech doesn’t advance with putters like everything else and the putting surface is the most important real estate on the course. When it comes to putters, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
I actually think technology in putters is pretty underrated. Go try an Odyssey Stroke Lab. The shaft is counter-weighted to make your tempo more consistent. I’ve saved more strokes with that one club improvement than any other single club I’ve ever replaced. We’ll worth the money IMO (as is doing a putter fitting).

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I would have that same concern although I've never tried them. You may be a high spin player and need something to get the spin down. I couldn't speak to their forgiveness relative to their non LS models.
I talked with the fitter again and he did emphasize he thought my swing would benefit from reduced spin and flight, so that's why he paired up the LS and shafts that he did. Cobra's website lists them as "less forgiving", but that's not an objective measurement/would vary by player. Fitter thought something like the Max would be overcompensating based on how I got yesterday.
I actually think technology in putters is pretty underrated. Go try an Odyssey Stroke Lab. The shaft is counter-weighted to make your tempo more consistent. I’ve saved more strokes with that one club improvement than any other single club I’ve ever replaced. We’ll worth the money IMO (as is doing a putter fitting).
I've been curious about some of the Stroke Lab models...

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I’m sure there are benefits.

After years of tinkering, Tiger went back to a putter he used in 1999. I think Zach Johnson (I know, I know) used the same putter for at least 15 years before switching to a PXG recently.

Just some examples.

steveocy

Jun 19, 2006
I ordered my Mizunos two months ago, no ship date in site. I see people on golf forums with order dates after me that have gotten their new clubs in under six weeks. My order is a standard shaft that Mizuno offers and just bent upright a couple of degrees. I know Mizuno has had all kinds of issues with component suppliers and the Atlanta hack, but I have bad buyers remorse at this point. (Hopefully five minutes after posting this I will get an email with a ship date)

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I ordered my Mizunos two months ago, no ship date in site. I see people on golf forums with order dates after me that have gotten their new clubs in under six weeks. My order is a standard shaft that Mizuno offers and just bent upright a couple of degrees. I know Mizuno has had all kinds of issues with component suppliers and the Atlanta hack, but I have bad buyers remorse at this point. (Hopefully five minutes after posting this I will get an email with a ship date)
Man. That sucks!

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

That's too bad, But I wouldn't have buyers remorse. the Mizuno's will be worth it. Best irons out there.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Anyone have experience with one length irons?
I bought a set on ebay awhile back. Cobra Forged Tec One Length Black with $Taper 120s. Irons were like $1200 new and I bid them up to $350 and somehow won the bid. They were standard lie and loft for the set.

I experimented with them on the range and played about three rounds with them. I just could not get used to them. I struggled launching the long irons and hitting the short irons way too high. I also struggled with contact mostly because I could never figure out ball position. I love the theory behind it, never having to alter the swing. I just think ultimately there are way more cons.

My daughter picked up the game late last year as a 14 year old. I bought her some lessons for Christmas and the pro recommended one lengths for her getting started. So far it has worked for her and takes a lot of the overthinking out the set up...for her. She has went from shooting in the 130s to breaking 100 in 2/3 varsity golf meets to date.

Old habits are hard to break, I would say they benefit the less experienced more than someone with years of bad habits. A fitting and a lesson or two with a pro that has experience teaching that swing would be very helpful.

Reactions: drmwevr08

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Anyone have experience with one length irons?
A friend of mine sells them (knockoffs). The wedges are the only thing I find strange about them. Everything else is easy and even if you're not able to consistently hit a standard 4i, you'll likely be able to with a single length version of it. Being able to hit a 4i 200+ with a 7 iron swing does inspire confidence.

I've played them on the course a little, I've hit them on a launch monitor quite a bit. The distances line up well with traditional irons and like standard clubs, fitting matters (though it is simpler). My handicap has been slowing trickling in a positive direction the past few years so I haven't made the switch, but once my distance starts to go (which may not be long, getting old) or my game goes to crap I'll probably give them an honest try.

Reactions: drmwevr08

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Made some big upgrades last year.
Driver - Ping G425 Max
2 Hybrid - Ping G425
3 Hybrid - Ping G425 Crossover
Irons - 4-GW Ping G425
Wedges - 56 and 60 Titelist SM9
Putter - Odyssey Blake Series i9

Putter is the only thing that didn't change, have had it for 10 years and won't upgrade it anytime soon. Upgraded from 15 year old Wilson Di7 irons, 8 or 9 year old Cleveland wedges, a Ping i20 driver and TaylorMade R11 3 wood and 3 hybrid

Reactions: TexCyted

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Anyone a putter genius? Time for me to upgrade my old Nike blade. Don't think blade is right for me to begin with, my stroke is pretty straight back/forward. And also I suck at golf anyway, so I figure I should get something much more forgiving and/or higher MOI. What I'm looking at right now is the Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball OG, #7 WH OG, and the 2-Ball Ten. I've only gotten hands-on with the #7 before at Scheels a few days ago for a bit.

My putting now under 6' or so is pretty atrocious and I think going to mallet will help substantially here, even if my long distance putting suffers a bit for it. Anyone have experience with these putters and can tell me more? I assume the 2-Ball feels pretty similar (soft, 'dull' launch) as the #7 since it's the same face, but the 2B Ten is a newer face tech. What I read about it is it's more firm and top-spin-y, but has less feel than the WH's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron