Trenchtown
Made some big upgrades last year.
Driver - Ping G425 Max
2 Hybrid - Ping G425
3 Hybrid - Ping G425 Crossover
Irons - 4-GW Ping G425
Wedges - 56 and 60 Titelist SM9
Putter - Odyssey Blake Series i9

Putter is the only thing that didn't change, have had it for 10 years and won't upgrade it anytime soon. Upgraded from 15 year old Wilson Di7 irons, 8 or 9 year old Cleveland wedges, a Ping i20 driver and TaylorMade R11 3 wood and 3 hybrid

What do you think of carrying hyrbids vs a 3 and 5 wood. Just upgraded my Irons and next is either some hybrids or fairway woods. Cannot decide.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
What do you think of carrying hyrbids vs a 3 and 5 wood. Just upgraded my Irons and next is either some hybrids or fairway woods. Cannot decide.
I would always recommend whatever you are more comfortable with since you’ll likely only hit them a few times per round.

Maybe not at all on shorter courses.

Reactions: CYTUTT

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I prefer hybrids because I find them easier to strike, but some people are certainly the opposite.

My son just got new Titleist T200 irons, they’re damn nice.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008

I prefer hybrids because I can't hit fairway woods off the deck so I don't even consider anything beyond a 3 wood. I really only used my 3 wood if I couldn't hit my driver worth s*** during a given round so it made the decision easy at the time. Since my previous comment I bought the G425 3 wood and have an illegal bag with 1 extra club. If I had to go to a legal bag it would be a toss up between the 3 wood and 2 hybrid to drop.

The 2 hybrid is easy to hit off the tee, but still some struggles off the deck like I've always had with 3 woods. The crossover 3 is also easy to hit off the tee and easier to hit off the deck than a hybrid or wood for me.

So personally I'd go 3 crossover > 3 hybrid > 5 wood, but everyone will be different.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Driver: Cobra Speedzone
4-PW - King forged tec
Wedges - Cobra mim
U-iron - Cleveland launcher
Putter - 1990s Taylormade TAP regripped and will never go away from it.
Srixon Zstar golf balls
I’m a 7 handicap and frustrated with the fact that I’m probably as good as I’m ever going to get. No kids yet and playing 1-2 times a week with a range session sprinkled in here and there. I’ve accepted the fact this is my peak.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I carry a 3 wood, 5 wood and a 3 hybrid. The 5 wood and 3 hybrid have almost identical loft and replace a 3 iron, but the wood is a much better option off the tee or in the fairway than the hybrid. I keep the hybrid so I've got that loft in a club that I can use in the rough. Christ knows I spend enough time in there, so I better have a good club to get out.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I only get to play maybe 5-6 times a year anymore, so I'm still playing the same clubs I've had for nearly 10 years now.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W, 5W, 3H: Nike VRS Covert (first gen)
4-AW: Nike SQ MachSpeed
SW: hand-me-down Vokey (gotta be at least 15 years old)
Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 3 and an old Odyssey White Hot 2-ball (I don't carry both, but I've had a hard time giving up the 2-ball, even though I really like the Scotty)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My 3 hybrid has been my most reliable club in the bag. Typically don't even need to pull my driver out if I don't want to. Until this year, when I can't stop drawing it something fierce. **** golf lol

Reactions: ClonesInDallas

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Anybody tried the single length clubs?
I haven't, although I bought the rad speed last fall. Performance is crazy long. A buddy just got the single length and he hit them amazing the first round he had them. I haven't played with him since. He's an 18 or so handicap. Swings really hard.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Upgraded from old Nike irons to new Mizuno Hot Metals (5-SW). Haven't had a chance to play a round yet, but I've noticed right away in range sessions that these new ones give me a ton more feedback. They make it very obvious when I have a good, centered strike versus a poor one. Can feel it in the contact and some excessively bad strikes will ring up to the hands. Previous clubs felt about the same on most strikes, centered or not.

New clubs definitely wear me out faster too, need to adjust to that. Went from lighter, regular shaft (and I think a slightly lower swing weight in the club heads) irons to heavier, stiff shafts.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Nice! I’m a Mizuno irons guy but I have heard nothing but good things about those irons.
I wish I had demo'ed Srixons when I did the fitting that put me into Mizuno. Might not have changed my mind, but I still would've been curious.

Admittedly I didn't demo much for irons since I started with Mizuno first. Caught my eye real quick.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I bought five old school Adams tight lies on e bay for 100 bucks. Hope it can me help go from triple bogey to double bogey golf. Also might start playing off the red tees since I only drive about 175 these days.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I think my next club I want to get is a driving iron. I currently play a Ben Hogan apex forged 18 degree 2 iron. But I did test a driving iron and golf galaxy and the face is definitely hotter than the 2 iron. I'm left handed so I can't really test different models. But I do like the Cobra King one is adjustable. Anyone have that club or tested out driving irons? I have one friend who has the SIM UDI and likes it alot.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Honestly my next set of irons might be from Sub70, $540 for a full set is right in my sweet spot as a person that doesn't like spending money on myself. I bought a 2 iron from them, real nice quality, lots of customization options and a family owned company.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
I go 3 wood (15°), 3 iron hybrid (18°). That's the combination I've had the most success with for cutting down on a large gap between those clubs while also getting more forgiveness with the hybrid.

• Agree
Reactions: Lexclone