What’s In the Bag? ***GOLF EQUIPMENT THREAD***

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Anyone tried G Fore shoes? I had to retire my Nikes and ended up with some G/Fore MG4+ that were 65 bucks off at golf galaxy. The dude working there kinda talked me into them. It was between those and the footjoy hyperflex. I have never heard of them but their cheapest shoe regular price looks to be like 225.

I had my Nikes for 10+ years and the sole finally separated. I hope these last awhile.
They are the most comfortable golf shoes I’ve owned and I’ve worn every brand possible. The pair I have now has lasted me two plus years.

Reactions: AgronAlum

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I’m WAY overdue for all new clubs. I’m a bogey golfer for the most part, used to be much better than that, but don’t get out enough anymore.

I know I need to go get fitted, but can I even get a decent set of clubs (irons and woods) for under $1,000 anymore? I was thinking the Tour Edge irons look like a decent option maybe? Or the Callaway Mavrik irons? Thoughts??? I still only get out probably 10 times a year or so.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I’m WAY overdue for all new clubs. I’m a bogey golfer for the most part, used to be much better than that, but don’t get out enough anymore.

I know I need to go get fitted, but can I even get a decent set of clubs (irons and woods) for under $1,000 anymore? I was thinking the Tour Edge irons look like a decent option maybe? Or the Callaway Mavrik irons? Thoughts??? I still only get out probably 10 times a year or so.
I like my Sim2’s. They feel more expensive than they are. Took me some time to adjust because they go about 10-15 yards further than my old clubs (stronger loft and just fly when you hit em)

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I still have my grandfathers hickory shaft clubs from the 1940s. Use them from time to time, especially one that resembles the puttter.
They are the most comfortable golf shoes I’ve owned and I’ve worn every brand possible. The pair I have now has lasted me two plus years.
Yes I love mine, expensive but awesome feel

Reactions: ZJohnson and Kinch

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Just bought new grips and a re-grip set today, long overdue. I've never done it myself but it seems simple enough. Any tips to get it done without any hiccups?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just bought new grips and a re-grip set today, long overdue. I've never done it myself but it seems simple enough. Any tips to get it done without any hiccups?
There are some good Youtube videos on it. I looked into that for my aforementioned 3 wood, but decided to take it to Kinley's because I wasn't sure whether to regrip or replace (half the paint was chipped off of it too).

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I like my Sim2’s. They feel more expensive than they are. Took me some time to adjust because they go about 10-15 yards further than my old clubs (stronger loft and just fly when you hit em)

I'd love some Sim2's, but those are about $700 at least. Doesn't leave much left for driver and 3 wood, and stay under $1,000.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Any recommendations on where you can get fitted in the DSM area? Looking to upgrade clubs (been working with the same set for ~25 years) and get more rounds in / season. Don’t know if it matters, but I am LH and that has posed a problem in the past (both in fitting and club availability). TIA

thuner

Nov 28, 2010

Cleveland Launcher XL. Best irons I’ve ever played

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
My bag:

Driver- Ping G430 Max
3 wood- Ping G425 max
Utility iron - Ping icrossover
4-PW - Ping i230
Gap/SW/LW - Callaway Jaws Raw
Putter- L.A.B. Mezz 1

Obviously I’m a big fan of Ping. They have consistently had very forgiving drivers and I have played them for a while. I got fitted for irons last year and wasn’t even considering the i230s. The fitter suggested them after I tried a few other brands. I was hooked after basically one swing. Great irons for me. Been thinking about swapping the utility for a hybrid but I haven’t found the right one. For whatever reason I haven’t found a hybrid that sets up well to my eyes and I have always felt way more comfortable with a super teched-out 2/3 iron instead of a hybrid.

As for the putter- it’s the most money I’ve ever spent on a putter by a long ways and it was worth every dime. My putts are almost always on line and I can get the ball rolling end over end without even trying. It kind of feels like a cheat code. It takes a minute to get used to it, but once you do it will be hard to go back to anything else.

• Love
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
First I've seen this thread pop up. Since I just got new clubs a week ago for the first time in 22 years I figured I would contribute. Went and got fitted for the first time ever.

PXG Gen5 Driver
PXG Gen6 5 wood
4-P Titleist T350s
50, 56, 60 degrees PXG Sugar Daddy II
Putter - same one for 22 years STX center straight shaft.

I love my putter, can't get myself to try something new.

Played them for the first time today, unfortunately the weather wasn't great here in Phoenix, but fun none the less. Hit the irons and wedges great, kept topping the woods. Time to hit the range.
I got the exact same irons over the winter but have yet to get out and hit them yet cause I'm pretty awful on a simulator. I'm not great as is but it seems to get amplified on the simulator. Thoughts so far?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

I have the Mavrik irons (and driver). I would recommend them.

They were recommended to me by a former Ping employee, so if he’s willing to push a competitor’s product, they must be good!

Reactions: clonedude

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
My bag:

Callaway Mavrik driver and irons. I strongly recommended the driver as it helped straighten out my natural slice. Irons are good too.

Crappy, old Callaway 3 wood and 5 wood. I don’t hit those very often.

Cleveland Zipcore wedges and a Ping Vault putter. The putter needs balancing, but it’s tough for me to say because my short game is so inconsistent

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

If you want to buy Callaways, get in contact with this guy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Any recommendations on where you can get fitted in the DSM area? Looking to upgrade clubs (been working with the same set for ~25 years) and get more rounds in / season. Don’t know if it matters, but I am LH and that has posed a problem in the past (both in fitting and club availability). TIA

Get fitted at Club Champion, don’t buy anything just get their fitting summary sheet they give you. Then go online and buy them straight from the manufacturer or take that sheet to a golf galaxy or something and buy them there.

It’s a really cool place to get fitted, they just really overcharge on clubs.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonespiker33

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Anyone mess around with a 5 and 7 wood? I have a gap between my 5 iron and 3 hybrid I need to fill this year and I was thinking of getting those instead of the higher irons.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Back in my day... iron sets were all 3-PW. Now they are 5-PW or 6-PW. What a rip off.

Although... I'd probably hit a 3 hybrid and 4 hybrid much better than a 3 and 4 iron. You don't see any pros doing that though.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron