New Arrowhead?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Years ago some buds came down for the Vikes chiefs pre season game. I needed a jersey to wear to the game. I wore an ISU jersey to the game. I had 8 guys that wanted to mix it up with me over the jersey. It wasn’t a Broncos or a Raiders jersey. It was an ISU jersey.
I've worn ISU hats to plenty of games and never had a problem. The mirror might tell you the problem.

Reactions: Macloney

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I don’t get why you’d replace either of those venues. It’s stupid. If you have a dumpy stadium like in Oakland (A’s, formerly Raiders) or Tampa (baseball), fine. But Kauffman and Arrowhead are both just fine and have many more usable years. Leaving Arrowhead would be like ISU building a new arena to replace Hilton. You just…don’t do that.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Alternately, they're floating this out there to maximize how much money they can pull from Kansas City and the state of Missouri to keep them there.
More and more the teams and owners are putting up more of the dough. At least that was the case with Sofi and the Rams, same with NY giants and jets stadium. Minneapolis paid for about 10% of new Vikings setup.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The residents of Johnson County claim that it is verified that 80% of the tickets sold at Truman are sold in Johnson County. Keep in mind that a good share are corporate. I am just repeating what college buddies of mine claim.
A factor in that 80% is that Johnson Co. get to purchase tickets before they go on sell to the rest of the general public. Its season tickets, then Johnson Co. and then everyone else. Would be a nice perk if you lived in the county and only wanted to attend a few games a year or purchase and sell them to make some easy money.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
More and more the teams and owners are putting up more of the dough. At least that was the case with Sofi and the Rams, same with NY giants and jets stadium. Minneapolis paid for about 10% of new Vikings setup.

Buffalo ready to go against that trend.....

• Agree
Reactions: KidSilverhair

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I don’t get why you’d replace either of those venues. It’s stupid. If you have a dumpy stadium like in Oakland (A’s, formerly Raiders) or Tampa (baseball), fine. But Kauffman and Arrowhead are both just fine and have many more usable years. Leaving Arrowhead would be like ISU building a new arena to replace Hilton. You just…don’t do that.
Do you realize what a new ballpark could do for the Royals financially? You do realize nobody goes to the K unless the Royals are decent right? They belong downtown. I don't get the nostalgia for that place at all.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A factor in that 80% is that Johnson Co. get to purchase tickets before they go on sell to the rest of the general public. Its season tickets, then Johnson Co. and then everyone else. Would be a nice perk if you lived in the county and only wanted to attend a few games a year or purchase and sell them to make some easy money.
This is incorrect. Jackson County MO gets priority for tickets because they pay all the taxes for the stadiums. JOCO KS doesn't get anything because they don't contribute any funding to the stadium.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The residents of Johnson County claim that it is verified that 80% of the tickets sold at Truman are sold in Johnson County. Keep in mind that a good share are corporate. I am just repeating what college buddies of mine claim.
I doubt that. Maybe, maybe, a majority but 80% seems way too high.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I agree they have many more years left, but not forever. And if you are going to make a move, it could take decades in planning and construction.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Do you realize what a new ballpark could do for the Royals financially? You do realize nobody goes to the K unless the Royals are decent right? They belong downtown. I don't get the nostalgia for that place at all.

The K is one of the best parks in baseball. That’s the appeal. I’m a Royals fan and been going to Kauffman since I was born so I’m biased but it’s a perfect ballpark. There’s a reason it’s one of the oldest in the AL

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
The K is one of the best parks in baseball. That’s the appeal. I’m a Royals fan and been going to Kauffman since I was born so I’m biased but it’s a perfect ballpark. There’s a reason it’s one of the oldest in the AL
Yep, it’s a beautiful park. For those KC residents who want it “downtown,” it’s a 10 minute drive. You’re not talking about the Braves who built their new park in basically the south edge of Olathe compared to the city. Also, downtown KC isn’t some massive hub of evening activity that the Royals would be taking advantage of. Having lived in the area previously for a number of years, it’s pretty quiet most of the time. KC is a commuter city like most Midwestern cities. Downtown needs the Royals much more than the Royals need it. There aren’t many great sites for building a new stadium anyway and you’re going to find the money to build a smaller stadium in a location that has way less parking? For a fanbase where everyone needs a spot to park? As someone who wants to see that franchise be successful (Kauffman is by far the stadium I’ve seen the most MLB games in), I just think it’s short-sighted and you don’t get that much of a benefit. If there was some truly scenic location right on the riverfront where you could create a Pittsburgh-type backdrop, and it also had a ton of real estate for parking and logistics, sure but I’m not aware of that existing in KC.

• Agree
Reactions: isufanz1 and ISpyCy

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
It's hard to believe that Arrowhead is the 3rd oldest stadium in the NFL and the K is the sixth oldest stadium in the MLB.

Speaking on the Royals part, there has been talk about a downtown stadium, but with westward orientation, would not have a KC skyline view, which, to me, doesn't make the idea very attractive. Plus, the area being considered would be a nightmare for traffic compared to what they deal with now (which is pretty easy, IMO).

• Agree
Reactions: DSM4Cy

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Yep, it’s a beautiful park. For those KC residents who want it “downtown,” it’s a 10 minute drive. You’re not talking about the Braves who built their new park in basically the south edge of Olathe compared to the city. Also, downtown KC isn’t some massive hub of evening activity that the Royals would be taking advantage of. Having lived in the area previously for a number of years, it’s pretty quiet most of the time. KC is a commuter city like most Midwestern cities. Downtown needs the Royals much more than the Royals need it. There aren’t many great sites for building a new stadium anyway and you’re going to find the money to build a smaller stadium in a location that has way less parking? For a fanbase where everyone needs a spot to park? As someone who wants to see that franchise be successful (Kauffman is by far the stadium I’ve seen the most MLB games in), I just think it’s short-sighted and you don’t get that much of a benefit. If there was some truly scenic location right on the riverfront where you could create a Pittsburgh-type backdrop, and it also had a ton of real estate for parking and logistics, sure but I’m not aware of that existing in KC.

Agreed. As a JOCO resident myself I would prefer to see both stadiums where they are. Continue to renovate and upgrade. They are both great facilities. And I would rather go to the current location than a downtown location.

Reactions: DSM4Cy

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Its a 10 minute drive to the middle of nowhere. And like mentioned its a 40 minute drive for majority of the people that are actually attending the games.

Want a beer before the game? Guess better tailgate. I have nothing against tailgating, just much more fun in the fall then middle of KC summer.
Want to eat before the game? Better eat before you go.
Want a hotel to stay at? Good luck.
Want an uber or a cab... enjoy.

There are plenty of sites for downtown baseball (4 have been proposed). Downtown baseball in KC is all but a done deal.

For me downtown parking will actually be easier. When tickets are $5 to get in, I dont care to pay 20-30 just to park. Can park downtown for free pretty easily if you don't mind walking a bit. Plus with the streetcar build out its a natural fit.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Its a 10 minute drive to the middle of nowhere. And like mentioned its a 40 minute drive for majority of the people that are actually attending the games.

Want a beer before the game? Guess better tailgate. I have nothing against tailgating, just much more fun in the fall then middle of KC summer.
Want to eat before the game? Better eat before you go.
Want a hotel to stay at? Good luck.
Want an uber or a cab... enjoy.

There are plenty of sites for downtown baseball (4 have been proposed). Downtown baseball in KC is all but a done deal.

For me downtown parking will actually be easier. When tickets are $5 to get in, I dont care to pay 20-30 just to park. Can park downtown for free pretty easily if you don't mind walking a bit. Plus with the streetcar build out its a natural fit.
There are so many funny things about this post but obviously I’m not the consumer who they would be trying to cater to with a move to downtown, and based on their plans it seems like the things you are wanting are probably what a number of others feel are lacking as well. It just all seems like a giant waste of money to get rid of a stadium that’s nice and the money should be spent on other things, like maybe having an interstate system with painted lane lines and where your suspension isn’t messed up just from the daily commute, or doing something different with the 71 corridor to deal with the major headaches for commuters from the south. But that’s not really typical of KC/MO priorities as I learned from my years in the area.

The most funny is that the stadiums are in the “middle of nowhere” when you literally haven’t even gotten to Independence yet on I-70 and can see the skyline clearly, and that you can’t find a hotel. If your goal is to have a hotel right next to the stadium, fine but for me driving 10 minutes isn’t a big deal. There are also multiple hotels right across the interstate that you can literally see from inside Kauffman. I’ve never viewed a baseball game as an event where you need to have a venue for a beer before the game, as well as a separate spot for a meal, and then the game itself. With 81 home games that just seems like a lot for one 3-hour event. I honestly didn’t know anyone tailgated or pregamed before a baseball game. But again, I’m not the 21st Century consumer. I want to park close to the stadium and I’m gonna get my food and beer right there even if it isn’t the greatest and it’s overpriced. It’s part of the ambiance for me of going to the ballpark and it’s the most convenient option. If you only go to 1 game a year and it’s a huge thing on your calendar, I can get making a whole day out of it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
It's so shortsighted to say that downtown KC is quiet, so adding the Royals stadium would not take advantage of "evening activity." Guess what builds a huge amount of evening activity? A major league baseball stadium in the neighborhood. And then they feed off of each other. You get bars and restaurants for the sports fans, and then apartments and offices coming in after the bars and restaurants chasing the amenities, and then you get more bars and restaurants and services for residents and workers, and then you get more apartments and offices, etc. An amazing example of this is Nats Park near downtown DC - when that stadium was built, the neighborhood was desolate and now it is very desirable and packed full of people and businesses. Even Busch in St Louis (probably a better comparator for the Royals) has developed and grown a chunk of downtown STL in a city that is otherwise dying as it dramatically hollows out. The stadium is stemming that tide.

There will still be plenty of places to park even if you have to give up miles of pavement in the burbs in order to go see a baseball game.

• Winner
Reactions: deadeyededric

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
It's so shortsighted to say that downtown KC is quiet, so adding the Royals stadium would not take advantage of "evening activity." Guess what builds a huge amount of evening activity? A major league baseball stadium in the neighborhood. And then they feed off of each other. You get bars and restaurants for the sports fans, and then apartments and offices coming in after the bars and restaurants chasing the amenities, and then you get more bars and restaurants and services for residents and workers, and then you get more apartments and offices, etc.

There will still be plenty of places to park even if you have to give up miles of pavement in the burbs in order to go see a baseball game.
Sure, you’re right in that it can build that…IF the ownership commits to fielding a winning baseball team on a regular basis. It’s a lot of money to spend on a new stadium for the Royals to win 65 games a year for the next couple decades. You’ll get an increase in attendance at first but after the novelty wears off, will you really? Some of the people who don’t go to games now will because it’s closer to home or because they work downtown and can get there easily. But you’ll lose some of your suburban fans that don’t like dealing with the logistics of getting in and out of downtown and are comfortable with the Truman setup. Maybe that’s a winning decision in the end but I don’t think it’s a home run necessarily.