New Arrowhead?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Sure, you’re right in that it can build that…IF the ownership commits to fielding a winning baseball team on a regular basis. It’s a lot of money to spend on a new stadium for the Royals to win 65 games a year for the next couple decades. You’ll get an increase in attendance at first but after the novelty wears off, will you really? Some of the people who don’t go to games now will because it’s closer to home or because they work downtown and can get there easily. But you’ll lose some of your suburban fans that don’t like dealing with the logistics of getting in and out of downtown and are comfortable with the Truman setup. Maybe that’s a winning decision in the end but I don’t think it’s a home run necessarily.
Didn't you just dismiss travel concerns as "it's a 10 minute drive"? I'm sure there will be people in JoCo who don't want to come downtown for whatever reason (maybe they are scared of going into the real live city) but moving into the city is a smart growth play and it's a winner for both the team and KC.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Do you realize what a new ballpark could do for the Royals financially? You do realize nobody goes to the K unless the Royals are decent right? They belong downtown. I don't get the nostalgia for that place at all.
I respect your opinion but I disagree with you.

First, attendance ebbs and flows with on-field success for all teams (except maybe the Cubs) - so what? This will happen at a downtown ballpark as much as it does the K. You will see a surge in the first year or two but as the newness wears off the attendance at a downtown park will depend on the W-L record. I don't see how a downtown location helps attendance in the long term.

Second, what do you mean you don't get the nostalgia for the K? That's a naive statement. Do you "get" the nostalgia for Hilton Coliseum? It's the same for the K for Royals fans. There have been great moments in Royals history at that stadium and that's why so many want to see the K remain the home of their beloved Royals.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The K is one of the best parks in baseball. That’s the appeal. I’m a Royals fan and been going to Kauffman since I was born so I’m biased but it’s a perfect ballpark. There’s a reason it’s one of the oldest in the AL
It's also one of the least profitable parks in baseball. If you wanna finish in last place every year just so you have a quick drive that's fine. I'm sick of losing every year. And yes I'd totally support a new basketball arena for ISU just for revenue purposes.

Last edited:

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I respect your opinion but I disagree with you.

First, attendance ebbs and flows with on-field success for all teams (except maybe the Cubs) - so what? This will happen at a downtown ballpark as much as it does the K. You will see a surge in the first year or two but as the newness wears off the attendance at a downtown park will depend on the W-L record. I don't see how a downtown location helps attendance in the long term.

Second, what do you mean you don't get the nostalgia for the K? That's a naive statement. Do you "get" the nostalgia for Hilton Coliseum? It's the same for the K for Royals fans. There have been great moments in Royals history at that stadium and that's why so many want to see the K remain the home of their beloved Royals.
You'll see big profits for 2-3 years that will allow them to keep the talent in the organization so they can keep winning.

• Agree
Reactions: BillyClone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There are so many funny things about this post but obviously I’m not the consumer who they would be trying to cater to with a move to downtown, and based on their plans it seems like the things you are wanting are probably what a number of others feel are lacking as well. It just all seems like a giant waste of money to get rid of a stadium that’s nice and the money should be spent on other things, like maybe having an interstate system with painted lane lines and where your suspension isn’t messed up just from the daily commute, or doing something different with the 71 corridor to deal with the major headaches for commuters from the south. But that’s not really typical of KC/MO priorities as I learned from my years in the area.

The most funny is that the stadiums are in the “middle of nowhere” when you literally haven’t even gotten to Independence yet on I-70 and can see the skyline clearly, and that you can’t find a hotel. If your goal is to have a hotel right next to the stadium, fine but for me driving 10 minutes isn’t a big deal. There are also multiple hotels right across the interstate that you can literally see from inside Kauffman. I’ve never viewed a baseball game as an event where you need to have a venue for a beer before the game, as well as a separate spot for a meal, and then the game itself. With 81 home games that just seems like a lot for one 3-hour event. I honestly didn’t know anyone tailgated or pregamed before a baseball game. But again, I’m not the 21st Century consumer. I want to park close to the stadium and I’m gonna get my food and beer right there even if it isn’t the greatest and it’s overpriced. It’s part of the ambiance for me of going to the ballpark and it’s the most convenient option. If you only go to 1 game a year and it’s a huge thing on your calendar, I can get making a whole day out of it.
I get the middle of no where comment. There is literally nothing in the vicinity you can do prior to the game, unless you want Denny's, Subway or Taco Bell. The hotels are complete trash, minus the Woodspring that is across the interstate over left field, hard to get to, and it's a long term stay hotel. Adams Mark was the best thing that area had, and it's been closed since the pandemic and doesn't look like it's opening up anytime soon. I get you can drive to quite a bit easily, but that mindset is shrinking, and walkability/public transportation is becoming more important to people.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If they replace Arrowhead with new stadium this Chiefs fans is going to be very disappointed. It's one of the few stadiums out there that I think is just fine that way it is and is "iconic" with its history. This would be right up there with Green Bay saying they are going to replace Lambeau Field and probably Chicago with Soldier Field too. Funny thing is those are the 3ldest stadiums in the NFL right now too but to me that just says those 3 stadiums along with their fan bases have stood the test of time. I'm a Cubs fan too and I don't care how old Wrigley Field is fans go there for the experience and atmosphere not the amenities of the stadium and I feel there are some NFL fan bases like the Chiefs, Packers, and Bears that are of the same mold.

I get the reason why the Royals may build a new stadium downtown some day because whether is Kauffman or a new stadium fans aren't going to pack it unless the Royals are decent which is is not often. If that project happens the Chiefs may as well use the extra land and build something around Arrowhead to accomplish whatever revenue goals they may think a new stadium would provide.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If they replace Arrowhead with new stadium this Chiefs fans is going to be very disappointed. It's one of the few stadiums out there that I think is just fine that way it is and is "iconic" with its history. This would be right up there with Green Bay saying they are going to replace Lambeau Field and probably Chicago with Soldier Field too. Funny thing is those are the 3ldest stadiums in the NFL right now too but to me that just says those 3 stadiums along with their fan bases have stood the test of time. I'm a Cubs fan too and I don't care how old Wrigley Field is fans go there for the experience and atmosphere not the amenities of the stadium and I feel there are some NFL fan bases like the Chiefs, Packers, and Bears that are of the same mold.

I get the reason why the Royals may build a new stadium downtown some day because whether is Kauffman or a new stadium fans aren't going to pack it unless the Royals are decent which is is not often. If that project happens the Chiefs may as well use the extra land and build something around Arrowhead to accomplish whatever revenue goals they may think a new stadium would provide.
IMO, "new" Solider Field blows.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
You'll see big profits for 2-3 years that will allow them to keep the talent in the organization so they can keep winning.
You should heed the experience of MN Twins fans and taxpayers. They built the Pohlads Target field and now just pocket more money thanks to the taxpayer support. Twins brass claimed for years their budget was 52% of revenue for team payroll. They have not approached that in years....

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I am familiar with the K & Busch & Arrowhead. St. Louis hit a homerun when they built Ballpark Village on the site of the old Busch after new Busch was built. Ideally, that is what needs done with Truman. Move the Royals downtown and build a similar venue to Ballpark Village next to Arrowhead in the space left when K is torn down. I am a Cards fan and I have not been in Busch since BP Village was built. It has a huge screen TV inside with A-C and booze/food available. Beats sitting in the sun. Royals downtown could do what the Sprint Center has going with P & L across the street. These venues are what Jamie is trying to do, btw, between Trice & Hilton. The model is stadium next to a "village entertainment" concept. And it has proven successful.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
IMO, "new" Solider Field blows.
One of the worst decision they ever made. They left the columns out front to try to keep the historical status of the site and proceeded to lose the historical status of the site as the commission said they changed too much of it to keep that designation. On top of that, the design constraints of that site led to many bad choices that neither kept the feel of the old stadium, nor really improved on the problems it had. There was a reason that rumors have been floating about a new facility out near their Lake Forest facility or potentially elsewhere.

Reactions: cyfanatic

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
One of the worst decision they ever made. They left the columns out front to try to keep the historical status of the site and proceeded to lose the historical status of the site as the commission said they changed too much of it to keep that designation. On top of that, the design constraints of that site led to many bad choices that neither kept the feel of the old stadium, nor really improved on the problems it had. There was a reason that rumors have been floating about a new facility out near their Lake Forest facility or potentially elsewhere.

And it's time for this fan base to give up the BS theory of "Bear weather"

Put in a great retractable dome. Why would I sit my ass out in ******* awful weather when I can watch on TV and save a grip?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

The Bears are buying the site of the racetrack in Arlington Heights...so without signing on any dotted lines...the Bears will be out in the suburbs relatively soon.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
And it's time for this fan base to give up the BS theory of "Bear weather"

Put in a great retractable dome. Why would I sit my ass out in ******* awful weather when I can watch on TV and save a grip?

I get why Buffalo would not include a dome as there wouldn't be much use for that size of an event center there...but agree, Chicago could put a domed/retractable roof facility to use. The new Bears' facility needs to have a roof over it.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I am familiar with the K & Busch & Arrowhead. St. Louis hit a homerun when they built Ballpark Village on the site of the old Busch after new Busch was built. Ideally, that is what needs done with Truman. Move the Royals downtown and build a similar venue to Ballpark Village next to Arrowhead in the space left when K is torn down. I am a Cards fan and I have not been in Busch since BP Village was built. It has a huge screen TV inside with A-C and booze/food available. Beats sitting in the sun. Royals downtown could do what the Sprint Center has going with P & L across the street. These venues are what Jamie is trying to do, btw, between Trice & Hilton. The model is stadium next to a "village entertainment" concept. And it has proven successful.
Ballpark Village is awesome. I think they're up to 12ish restaurants/bars and the main area (Bally Sports Midwest Live!) has massive TVs and a retractable roof plus a stage area for events and pep rallies plus they've got rooftop seating for Cardinals games. It's a lot of fun.

It's become the hub of activity at The Valley tournament like P&L is at the Big 12.

The Rangers copied it to a T across from their new ballpark.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Do you realize what a new ballpark could do for the Royals financially? You do realize nobody goes to the K unless the Royals are decent right? They belong downtown. I don't get the nostalgia for that place at all.
Only time I went to a Royals game is watch my favorite visiting team. ;)

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
The Royals are a glorified triple-A team due to finances. They'll continue to be playing out at the complex.
But there's no reason for it other than the system lets teams play on the cheap as there is no salary floor outside of minimum player salary X roster size. But if all one cares about is championships, they have as many WS wins and appearances as the Yankees have over the last 20 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron