New Arrowhead?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love sports - clearly - but hope to God some day soon the tax payers and municipalities stop paying for new stadiums and whatnot. Professional sports teams are revenue generating companies and need to be self sustaining. Same with tax incentives for landing new building permits and ****.

But otherwise, it really doesn’t need debating IF the Chiefs and Royals should move, but rather should they do it now or in 20 years. The trend is clearly to build new every 20 years regardless of the waste in doing so. Personally, their current stadiums seem practical, suitable, and have decent history. If either were to move, Royals seem a bit more logical if they build the area around the new stadium up, but it still doesn’t seem like a huge money maker difference.

I would be pissed as a tax payer paying for a stadium a Billionaire can absorb, **** putting that on tax payers when the majority don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In reality with the price of pro sports tickets, all stadiums will need to be enclosed to be competitive with staying home in the not too distant future. Baseball is a great example, who wants to plan for sitting in the son for seemingly half a day when they can save money and watch on tv with cheaper drinks and food? No worrying about heat, rain, ungodly long games, etc.
Yeah, roofed stadiums are great if it is cold, unbearably hot or raining. But nothing is more miserable than having tickets to a baseball or football game and having to sit in a dank building while it is a beautiful sunny day or a gorgeous evening outside.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Waiting to see if the Bears finally take the leap and play under a roof. Heck if the Rams have a roof in LA then Chicago should have one.

I like watching games played in snow and rain on a real goddam grass field. This is how God intended football to be played.

But as a fan there's zero chance I'm sitting in **** Chicago weather for a game. Nope.
Hey it's only going to get warmer with climate change.... Or we'll get crazier winters but anyways we have become soft, our forefathers were able to cross the Delaware with Washington and sit and watch a game in the dead of Chicago winter so can we.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
In reality with the price of pro sports tickets, all stadiums will need to be enclosed to be competitive with staying home in the not too distant future. Baseball is a great example, who wants to plan for sitting in the son for seemingly half a day when they can save money and watch on tv with cheaper drinks and food? No worrying about heat, rain, ungodly long games, etc.
Why go to the zoo, when you can just watch the discovery channel?

I mean you either love live sports and the atmosphere, or you don't. Part of being a northern climate team is the excitement in watching a team from Las Vegas (oakland)/LA (san diego) come and play football in 20 degrees and snow. WATCHING a game in 20 degrees and snow is one hell of a good time.

Reactions: SDClone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Hey it's only going to get warmer with climate change.... Or we'll get crazier winters but anyways we have become soft, our forefathers were able to cross the Delaware with Washington and sit and watch a game in the dead of Chicago winter so can we.

The first Chicago settlers who lived through a winter and said, "Hey! That wasn't so bad! Let's build a city! 6 months of winter is nothing!"....

These are among the toughest sons a b*tiches who ever walked the earth

#pushChicagointothelake

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

Location might matter.

When I lived in Minneapolis, would get free tickets to Twins games through work. It was absolutely miserable to sit in the Metrodome on a beautiful summer day/evening. Conversely, it was an absolute joy to watch an afternoon game at the Twins new stadium. Especially with train service from S. Metro.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Location might matter.

When I lived in Minneapolis, would get free tickets to Twins games through work. It was absolutely miserable to sit in the Metrodome on a beautiful summer day/evening. Conversely, it was an absolute joy to watch an afternoon game at the Twins new stadium. Especially with train service from S. Metro.
Conversely conversely, snow outs to start the season and snow during a potential World Series seems less than ideal.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Chiefs need a new stadium if they want a Super Bowl.

The trend in both the NFL and Major League Baseball is to leverage sports franchises as centerpieces of larger developments.

See Titletown, LA Complex in Englewood, Braves, Wrigleyville, TX Rangers and TX Live, and even Jamie's grand plan for CyTown

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Chiefs need a new stadium if they want a Super Bowl.

The trend in both the NFL and Major League Baseball is to leverage sports franchises as centerpieces of larger developments.

See Titletown, LA Complex in Englewood, Braves, Wrigleyville, TX Rangers and TX Live, and even Jamie's grand plan for CyTown
How valuable is a Super Bowl to a market like KC though? You will get it once to showcase the new stadium, but you will never get a return trip in a market that size. This isn't LA or Dallas or Atlanta where you are going to have a shot at this every 5 years. You spend $1B on a stadium that you are going to play in for the next 30 years, I don't think a single Super Bowl really factors in to that decision.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
By the time the Royals get downtown the pendulum will have swung to the point where it’s hot to build new stadiums in the burbs again.
Meh, KC has the perfect spot in the riverfront area to build a stadium that happens to be at the end of the street car. It would be easy to argue for boosting business in the City Market, West Bottoms and North KC area that has several breweries. KC is also building a women's soccer stadium downtown so they could look to make a new business district out of the 2. That said I don't want Kaufmann or Arrowhead to move due to the great tailgating scene.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
KCs whole thing is their fan engagement in the game. Would be silly to lose that and piss off fans for a super bowl? Which you'd get once every 20 years or whatever, does not seem like a financially sound argument for a new stadium to me. Especially when the city or state is paying for it.
I don't have any emotional connection to this but always hate to see "older" stadiums bulldozed.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How valuable is a Super Bowl to a market like KC though? You will get it once to showcase the new stadium, but you will never get a return trip in a market that size. This isn't LA or Dallas or Atlanta where you are going to have a shot at this every 5 years. You spend $1B on a stadium that you are going to play in for the next 30 years, I don't think a single Super Bowl really factors in to that decision.
While there is a huge economic impact to a Super Bowl city as well as national - and to a lesser degree - international publicity there are huge costs with hosting that take a big bite out of that return. If you are building a new stadium just to get to host a Super Bowl I would caution against it. The NFL and all of their partners constantly need something and it is rare that any of it is reimbursed.

• Agree
Reactions: aeroclone

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
Waiting to see if the Bears finally take the leap and play under a roof. Heck if the Rams have a roof in LA then Chicago should have one.

I like watching games played in snow and rain on a real goddam grass field. This is how God intended football to be played.

But as a fan there's zero chance I'm sitting in **** Chicago weather for a game. Nope.
The Bears should play in retractable roof dome. I've been to many a December and January Bears games and it is miserable and no human should watch in that sort of weather.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

It's about ego. Owners want to feel important. Hosting a Super Bowl does that.

The Hunt family got the draft to come to KC before LA, ATL, and many more cities.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Bears should play in retractable roof dome. I've been to many a December and January Bears games and it is miserable and no human should watch in that sort of weather.
This could be said for several locations. Chicago, Green Bay, Buffalo all come to mind off the top of my head.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron