Iowa starting quarterback for Iowa State

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Padilla can run...He's not Vick but he's far more mobile...not that Iowa offense calls plays to run QB but still...

Padilla much shorter..prob 5'11..

I could def see Padilla playing or playing alot and bringing in Petras on 3rd or 4th and short type stuff.

Our 3 man front DL and our LB's are gonna need to be better this week...by alot.

Disappointed they let Vance come into season 260Lbs...he's slow.

Totally agree on Vance. 260 lbs is too heavy, and he looks slow because of it.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Petras will start against ISU and they will stick with him as long as ISU isn't 20 points ahead. He will play much better against ISU, just because, and will have zero turnovers, even though he throws a couple right to our guys. The Cyclones are cursed in this game, and that is what I am sticking with until proven otherwise.

KF said after the game yesterday that Petras would start this week. Of course that could change.

One of two things has to be true..... all of the other QB's on Iowa's roster are absolutely terrible OR KF favors Petras over other guys that are actually better than him for some reason?

But we all know that Petras will come back this week and play out of his flippin' mind somehow... probably because ISU DB's will play their typical 10 yd cushion and let Petras dink and dunk it down the field on us.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa’s biggest problem is their OL. Run and pass blocking was terrible yesterday and they looked out of sync from the snap. If they can’t fox that, it doesn’t matter who the qb is.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
KF said after the game yesterday that Petras would start this week. Of course that could change.

One of two things has to be true..... all of the other QB's on Iowa's roster are absolutely terrible OR KF favors Petras over other guys that are actually better than him for some reason?

But we all know that Petras will come back this week and play out of his flippin' mind somehow... probably because ISU DB's will play their typical 10 yd cushion and let Petras dink and dunk it down the field on us.
He favors Petras. What a dad of a olayer (who was on the team last year) told me. Said the team knows that he shouldnt be the starter, but he’s Kirks guy.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Padilla can run...He's not Vick but he's far more mobile...not that Iowa offense calls plays to run QB but still...

Padilla much shorter..prob 5'11..

I could def see Padilla playing or playing alot and bringing in Petras on 3rd or 4th and short type stuff.

Our 3 man front DL and our LB's are gonna need to be better this week...by alot.

Disappointed they let Vance come into season 260Lbs...he's slow.

The good news, my hawk friend informs me Iowa has long-term injury issues on the O-line and new starters in place Not saying SEMO has a better line, but perhaps ISU won't be facing a huge upgrade there.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The good news, my hawk friend informs me Iowa has long-term injury issues on the O-line and new starters in place Not saying SEMO has a better line, but perhaps ISU won't be facing a huge upgrade there.
I don't remember us blitzing at all until the backups were in, we played a basic zone and normally we play a cloud on one side and man press on the other, so we were an extremely vanilla offense. Many times Reeder was in pass coverage, what allowed the QB to run more than normal probably.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Paddilla played enough last year. There's film on him. But if he's more mobile, that could be a factor situationally if he plays.

Bottom line, Iowa's offense usually sucks, but ISU's O usually makes mistakes and helps out their offense. Ball security is a must this year. Especially with inexperienced QB on the road.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

So if we do happen to win.... Iowa already has their excuses all lined up..... injuries.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I don't remember us blitzing at all until the backups were in, we played a basic zone and normally we play a cloud on one side and man press on the other, so we were an extremely vanilla offense. Many times Reeder was in pass coverage, what allowed the QB to run more than normal probably.
I recall at some points in the first half seeing corners playing way off the receivers. PxP made note of SEMO coming out passing early, but early on ISU was giving them short routes and out routes. That's Heacock's MO to lie in wait early on.

Reactions: isutrevman

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This game as always will come down to a low scoring affair, with ISU trying to out play EIU at their game. The EIU defense will crowd the LOS and ISU will continue to run in a stack defense. ISU will have its usual EIU game of 2 or 3 turnovers and EIU will not have any.
ISU will allow the EIU punter all day to stand there before he kicks, allowing the gunners to get down the field and cover the ball inside the 10 yard line or force a fair catch by the ISU returners.

Hope I am wrong, but it will be another 3 to 7 point loss, with ISU out gaining EIU in every category, but the most important ones, turnovers and the scoreboard.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He favors Petras. What a dad of a olayer (who was on the team last year) told me. Said the team knows that he shouldnt be the starter, but he’s Kirks guy.
Kirk did this with Rudock and kept Beathard on the bench well after it was clear Beathard was better.

Then again, I’m not sure Padilla is actually better. Has he played enough to say that?

Their offense is not good at all. Their OL performance has been going downhill since Brain took that over from Morgan, despite recruiting some studs. Brain is not a good coach. I’ve not talked to a hawk fan that thinks he’s good. He should be sending Parker one hell of a Christmas gift every year for keeping this team winning.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
So if we do happen to win.... Iowa already has their excuses all lined up..... injuries.

Ha. He was explaining that as a function of their dysfunction. He said top RB and WRs had injury issues vs SDSU, but that Petras could not hit an open guy to save his life and it might not have mattered if those players were healthy.

Says Petras must be a good practice QB, because he's not good on gameday.
He also believes that 17-20 points can beat Iowa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This game as always will come down to a low scoring affair, with ISU trying to out play EIU at their game. The EIU defense will crowd the LOS and ISU will continue to run in a stack defense. ISU will have its usual EIU game of 2 or 3 turnovers and EIU will not have any.
ISU will allow the EIU punter all day to stand there before he kicks, allowing the gunners to get down the field and cover the ball inside the 10 yard line or force a fair catch by the ISU returners.

Hope I am wrong, but it will be another 3 to 7 point loss, with ISU out gaining EIU in every category, but the most important ones, turnovers and the scoreboard.

We need to have a couple of the first plays be verticals or at least skinny post routes that we tell Hunter to find out fastest guy and if he is covered to launch it way out in front of him. Show he has the arm to homerun it, it will loosen up the safteties and give us the under routes and running space. When they played against Park they ran their deep cover 2s and Park had the arm to do what he wanted. Dekkers has that arm.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't we lose to Petras last year???
Is Brock worse than Petras...of course not.
We just have to stop TURNING THE BALL OVER and letting their defense score or give their god-awful QB a short field.

If it's a low scoring game special teams could be the difference again. And, of course, not the difference in our favor.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kirk did this with Rudock and kept Beathard on the bench well after it was clear Beathard was better.

Then again, I’m not sure Padilla is actually better. Has he played enough to say that?

Their offense is not good at all. Their OL performance has been going downhill since Brain took that over from Morgan, despite recruiting some studs. Brain is not a good coach. I’ve not talked to a hawk fan that thinks he’s good. He should be sending Parker one hell of a Christmas gift every year for keeping this team winning.
Brian now coaches the QBs, this Oline is Brians work though over the last 3-4 years.

Reactions: Cyguy1984

Help Support Us

Become a patron