Totally Insane Iowa Stats

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It's really crazy a Kirk Ferentz coached team is averaging 57yds rushing per game. Petras deserves flack but the OL is awful. KF's program is built upon that position, crazy how far its fallen the last few years. That can't all be Doyle can it? The OL is what they should be talking about, no Petras.
Perhaps Proctor needs to rethink his choice?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
who is going to get them the ball? petras has trouble throwing 5-10 yard out routes. Way too many missed wide open guys. Those WR's can probably get open but that doesn't mean their offense improves any.

5-10 yard outs = 5-10 yards over the target’s head. It’s just crazy. I think about golf and it’s like, I just pushed that last 6 iron, reason tells me I need to adjust SOMETHING on this 6 iron.

He doesn’t seem to adjust, or if he is, nothing is changing, ergo: Petras has the yips. Yips = mentally spent with no hope except rest/refocus. If they don’t bench him this is just going to keep happening.

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It's really crazy a Kirk Ferentz coached team is averaging 57yds rushing per game. Petras deserves flack but the OL is awful. KF's program is built upon that position, crazy how far its fallen the last few years. That can't all be Doyle can it? The OL is what they should be talking about, no Petras.
The OL classes that should be upperclassmen have been decimated and we are left with an OL that are probably a year too early for PT. Plus it seemed like the entire offseason and fall camp that no one has been healthy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is Nico Regaini hurt, or did he graduate/transfer? Have to think their passing game will improve with K. Johnson back (hard to regress much more).

The way Petras routinely throws 4-5 feet over the heads of receivers they could probably have in-his-prime NFL Randy Moss trying to jump up for catches and it wouldn't matter.

• Funny
Reactions: Billups06

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Iowa has another problem. The tight end is not as good as they normally have. He drops the ball. His blocking is not good. Iowa has had some fantastic tight ends the bail out their quarterback. Right now they don’t have that.
How could anyone tell? You could have Travis Kelce and Antonio Gates for tight ends, and it wouldn't matter much if the throws were 3' over their heads.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
UC Davis' quarterback threw for 273 yards and 3 touchdowns against South Dakota State on Saturday

They could've gone out and grabbed literally hundreds of JUCO and FCS QBs who would've upgraded their team instantly. So bizarre to not even try.

Easy sell..."hey you want to play on national TV for a program that has produced a few dozen NFL offensive lineman?" Sure they don't have the best offensive scheme but when they've had decent talent at QB they have had drastically better results than Petras. Stanzi, Beatherd, Tate...those guys put up #s. It's not like every QB they bring in automatically only throws one TD in nine games.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How could anyone tell? You could have Travis Kelce and Antonio Gates for tight ends, and it wouldn't matter much if the throws were 3' over their heads.

Yeah, that's what I just posted.

Petras throws 5-20 balls a game that Randy Moss couldn't catch in his prime.

They'd be better off just direct snapping to a running back, the 5-6 times a game they pass would be just as accurate and come as a complete surprise and have a chance to be long scoring plays.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Worst offense I've ever seen in football. There is no word to describe this offense. Iowa probably won't make a bowl game because of how bad their offense is.
Honestly, it wasn't a whole lot better last year and you won a lot of games. Division hasn't exactly looked sharp so far either. This isn't even a "lol hoks" take, I'm serious. There's a lot of winnable games on your schedule despite your offense.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, that's what I just posted.

Petras throws 5-20 balls a game that Randy Moss couldn't catch in his prime.

They'd be better off just direct snapping to a running back, the 5-6 times a game they pass would be just as accurate and come as a complete surprise and have a chance to be long scoring plays.
They need to run routes where they have a second receiver about 10 yards behind who they tell him is the intended target

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Agreed! KF wants a NFL caliber line… NEEDS a NFL caliber line. Mediocre QB play has been around a long time at Iowa… you hit now and then with a good to great QB, and hit bad now and then too.

This is the offense Kirk wants. He just has a subpar QB… and where do you go with that? Put the backup in…. And they are the same or worse….. its a HC issue. We have heard them scream and write petitions for firing Davis, KOK, now Brian.

• Winner
Reactions: heitclone

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Honestly, it wasn't a whole lot better last year and you won a lot of games. Division hasn't exactly looked sharp so far either. This isn't even a "lol hoks" take, I'm serious. There's a lot of winnable games on your schedule despite your offense.
They will probably be in almost every game except Michigan and OSU. They could go anywhere between 4-8 and 8-4 at this point. I'm guessing they will go 6-6 or so. The offense last year was really bad after the Maryland game.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They need to run routes where they have a second receiver about 10 yards behind who they tell him is the intended target

Or coach that receivers need the ball delivered at their shoes. He's been that way since his first start. His first year especially he had so many WRs wide open who had beat their man downfield and he'd sail it 10 yards past them.

I really don't think WR/TE is their problem, it doesn't matter if he can't throw a decent ball.

Reactions: BCClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The OL classes that should be upperclassmen have been decimated and we are left with an OL that are probably a year too early for PT. Plus it seemed like the entire offseason and fall camp that no one has been healthy.
Decimated by injuries, transfers? I don’t remember any discussion of OL on the injury discussions leading up to the game.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They will probably be in almost every game except Michigan and OSU. They could go anywhere between 4-8 and 8-4 at this point. I'm guessing they will go 6-6 or so. The offense last year was really bad after the Maryland game.
I just looked at your schedule, I see 7 more wins on your schedule. I think Mich and OSU are probably losses. Then I think you split Purdue/Minnesota. The rest I see as wins. Nevada is awful, Illinois/NW/Nebraska are poor teams. Rutgers is rutgers and Wisconsin has the same offense as Iowa now.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy