Totally Insane Iowa Stats

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
At Iowa you have to run the ball and set it up so the QB basically just has to play catch. It's been their deal forever. Right now their run game isn't even a threat.

I knew folks in the program 20 years ago that said Brad Banks didn't really get the offense very well, but he only really had to make one or two reads, slide out on play action and hit what was a very good receiving corps.

Defenses had no idea what to do because that line was freaking unbelievable.

That's not an indictment on Brad Banks; he seemed to have had other intangibles that helped the team. It was just a perfect example of how football doesn't have to be complicated when you've got the right situation up front.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Glad you're not coaching, as that would have been a gift to a team that was struggling. May have just needed one first down to get a field goal attempt in a game we only won by 3.

Lol tell me how great our punts worked out?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Over/Under on the IA/Nevada game this weekend is 41.

Nevada is horrible... and with Iowa's defense assume they score 0-7 points.

Can Iowa score 40?

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Gorm and aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Is Nico Regaini hurt, or did he graduate/transfer? Have to think their passing game will improve with K. Johnson back (hard to regress much more).
Regaini is hurt. For some reason people are saying Kirk is being vague about Johnson and suggest there may be something more going on.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
That's not just bad. It's historically bad. When Navy has more passing yards than you on only 8 completions...wow.

If this trend continues for the entire 12 game season, Brian Ferentz will be paid $475 per yard gained and $150,000 per touchdown.
Personally, I think he's worth way more than that and deserves a raise and an extension.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
They only have 7 all year, 6 to Bruce and 1 to Alec Wick. Only two receivers have caught a pass in 2 games.
That's like old-school Oklahoma and Nebraska stats. Sure, they averaged about a thousand yards rushing per game but they never had this awesome Iowa defense.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
At Iowa you have to run the ball and set it up so the QB basically just has to play catch. It's been their deal forever. Right now their run game isn't even a threat.

I knew folks in the program 20 years ago that said Brad Banks didn't really get the offense very well, but he only really had to make one or two reads, slide out on play action and hit what was a very good receiving corps.

Defenses had no idea what to do because that line was freaking unbelievable.

That's not an indictment on Brad Banks; he seemed to have had other intangibles that helped the team. It was just a perfect example of how football doesn't have to be complicated when you've got the right situation up front.
It seems like they run a lot less play action than they used to. Plus when they do it's a lot of shotgun stuff, which doesn't seem to be quite as effective.

From the QB/RB fake, to the timing of TEs especially, to the OL firing but not getting downfield, watching Iowa's offense run play action was very impressive back in the day. Very precise.

My father in law is a retired coach and spent a few years as an OL coach at the JUCO level in semi-retirement. After a couple years of the switch from Morgan to DL to make room for Brian, he commented how much worse their footwork and positioning got. Now he says their OL execution is at times just flat out sloppy and bad.

Basically Morgan (and Doyle) made guys great OL. They have been able to cash in on that to get great recruits like Wirfs, Linderbaum and Proctor to keep their OL decent, but the days of developing a line at Iowa that is greater than the sum of its parts are over. Everybody talks about how important Doyle was to the program, but I think Morgan was probably the most critical coach on staff during their good run.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The post from their CB on twitter blaming himself for the loss because he only made a pick and didn't return it for a touchdown is hilarious. I can't image being on the defensive side of the ball for that team, you have to have the mindset that not only can you not allow points, but you have to score too.
I saw that, i get he was frustrated, but I really don’t think he was taking that back anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I saw that, i get he was frustrated, but I really don’t think he was taking that back anyway.
Happened right in front of me. Unless he went Barry Sanders on half our team, he wasn't returning that back. Noel was within a couple yards of him and he had no one to block in front of him unless he completely reversed field.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Worst offense I've ever seen in football. There is no word to describe this offense. Iowa probably won't make a bowl game because of how bad their offense is.
I will give you a hot take, Iowa's offense is going to magically improve the next few weeks. They say changes have/will be made but not much will happen.

Reason is, you will have faced a couple defenses that know how to shut your gameplan down and have the speed to cover what you do. You will now face teams that are built similar to yours (3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality) and your offense will have more success.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Their offense is so bad, I was actually surprised they went for it on 4th&10 from their own 33 with 2:18 left in the game. I think they would have been better off booting a 50 yd punt.

Result could have been another return debacle (e.g. our own guys running into each other like what happened a few years ago) or at least another shot to play defense, setting up another chance to block one of our punts backed up deep in ISU territory. I'd take my chances with either of those over Petras completing a 10yd pass under pressure. Then again, I don't aim at the butthole for success, so what do I know.

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Iowa has another problem. The tight end is not as good as they normally have. He drops the ball. His blocking is not good. Iowa has had some fantastic tight ends the bail out their quarterback. Right now they don’t have that.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Their offense is so bad, I was actually surprised they went for it on 4th&10 from their own 33 with 2:18 left in the game. I think they would have been better off booting a 50 yd punt.

Result could have been another return debacle (e.g. our own guys running into each like what happened a few years ago) or at least another shot to play defense, setting up another chance to block one of our punts backed up deep in ISU territory. I'd take my chances with either of those over Petras completing a 10yd pass under pressure. Then again, I don't aim at the butthole for success, so what do I know.
Honestly, it was way more realistic that they could have put two safeties on us in 2:18 than they could count on their offense to drive into decent scoring position.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Is Nico Regaini hurt, or did he graduate/transfer? Have to think their passing game will improve with K. Johnson back (hard to regress much more).
who is going to get them the ball? petras has trouble throwing 5-10 yard out routes. Way too many missed wide open guys. Those WR's can probably get open but that doesn't mean their offense improves any.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Regaini is hurt. For some reason people are saying Kirk is being vague about Johnson and suggest there may be something more going on.
Johnson was actually listed as a starter on the first two-deeps that came out early last week, then the very next day he was mysteriously missing from their revised lineup. Curious indeed.

(I see things like early two-deeps here in Cedar Rapids, breathlessly reported by the Hawkeye press corps)

Reactions: keepngoal

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The total offense per game is 158.00 YPG. Next lowest is 232.5. 131 teams in FBS means the 118th team would be the bottom 10% - that team averages 299.5 YPG. They are almost twice as bad as the bottom 10% team.

Navy has more passing yards than Iowa. Navy has only completed 8 passes.

I haven't been digging but those are two pretty hilarious ones. I'm curious to see what level of ineptitude we could discover.

These stats are unbelievably wonderful.

Twice as bad as the bottom 10% team.

Less passing yards than Navy.

o_O :eek: :p

Reactions: 0u812

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Iowa WR Charlie Jones transfered to Purdue after last season. He had 21 catches last year for the Halks.

He has 21 catches already this year in two games at Purdue.

That is just precious!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It's really crazy a Kirk Ferentz coached team is averaging 57yds rushing per game. Petras deserves flack but the OL is awful. KF's program is built upon that position, crazy how far its fallen the last few years. That can't all be Doyle can it? The OL is what they should be talking about, no Petras.