Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm thinking he had to or fire the guy. Recruits aren't going to want a coach in limbo

I don't want to be a jerk but ISU has 11 wins in 3 years with him at the lead. They have a 4-19-1 conference record, with this most recent year being the worst with an 0-fer season. He now has allegations from former players hanging over his head. He's going to get negatively recruited in every possible way and it will be easy to do it.

I'm not saying he should have been fired or something but to extend him under those circumstances seems absurd.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I don't want to be a jerk but ISU has 11 wins in 3 years with him at the lead. They have a 4-19-1 conference record, with this most recent year being the worst with an 0-fer season.....
What does Fannon make per year?
Curious if JP gave him a raise with the extension based on his on field record.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I don't want to be a jerk but ISU has 11 wins in 3 years with him at the lead. They have a 4-19-1 conference record, with this most recent year being the worst with an 0-fer season. He now has allegations from former players hanging over his head. He's going to get negatively recruited in every possible way and it will be easy to do it.

I'm not saying he should have been fired or something but to extend him under those circumstances seems absurd.

Agreed. So either Jamie is confident that the allegations are baseless AND that it would not benefit the program/AD to cut Fannon loose… OR he’s finally annoyed enough with Birch/The Register that he’s decided to play Big Swinging Director. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out either one of those, but I think the former is much more likely.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I didn't follow this story too closely, but I will say that after 17 years, I trust Pollard to handle this type of situation in the University's best interest. That's not to say that he can't make a mistake, but I just don't see him risking anything for the woman's soccer coach.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm going to assume that JP has a lot more information on the situation than anyone on this board and if he thinks this move is in the best interest of ISU, he's earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

Yeah this is SO in the face of both the allegations of impropriety AND the win-loss results, it makes you almost have to assume that what really is happening is completely opposite of what we all thought.

Either that or Barta and JP are doing a Freaky Friday type switch...

• Haha
Reactions: Ankency

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Apparently this is a great record for women’s volleyball so we signed up for more of the same?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not exactly professional responses from the AD here. Doesn't bode well for "they made an informed decision" and instead smells more like stubbornness and digging their heels in, even if it meant retaining a coach whose record certainly didn't justify an extension.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

The only reason someone from our AD should respond that way to a reporter is if we feel they were recklessly reporting on the school. I don’t know enough information on what exactly did or did not happen, but on the surface this is not a good look for us regardless of how right we think we are. If you feel strongly about your decision to extend a coach, go on record and answer questions. Don’t say leave me alone. If Birch truly doesn’t deserve a response from you because you think he caused unnecessary harm to your school by recklessly reporting on things, then the guy shouldn’t have a job. There’s not a lot of middle ground here in my opinion.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Nov. 7, 2022

FANNON CONTRACT EXTENDED

Iowa State has extended the contract of soccer coach Matt Fannon and his staff according to Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard and Senior Associate Athletics Director / Sports Administration Dr. Calli Sanders.

Fannon’s contract has been extended through Dec. 31, 2026.

“I respect and appreciate the continued commitment that Matt is making to the development of the women in our program, both on and off the playing field,” Pollard said. “He is instilling the same levels of expectation, discipline and accountability towards our student-athletes that all of our head coaches seek. I am excited about the future of our soccer program under Matt’s leadership.”

Fannon just completed his third season with the Cyclones and his first with a full schedule and complete recruiting class (due to COVID-19 challenges), and there has been steady growth in the program.

His first team (2020) had a truncated schedule due to COVID but was highly competitive against the toughest schedule in school history. The 2021 squad ended the year with the school’s longest unbeaten streak (five matches) since 2010. This year’s team was 1-1-1 vs. nationally ranked schools (including a win at #24 Michigan and a tie vs. #23 Texas) and beat Iowa in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series.

Dr. Sanders, who oversees the day-to-day operations of soccer and 14 other sports, noted a consistent and optimistic view of the program’s future in recent student-athlete feedback reviewed.

“We have a continuous evaluation process for all of our programs, including a robust communications platform for student-athletes to share their experiences,” Sanders said. “In the last three years – including recent feedback from our current student-athletes – there is an overwhelming confidence in the leadership of our soccer program and the trajectory of the team’s future. Developing a winning culture takes time and our coaching staff and student-athletes are united in working towards the competitive results that we desire.”

Prior to Iowa State, Fannon led Bowling Green State to a 41-18-7 record (26-6-1 in the MAC) and was named Mid-American Conference Coach-of-the-Year all three seasons. The Falcons advanced to the NCAA Championships in two of those seasons.

“I am extremely grateful to Jamie and Calli for their unwavering support of our program,” Fannon said. “The journey is seldom easy but having the incredible guidance and support of the administration energizes me, our staff and our student-athletes to continue pursuing championship-level soccer and an enriching experience for our players.”

Fannon and his team are preparing for off-season conditioning. Spring season competition begins in March, 2023.

Reactions: Cy$

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Not exactly professional responses from the AD here. Doesn't bode well for "they made an informed decision" and instead smells more like stubbornness and digging their heels in, even if it meant retaining a coach whose record certainly didn't justify an extension.
Yeah, I don’t think Tommy looks terrible here. I think the ad’s office looks worse