Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
It's one of the issues I have with wrestling.
Sure, and everyone could wrestle at their natural weight…problem is, one guy realizes he can get better results by wrestling at a lower weight and so the arms race begins…

Same with any sport, including women’s soccer. The ladies could play at their natural weight and as long as everyone did it, there would be no advantage. However, one player realizes she’s a little faster and a little more efficient with a couple less pounds and so it goes. If you want to play at the highest level (like Power 5 athletics), you have to give everything to be at your best. This coach is just trying to put his players and his team in the best position to win. People have a hard time hearing the truth, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s being ugly about it.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Ye

You may be right but it feels like the two sides were more “this is bs” and “these accusations aren’t great (but not necessarily true).” I don’t think those are equal

People that deny the claims without any knowledge of the situation are just as bad as the people that overreact to it without any knowledge. You can question the validity of claims and that doesn’t automatically mean you deny bad things still happen in today’s world and need to be investigated.

I don’t think it’s wise to cast the claims immediately as BS just as much as I don’t think it’s wise to bring Nassar into the conversation like someone did earlier. It appears the post has since been deleted or edited, but that was outrageous too. Those examples are obviously at the extremes and not indicative of everyone in this thread.

I think (hope) most people don’t want these claims to be true and I think (hope) most people would want a thorough investigation done to see if the claims were valid.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Ye

You may be right but it feels like the two sides were more “this is bs” and “these accusations aren’t great (but not necessarily true).” I don’t think those are equal
There was definitely a this is true let’s fire him group. I think most people were skeptical at first but wanted more info. You definitely have more people saying this is BS now but I think as we learn more it is seeming to be that way.

Reactions: AllInForISU

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think (hope) most people would want a thorough investigation done to see if the claims were valid.
And all I’m saying is I don’t think the people believing “this is bs” really thought an investigation was necessary

There was definitely a this is true let’s fire him group. I think most people were skeptical at first but wanted more info. You definitely have more people saying this is BS now but I think as we learn more it is seeming to be that way.
I think most of the people on the “fire him” train were more of the mindset that he sucks as a coach and wasn’t worth the controversy. That’s different than automatically believing the accusations

• Disagree
Reactions: AllInForISU

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I disagree but go ahead. Just hope you aren’t wrong and don’t have to eat crow later
Do you think Tommy’s going to hide behind the bushes and catch him reading player weights after practice with a bull horn or something? This story is dead until he is fired or moves on.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I was surprised he got the extension but because of his record. But I don't know anything about soccer or what the expectations are.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
And all I’m saying is I don’t think the people believing “this is bs” really thought an investigation was necessary

I think most of the people on the “fire him” train were more of the mindset that he sucks as a coach and wasn’t worth the controversy. That’s different than automatically believing the accusations
I’m sorry this is happening to you.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

Except just firing him is basically believing the accusations.