Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Randy coming to Tommy’s side. The Rag not making any friends in Ames.
The only piece I can agree with is JP needs to address the accusations.
Didn’t he jump to defend Bill when he’s had accusations in the past?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
When was the request made? They have 20 days to respond.
Yeah, and I think best practice is to say “hey, we’ve forwarded it on to legal/whoever” but I’m not sure that’s required.

Iowa state should definitely not be ignoring open records requests, but have they failed to comply or are they just taking their time?

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, and I think best practice is to say “hey, we’ve forwarded it on to legal/whoever” but I’m not sure that’s required.

Iowa state should definitely not be ignoring open records requests, but have they failed to comply or are they just taking their time?
The initial response would definitely be some kind of timeline and any potential cost associated with the search, because their can be a charge for FOIA requests. I've been a part of foia requests before, and depending on the request it's can be a big pain in the ass. Records department will reach out to anyone who may have a record and ask for an estimate on how long it will take to find the information. I would guess members of media know this and try to do their best to keep the request simple.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When was the request made? They have 20 days to respond.
That was my first thought.

Someone said it earlier, if you don't say SOMETHING, then the media will write their own narrative, which by default is usually to sensationalize the issue to get noticed and get readers. You have to get your story/message out there.

Reactions: mitchforcy

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009

Ken Miller on Miller and Condon made it sound like they ignored them. But Birch's article says that their open records request for records relating to Title 9 complaints and investigations was denied. So it was acknowledged it appears.

So it sounds like there was a response but it was denied. Apparently the director of the Iowa Freedom of Information Council said that the request was broad enough for the school to comply and the lack of response was "troubling".

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The initial response would definitely be some kind of timeline and any potential cost associated with the search, because their can be a charge for FOIA requests. I've been a part of foia requests before, and depending on the request it's can be a big pain in the ass. Records department will reach out to anyone who may have a record and ask for an estimate on how long it will take to find the information. I would guess members of media know this and try to do their best to keep the request simple.
Pretty sure I'd just ask for any emails between Jamie and the soccer admin person and coach.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
JP giving an extension makes you think they have looked into this and decided there was no wrongdoing. But if that was the case why not come out and say that instead of letting the register run with this story? Odd situation.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
ISU's response to the FOIA request per the Register article

"Records relating to Title IX complaints and investigations are confidential and are not subject to public disclosure. This is true of the complaint documents themselves and other information that is likely to allow for the identification of individuals making a Title IX complaint or who are the subject of a Title IX complaint. Accordingly, to the extent any records exist that are responsive to your request, they would be confidential and not subject to disclosure," the school said in response to the request.

Help Support Us

Become a patron