Matt Fannon (Iowa state womens soccer coach) accused of body shaming/ verbal abuse

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Why would he do that over a women's soccer coach? A coach with a bad record. Tells me they looked into it and found the whole thing to be BS.
Could be but is it normal to keep a disgruntled athlete on Scholarship till she graduates? Scholarship are 1 year contacts, she has been atcISU for 4 years now, only played 2 and is still Scholarship. Seems awful nice of the University.

Honest question is it common in this situation to uphold the Scholarship of a player no longer on the team?

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Could be but is it normal to keep a disgruntled athlete on Scholarship till she graduates? Scholarship are 1 year contacts, she has been atcISU for 4 years now, only played 2 and is still Scholarship. Seems awful nice of the University.

Honest question is it common in this situation to uphold the Scholarship of a player no longer on the team?

Depends. There were a couple guys who had to many concussions and had to quit when I was playing FB, Mac left them on scholarship even thought they didn't play.

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
it is?

Also, isn't part of her job to respond to media requests?

I'm surprised they kept him, not because I know he's guilty but because I didn't see the upside in keeping him. I don't know how cutthroat women's soccer recruiting is but this can't help and it sure looks like they need some players.

If I were going to psycho-analyze Pollard here, it kind of seems like he felt that if he let the coach go it would have been seen as an admission of guilt on the coach and he didn't want to do that. It's probably not going to work out where this turns into a success but this also isn't exactly a huge priority for the fanbase so does it matter if you let the guy go now or in three years?
I do know that every major Hilton event had a Senior Athletic Department person present in the past.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Amateur hour response here. Media relations is also part of her job. If at any point in the last two weeks she actually gives an answer on any of this, the issue is probably dead and buried. Instead, here we are.
Right. It's not like he cornered her at a grocery store on a Sunday and demanded a comment.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020

I think the scholarship offers are now four years. It was that way forever until 4-5 years ago.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Depends. There were a couple guys who had to many concussions and had to quit when I was playing FB, Mac left them on scholarship even thought they didn't play.
Campbell did the same for a buddy of mine who was recruited under Rhoads but had to "retire" due to back issues.

Reactions: isufbcurt

CloneJD

May 14, 2020

I’m guessing she’s on partial and the mental health situation played into it.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Tommy fires back in today’s Rag print edition front page

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Allegedly, one of the girls that claimed she was kicked off the team actually left the team on her own accord but didn't want to tell her parents the truth about it because they had pushed her into being a D1 soccer player. So we aren't getting the full story from the media side of things.

Last edited:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Per Skip, one of the girls that claimed she was kicked off the team actually left the team on her own accord but didn't want to tell her parents the truth about it because they had pushed her into being a D1 soccer player. So we aren't getting the full story from the media side of things.

If true.....WOWWWWW

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
Per Skip, one of the girls that claimed she was kicked off the team actually left the team on her own accord but didn't want to tell her parents the truth about it because they had pushed her into being a D1 soccer player. So we aren't getting the full story from the media side of things.

No way......not the media....

Lots of busted ankles in here from people jumping to conclusions

BTW-thanks for the info Mackey

Reactions: Cy$ and GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
No way......not the media....

Lots of busted ankles in here from people jumping to conclusions

BTW-thanks for the info Mackey
I don't really have a dog in the fight, but there has only been one side of the story reported and Birch didn't give Iowa State a chance to tell their side before he pushed out his article.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I don't really have a dog in the fight, but there has only been one side of the story reported and Birch didn't give Iowa State a chance to tell their side before he pushed out his article.
Shocking - a journalist reports one side of the story as a fact.