Does the B12 Tournament matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That would be a real blow, unlike losing to TCU in the afterthought.
Did it matter in 2013 when KSU and KU tied for the regular season champs, even though KU beat KSU twice by a combined 25 points? I mean KSU made it to the championship game that year, only to get waxed by KU for a third time by 16 points.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Will be interesting to see how the conference teams are seeded. This loss didn't help K-State, furthering my point about the afterthought.

I sincerely hope KSU's coaching staff and players took King McClure's opinion to heart and they drop a seed line as a result.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm always amazed at the fights you chose to pick and then continue instead of just letting them die. ISU fans love K.C. and the tourney and you just wanted to poke the hornet nest for something to do.
Not really. You're drawing conclusions that are completely lacking context. This thread started before the tournament. I have responded to prompts, that's all. This is a meaningless tournament for all but the winner as will be apparent when the others lose.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Not really. You're drawing conclusions that are completely lacking context. This thread started before the tournament and I have responded to prompts, that's all. It's not like y'all shot my dog after all. This is a meaningless tournament for all but the winner as will be apparent when the others lose.

If Iowa State beats Kansas tonight but loses to TCU it was not meaningless for Iowa State. Adding 2 top 15 wins in 3 days will matter on Sunday.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Selfishly it is nice to watch them play the tournament. Especially when we win the whole thing. If it was taken away then we would all be angry. Not to mention KC flood of money for a week. Maybe have less conference games (let's say 3 less) and the tournament could compensate for less games. I mean everyone is tired of playing each other at this point. There isn't a break at all like in football. Maybe just me and old man talk. Those 18-23 year old's should be invincible.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Selfishly it is nice to watch them play the tournament. Especially when we win the whole thing. If it was taken away then we would all be angry. Not to mention KC flood of money for a week. Maybe have less conference games (let's say 3 less) and the tournament could compensate for less games. I mean everyone is tired of playing each other at this point. There isn't a break at all like in football. Maybe just me and old man talk. Those 18-23 year old's should be invincible.
I think I agree with that, the general tenor of it anyway. Pretty much what King McClure said as well. I'd much rather see a preseason tournament.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Not really. You're drawing conclusions that are completely lacking context. This thread started before the tournament. I have responded to prompts, that's all. This is a meaningless tournament for all but the winner as will be apparent when the others lose.

So it means something until you lose?

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
If ISU beats Ku, it will be good for the Cyclones. It won't affect B12 champion Ku at all. Baylor and K-State likely remain three seeds.
KSU loss yesterday puts the 3 seed in real jeopardy. They are on the wrong side of the 3/4 line according to the advanced metrics. Even more so if Xavier is able to win vs Creighton today.

These games don't matter though.
1678468749337.png

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I haven't read all the messages. Would a preseason tournament wins or losses go towards regular season then?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Win the last game and you're happy. Lose along the way and no one really cares, nor does it matter much.
K-State could very likely become a four seed, especially with teams like Tennessee, marquette, UConn, Xavier, Virginia, Miami, and Indiana all still alive and realizing that their conference tournaments still matter to their seeding.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
If ISU beats Ku, it will be good for the Cyclones. It won't affect B12 champion Ku at all. Baylor and K-State likely remain three seeds.

Baylor was a consensus 2 seed yesterday. So them moving to the 3 line would have been an adverse effect of getting beat yesterday. Iowa State winning out could possibly vault them into that 3 range as well.

I would rather control as much of my seed destination as I can.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Baylor was a consensus 2 seed yesterday. So them moving to the 3 line would have been an adverse effect of getting beat yesterday. Iowa State winning out could possibly vault them into that 3 range as well.

I would rather control as much of my seed destination as I can.
it could very well likely be that ISU winning it and vaulting them to a 3 could knock out K-State and put them at 4 moving them from DSM.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
In this matter, to talk about the value of the B12 tournament to players and coaches, mostly following King McClure's comments that it just didn't matter to many of them.
Said after the fact after they never won…..Do you get where this is going? Trying to downplay something as unimportant after not winning. Seems like a defense tactic to make himself feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.