Does the B12 Tournament matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My sense this morning is that the only programs who are fully vested in it are at the bottom. oSu, WVU, TxT have an interest in doing well to secure their NCAA births. OU would have to win it to get a dance card.

For the rest, yes, it would be a nice trophy in the case but everyone will have forgotten who did what by next week when the dance starts. I remember Bob Knight ranting about it over there as meaningless.

I mean I'll watch out of curiosity and because I love this league and each team. But I wont have a fit over an early or late out, unless it's the championship game. The 2023 B12 champion is Ku.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
My sense this morning is that the only programs who are fully vested in it are at the bottom. oSu, WVU, TxT have an interest in doing well to secure their NCAA births. OU would have to win it to get a dance card.

For the rest, yes, it would be a nice trophy in the case but everyone will have forgotten who did what by next week when the dance starts. I remember Bob Knight ranting about it over there as meaningless.

I mean I'll watch out of curiosity and because I love this league and each team. But I wont have a fit over an early or late out, unless it's the championship game. The 2023 B12 champion is Ku.

I guess I wouldn’t care about it if my team never has won it like Kansas State.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I could be wrong, but I feel like this is a fan question more than a team question. For a team full of comptetive college athletes, I'm willing to bet it matters. Any win/loss can impact confidence as well.
IDK about that. I heard King McClure this morning say that players are tired of playing one another by now and just want to move on to the dance. He played at the highest level. I respect his views as a past player. Actually, his comments were why I brought the topic.

Frankly, I suspect fans care more than many of the players who have their eyes on something far more important. And coaches don't want tired nor injured teams going into next week.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Conference regular season champions
1917, 1919, 1948, 1950, 1951, 1956, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 2013, 2019

This is about the conference tournament correct? Please post Kansas State’s winning the conference tournament.

Reactions: aauummm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Also, can we talk about how it's straight ******** that in basketball, people want to gloss over the conference tournament and view the regular season champ as "real", but then in football we do the exact opposite and award the conference title to the team who wins one game, as opposed to the team that dominated the regular season.

Because ISU wins a lot of conference tournaments in basketball, and has won the regular season (but not the CCG) in football, the whole thing feels like a way to just go "na nana boo boo" to us.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Also, can we talk about how it's straight ******** that in basketball, people want to gloss over the conference tournament and view the regular season champ as "real", but then in football we do the exact opposite and award the conference title to the team who wins one game, as opposed to the team that dominated the regular season.

Because ISU wins a lot of conference tournaments in basketball, and has won the regular season (but not the CCG) in football, the whole thing feels like a way to just go "na nana boo boo" to us.
Both are money grabs. TCU should have been awarded the B12 football championship this year based on their regular season record. The CFP also comes into play in football while it doesn't matter in hoops who goes to the dance.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

This kind of thinking got us the 4 team playoff in FB.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Both are money grabs. TCU should have been awarded the B12 football championship this year based on their regular season record.
Why not just recognize both in football like you do in basketball? TCU was the Big 12 regular season champ, KSU was the Big 12 championship game winner.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
For ISU this season, no. Lose to Baylor. You're in the tourney already and you're not moving up at all. Save your energy, save the injuries.
I think this team would move an entire seed line if they won the conference tournament. I think anything that keeps the positive momentum from Baylor rolling is beneficial after that massive slump and the Grill dismissal.

Status
Not open for further replies.