Does the B12 Tournament matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If you enjoy fun, then yes it matters. The Big 12 tournament is the most fun sporting event I've ever been to and I'm very fortunate to have been a lot of really fun events.
See, this is sorta my point. It matters most to the fans, not the players, as King McClure pointed out this morning on B12 radio. I suspect he's right.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
C8qeNWY.jpg

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
IDK about that. I heard King McClure this morning say that players are tired of playing one another by now and just want to move on to the dance. He played at the highest level. I respect his views as a past player. Actually, his comments were why I brought the topic.

Frankly, I suspect fans care more than many of the players who have their eyes on something far more important. And coaches don't want tired nor injured teams going into next week.
These tournaments and games are actually pretty darn important for teams that still need work to make the tournament, and for teams who can help/hurt their seeding.

Are their teams where it doesn’t matter one way or another? Sure, but this week is to get guys mentally prepared for post season basketball.

Reactions: tim_redd

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Its a fun few days of basketball, who doesn't like that? Obviously the big dance is much more important, but that's the case vs any game during the year.

Reactions: surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
These tournaments and games are actually pretty darn important for teams that still need work to make the tournament, and for teams who can help/hurt their seeding.

Are their teams where it doesn’t matter one way or another? Sure, but this week is to get guys mentally prepared for post season basketball.
Well, that's what I said in the opening post. It matters to the lower tier, not so much to the already-seeded teams. I mean guys like King McClure are saying just that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
See, this is sorta my point. It matters most to the fans, not the players, as King McClure pointed out this morning on B12 radio. I suspect he's right.
You can’t take one guy’s opinion on a matter and then make a blanket assumption for other athletes lol. King didn’t have much success in this tournament either, so it’s easy for him to make such a statement

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
IDK about that. I heard King McClure this morning say that players are tired of playing one another by now and just want to move on to the dance. He played at the highest level. I respect his views as a past player. Actually, his comments were why I brought the topic.

Frankly, I suspect fans care more than many of the players who have their eyes on something far more important. And coaches don't want tired nor injured teams going into next week.
Watch how the players react during the games and tell me it doesn't matter. The intensity is much higher than a typical regular season game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, but I'm a fan, so...

Also, watch video of Marial Shayok on the court after his win, him hugging people, him saying "I needed that, I needed that" over and over and please tell me it doesn't matter to the players.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
For ISU this season, no. Lose to Baylor. You're in the tourney already and you're not moving up at all. Save your energy, save the injuries.
We just put out a brand new starting lineup and rotation and snapped a 4 game losing streak while ending a disastrous month of play. We need all the momentum we can get. I'd like at least one more win.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
ISU may have found itself again Saturday so for them to maybe continue to ascend would be pretty great.

Otherwise no not really this year.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well, that's what I said in the opening post. It matters to the lower tier, not so much to the already-seeded teams.
And I said it can affect the seeding of teams already in the field. ISU could jump up to a 4 seed if they’d win it all, but if they lose first round, would likely be a 6. Does the tournament matter in terms of making the dance? No, but there is still something to play for.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I think this team would move an entire seed line if they won the conference tournament. I think anything that keeps the positive momentum from Baylor rolling is beneficial after that massive slump and the Grill dismissal.
I agree but the tradeoff is playing 3 games in 3 days. IMO, get rest, get healthy, come in ready to go for the Big Dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron