Does the B12 Tournament matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Surly was triggered cause he said KSU last week cares more about winning regular season championships than ISU, even though it was pointed out that ISU and KSU both have 2 Big 12 Championships. Also KSUs are both shared.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So am I. But think about the players who are tired, beat up, and looking at playing this B12 thingy on top of a rugged conference schedule. It's a money grab, like the football championship game, only with less meaning.

Okay, I'll be having a great time on Thursday, I will be enjoying an awesome day watching basketball and the P&L after, and I fully appreciate them giving me the chance to give them my money in this money grab to have a truly outstanding sporting experience. Great job by those who organize and execute this event.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And I said it can affect the seeding of teams already in the field. ISU could jump up to a 4 seed if they’d win it all, but if they lose first round, would likely be a 6. Does the tournament matter in terms of making the dance? No, but there is still something to play for.
We don't even know that, do we? I mean the field hasn't been set prior to the B12 thingy, so how is one to be sure it matters at all? I've heard some talking heads say it doesn't.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
One win would be great but either way we’re firmly in the big dance and I don’t think we’ll move much from where we’re pegged to be ranked regardless of a win or loss vs Baylor. Personally, I’d be okay with one more win, especially it being over a high caliber team that we’ve shellacked twice this year. But more than anything, I want our guys to get the hell out of the Big 12 and rest would be good for our guys, especially now that Gabe and Holmes will probably have to play 35+ mins these next (hopefully) few games

• Winner
Reactions: surly

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So am I. But think about the players who are tired, beat up, and looking at playing this B12 thingy on top of a rugged conference schedule. It's a money grab, like the football championship game, only with less meaning.
The exposure is actually very important for teams and players as well.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
My sense this morning is that the only programs who are fully vested in it are at the bottom. oSu, WVU, TxT have an interest in doing well to secure their NCAA births. OU would have to win it to get a dance card.

For the rest, yes, it would be a nice trophy in the case but everyone will have forgotten who did what by next week when the dance starts. I remember Bob Knight ranting about it over there as meaningless.

I mean I'll watch out of curiosity and because I love this league and each team. But I wont have a fit over an early or late out, unless it's the championship game. The 2023 B12 champion is Ku.

Some of my best Cyclone memories are Big 12 tournament runs. I definitely don't forget them in a week.

If you could guarentee that an early exit leads to a NCAA tournament run, then sure, I'd say they don't matter, but at least for Iowa State, there is no correllation.

1996 won the tournament and won 1 game in the NCAA.
1997 won 1 game in Big 12 and Sweet Sixteen
2000 won the Big 12 and made the Elite 8.
2001 lost in first round of Big 12 and NCAA
2005 won 1 game in Big 12 and 1 game in NCAA
2012 lost in first round of Big 12 and won 1 in NCAA
2013 won 1 game in Big 12 and 1 game in NCAA
2014 won Big 12 and made the sweet 16
2015 won Big 12 and lost in first round of NCAA
2016 lost in first round of Big 12 and made the sweet 16
2017 won the Big 12 and won 1 game in the NCAA tournament.
2019 won the Big 12 and lost in first round of the NCAA.
2022 lost in first round of Big 12 and made the sweet 16.

I guess recently, our upset NCAA tournament losses followed a Big 12 title, but I'm not sure I'd call that a trend.

Reactions: CyclonePigskin

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
And I said it can affect the seeding of teams already in the field. ISU could jump up to a 4 seed if they’d win it all, but if they lose first round, would likely be a 6. Does the tournament matter in terms of making the dance? No, but there is still something to play for.
And I already said you don't know that. The field hasn't been set.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I was making an informed commentary on the B12 tournament, something that would have far more usefulness played during the holiday season.

That's just what players want, to not have time with their families around the holidays.

Listen, I understand you hate fun. Don't take it out on those of us who like to have a good time at this thing.

Reactions: VeloClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We don't even know that, do we? I mean the field hasn't been set prior to the B12 thingy, so how is one to be sure it matters at all? I've heard some talking heads say it doesn't.
You have zero clue what you’re talking about and the fact you just said thingy means you personally don’t care about it at all (guessing cause your favorite team had sucked in it).

If you don’t care about it, awesome. That’s a fine opinion to have, but you’re trying to project your opinion onto the rest of us and are being dense on purpose.

The games matter and the players/teams care.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Exposure? What's to be proved in Kc that hasn't already in the round-robin? Like we don't already know the order of these teams?
So what’s the endgame to this thread? Are you trying to get people to say the Big 12 tournament is 100% meaningless? It’s ok if it’s meaningless to you. Others probably don’t find it meaningless. Just not sure what your goal is here.

Reactions: Statefan10

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Exposure? What's to be proved in Kc that hasn't already in the round-robin? Like we don't already know the order of these teams?
You heard it here first. All conference tourneys shall be terminated henceforth by the Holy Writ of Bob Surly T.M. Cats. Here endeth the informed lesson. End this thread and grovel as you prostrate yourself before his Hokiness.

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY and surly
Status
Not open for further replies.