Dr. Jill has invited Hawkeye Women to the White House

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Iowa and decency? What the #### are you smoking? Also the way Cizanero was using her elbows, she should have been fouled out earlier.
One major difference I have noticed in how women and men's games are officiated is related to posts. In the men's game, if you aren't 100% vertical while standing or jumping to block a shot/player, it will be a foul. I saw many times in the women games that the post could be close to 45% and if the offensive player jumped into the arms, it was a no call most of the time.

Reactions: VeloClone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The ppl that don't like Clark claim to not like her trash talking but then the next second are saying trash talk is no big deal(which I agree with) Hard to understand how she's the bad guy here or why so many have turned in her. No one has given any evidence she disrespected Reese but Reese keeps repeating that she was disrespected. Disrespected by who?

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The ppl that don't like Clark claim to not like her trash talking but then the next second are saying trash talk is no big deal(which I agree with) Hard to understand how she's the bad guy here or why so many have turned in her. No one has given any evidence she disrespected Reese but Reese keeps repeating that she was disrespected. Disrespected by who?
She said CC disrespected one of her teammates (Alexis?) but no idea what or how. Don't know what Reese is referring to with that. She also said she was standing up for her "SEC sisters" who she thinks Clark also disrespected in the FF game.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
She said CC disrespected one of her teammates (Alexis?) but no idea what or how. Don't know what Reese is referring to with that. She also said she was standing up for her "SEC sisters" who she thinks Clark also disrespected in the FF game.

Clark's not totally innocent on this. I'm sure she said things during the game.

Why was this a story in the first place? Why did the national media and local media go apesh*t over it.

Reactions: AlCyJim

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

While I think it's nonsense, manufacturing drama to use as motivation is hardly new. Just look at all the teams who say people doubted them when they've been presumptive favorites all year. It's just a think that elite athletes and teams are able to do for motivation.

Reactions: VeloClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Clark's not totally innocent on this. I'm sure she said things during the game.

Why was this a story in the first place? Why did the national media and local media go apesh*t over it.
I didn't say Clark was innocent. Things probably were said during the game, from both sides. That's the way they play the game these days. I can't stand it, but trash talk is the norm I believe. Much of the media outcry over Reese's behavior probably is rooted in racism and double standards, to some extent, and that double standard is rightly being called out.

Reactions: madguy30

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I like her too. She has finally brought media attention to what the media darling gets away with every game. Also to the disparity in coverage of players who “look like her.”

I think alot of what she does is done to grow her social media clout, which is not in any way a bad thing. The earning potential for women is professional sports is not very high. I think she's smart enough to know that she has more earning potential through her social media/internet fame than through her game. And there's no doubt more people who know she is today than they did a week ago.

I guess I can see why it rubs people the wrong way, but I think she's seen the landscape for college women athletes and knows that setting yourself apart is done primarily through your social media presence. And I can't fault her for that.

Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I can't say I have a huge problem with it. Take off the cardinal and gold blinders and see that these two took part in the highest rated game in womens basketball history. It was a huge moment for the sport.

They invite entire football teams to the WH, they can handle 2 basketball teams. Hell, as someone said earlier, even if they invited the whole final 4, why not? Its something fun for all of them.
Not the way this one went. Can't start it now. If you miss why, well, sorry.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It was suggested this morning ( on the Dan Patrick show) that it could be political since Iowa lost first in the nation for the next election throw Iowa a bone so people would support her husband. It is a stretch but the way politics have gone now would not surprise me.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
A part of the problem that celebrities get into is that some advisor suggests that they make some statement and then the stuff hits the fan and the celebrity takes the hit. I’ll give Jill a little slack for making a really dumb statement that also quickly turned offensive. I would guess that votes in Iowa and Johnson County played into the remark.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is a horrible idea and I hope Biden doesn't follow his wife's suggestion.

This game has already taken on very strong racial overtones. The nation perceives Iowa as the white team led by the great white hope Clark, and LSU is the black team. Whites describe Clark as "competitive" and Reese as a "thug".

If the Whitehouse breaks tradition and, for the first time in history, invites the losing team (the white team) to share the spotlight with the black team, this will blow up in Biden's face and become a full blown racial issue.
The nation doesn't perceive it as that. The media frames it as that.

• Disagree
Reactions: drmwevr08

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Was listening to Stephen A. Smith this morning and he couldn't believe she invited both teams. He thought it was a dumb idea.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I think a major difference in what CC did and Angel did was Angel chased CC around the court like a 6 year old would do to antagonise a person about something. CC does it and moves on. Angel basically quit playing and just chased CC around doing the same thing over and over
When you have a 15 point lead with less than 30 seconds left you can quit playing and start celebrating.

Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's a totally innocent comment, but you can see why it's generated some outrage. Even if not her intent, it smacks of "oh, we wish the other team would have won", which of course then invokes the discussions around why they'd prefer to be hosting the Iowa players over the LSU players.

I shrugged it off like something a non sports fan mom would say. Looking at the ratings compared to a few years ago it was something that transcended sports even without the Angel thing at the end.

I think it's people who played at some sort of high level at any sport that take offense, I actually kind of get it if they don't step back and realize this is somebody who probably knows next to nothing about sports. Generally Jill Biden is about the most likable, least offensive and non-political political figures of our lifetime...I can kind of get the criticism in this one case if people keep it in context. The nutjobs who have FREAKED out that she sometimes is called "doctor" because she has a PHD probably need to be put in an asylum though.

• Agree
Reactions: WooBadger18