What will be the next major impact to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If a natural disaster happens that really wipes out the human species I'd like it to be instaneous. Just a flash of light and all gone.

Maybe the only thing left is like those fish in the depths of the ocean with the headlamps, and it all starts over.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm missing this reference can enlighten me. TIA.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad

"We must negate the machines-that-think. Humans must set their own guidelines. This is not something machines can do. Reasoning depends upon programming, not on hardware, and we are the ultimate program! Our Jihad is a "dump program." We dump the things which destroy us as humans!"― Minister-companion of the Jihad[src]

The Butlerian Jihad, also known as the Great Revolt as well as commonly shortened to the Jihad, was the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots that begun in 201 BG and concluded in 108 BG.[1]

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If a natural disaster happens that really wipes out the human species I'd like it to be instaneous. Just a flash of light and all gone.

Maybe the only thing left is like those fish in the depths of the ocean with the headlamps, and it all starts over.
My batshit crazy MIL is one of those crazies with a basement full of crap for the end of the world. It’s the end of the world, who cares if you can eat canned tuna a little longer?

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
How about another earthquake in the New Madrid Fault Zone?

Today, large cities dot the region with skyscrapers not retrofitted in any way to withstand large earthquakes magnified by liquefaction. Chicago is the biggest, and the most prone to liquefaction—the city was built on very flat, easily flooded wetlands. Chicago also has the largest collection of skyscrapers older than 75 years anywhere in the world outside New York City. Who knows what will happen when very strong liquefaction shaking hits these large, old structures covered in masonry. St. Louis and Memphis are other, much smaller cities that were built on wetlands and prone to liquefaction. There are also Nashville, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Cincinnati that are in the zone of shaking. All these cities are sitting ducks if a massive 7.5 moment magnitude earthquake hits the region (that’s about 50 times more powerful than a 6.0 earthquake due to the logarithmic nature of the scales that measure the power of earthquakes).

And if a huge 8.0 earthquake hits the region, then even cities as far north as Minneapolis and Detroit and as far south as Dallas will be hit with damage. Some scary shaking will also hit the major east coast cities like New York, Boston and Washington. Chicago, St. Louis and Memphis are likely to suffer catastrophic damage. [Quora]

Also:

Earthquakes terrify me more than any other form of storm/natural disaster. Tornado, go in the basement and your odds are good. Hurricane, you see it coming ahead of time skip town for a bit. Earthquake, what a lovely day, oh s***.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad

"We must negate the machines-that-think. Humans must set their own guidelines. This is not something machines can do. Reasoning depends upon programming, not on hardware, and we are the ultimate program! Our Jihad is a "dump program." We dump the things which destroy us as humans!"― Minister-companion of the Jihad[src]

The Butlerian Jihad, also known as the Great Revolt as well as commonly shortened to the Jihad, was the crusade against computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots that begun in 201 BG and concluded in 108 BG.[1]

Never did the whole Dune thing Thanks!

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Today, large cities dot the region with skyscrapers not retrofitted in any way to withstand large earthquakes magnified by liquefaction. Chicago is the biggest, and the most prone to liquefaction—the city was built on very flat, easily flooded wetlands. Chicago also has the largest collection of skyscrapers older than 75 years anywhere in the world outside New York City. Who knows what will happen when very strong liquefaction shaking hits these large, old structures covered in masonry. St. Louis and Memphis are other, much smaller cities that were built on wetlands and prone to liquefaction. There are also Nashville, Indianapolis, Kansas City and Cincinnati that are in the zone of shaking. All these cities are sitting ducks if a massive 7.5 moment magnitude earthquake hits the region (that’s about 50 times more powerful than a 6.0 earthquake due to the logarithmic nature of the scales that measure the power of earthquakes).

And if a huge 8.0 earthquake hits the region, then even cities as far north as Minneapolis and Detroit and as far south as Dallas will be hit with damage. Some scary shaking will also hit the major east coast cities like New York, Boston and Washington. Chicago, St. Louis and Memphis are likely to suffer catastrophic damage. [Quora]

Also:

This would be absolutely wild. I have never really experienced an earthquake. I mean…I vividly remember the extremely small tremor felt in central Iowa a few years ago. 2016, maybe, which was the result of a 5.6 in Oklahoma. That slight tremor freaked me out. Weirdest thing I think I’ve ever felt.

I just can’t even fathom what a damaging earthquake would feel like.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Earthquakes terrify me more than any other form of storm/natural disaster. Tornado, go in the basement and your odds are good. Hurricane, you see it coming ahead of time skip town for a bit. Earthquake, what a lovely day, oh s***.
I spent four years fretting over son who went to college in California. He slept through the largest one in those four years, then moved to hurricane territory although they miraculously kept power at his house with the one that hit Orlando the worst while he was there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My batshit crazy MIL is one of those crazies with a basement full of crap for the end of the world. It’s the end of the world, who cares if you can eat canned tuna a little longer?

There's also the 'what about the next generation?' scenario of concern.

Uh, they'll be gone too. Nobody will be sad because they won't be there to be sad.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Also:

This got me thinking. A major earthquake along the San Andreas is way overdue, and I’m sure everyone has heard of “The Big One”. The whole west coast falling into the ocean would be a pretty impactful event.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
This got me thinking. A major earthquake along the San Andreas is way overdue, and I’m sure everyone has heard of “The Big One”. The whole west coast falling into the ocean would be a pretty impactful event.

On the entire menu of natural disasters, I think this is the one that hits the strike zone of most scary plus most possible. I'm not sure "whole west coast falling into the ocean" is certain, but some kind of monumental plate shift alone could be catastrophic.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Thank you. This is my biggest gripe. I feel like I have to go to about 4 different slanted sources to understand what is actually going on. I miss Walter Cronkite and Jim Lehrer.
Read the New York Times news section. It’s the best and you’ll learn a lot of interesting things not covered by the networks.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I spent four years fretting over son who went to college in California. He slept through the largest one in those four years, then moved to hurricane territory although they miraculously kept power at his house with the one that hit Orlando the worst while he was there.
Earthquakes are overrated. Spent 30 years in CA. Through numerous quakes. Just like all 'unexpected' dangers, the ability to remain calm and calculated, greatly improves your survival rate. There are inherent dangers everywhere. Live life. Don't fear it.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What about a reversal of the magnetic field? That could be a hell of a thing. Or a giant solar flare that knocks out electricity on half the globe. Hopefully, the other half...

I think we've moved past societal changes into disaster movie territory though...

Reactions: enisthemenace

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Technology and natural disasters aside. The biggest trend of concern for our civilization is the rise of Authoritarian Nationalism and anti- Democratic forces around the world.

mMost people take our modern civilization, relative peace and standard of living for granted. But the truth is, we all hit the lottery to be born in this time and place in humanities history. And this is largely due to the leadership of Western Democratic nations since we defeated fascism in World War 2. Now, most veterans of the war are gone and many forget the lessons and horrors of war, and how lucky we are to live in free, democratic nations who mostly work together. That is an extreme rarity in our species timeline.

I consider the fact that we haven’t had another world war, or a nuclear war in 80 years to be one of our species greatest achievements. But it’s a way more fragile world than many realize, and it’s not guaranteed to continue.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Technology and natural disasters aside. The biggest trend of concern for our civilization is the rise of Authoritarian Nationalism and anti- Democratic forces around the world.

mMost people take our modern civilization, relative peace and standard of living for granted. But the truth is, we all hit the lottery to be born in this time and place in humanities history. And this is largely due to the leadership of Western Democratic nations since we defeated fascism in World War 2. Now, most veterans of the war are gone and many forget the lessons and horrors of war, and how lucky we are to live in free, democratic nations who mostly work together. That is an extreme rarity in our species timeline.

I consider the fact that we haven’t had another world war, or a nuclear war in 80 years to be one of our species greatest achievements. But it’s a way more fragile world than many realize, and it’s not guaranteed to continue.
Missed the whole “let’s not make this political” post in the beginning didn’t ya.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Life started about 3.7 billion years ago on Earth.

The sun is progressively getting hotter as time goes by. It was much dimmer for the dinosaurs.

In about one billion years, the oceans will boil. Very little of the biosphere will be left.

Some microbes might hang on underground, but large, complex life is probably done.

The sun will eat the Earth in roughly 4-5 billion years. All life on Earth undoubtedly ends.

So we're already pretty late into the increment in which large, complex organisms can exist on this planet. If there was a hard reset/need to start over, then there's not as much time to rebuild.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Earthquakes are overrated. Spent 30 years in CA. Through numerous quakes. Just like all 'unexpected' dangers, the ability to remain calm and calculated, greatly improves your survival rate. There are inherent dangers everywhere. Live life. Don't fear it.

We had a good shaker one morning. It was long and rough enough for me to start getting dressed.

A friend called and as we were talking she was getting an aftershock. I wasn't. But soon after I could hear it getting louder. It was really cool.

Only one made me think it was bad. Had a completely different feel. Hit in Mexico but knocked out power. Had a whole different vibe. Nasty vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.