What will be the next major impact to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
On the entire menu of natural disasters, I think this is the one that hits the strike zone of most scary plus most possible. I'm not sure "whole west coast falling into the ocean" is certain, but some kind of monumental plate shift alone could be catastrophic.
Eruption of a super volcano anywhere would affect everyone, everywhere.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Go back to the original Bladerunner movie life is good if your in the towers not so good down on ground level.
Sure. There's also Star Trek where food is created in a replicator and everyone can "vacation" for free on the Holodeck. Medicine is super advanced - full diagnostics by waving a box over the patient. AI could unlock that future too.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sure. There's also Star Trek where food is created in a replicator and everyone can "vacation" for free on the Holodeck. Medicine is super advanced - full diagnostics by waving a box over the patient. AI could unlock that future too.

Yeah, given the way it seems to be going I'll bet on Bladerunner. Not really but but seems that way the difference is somewhere between the 2.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I was kinda surprised no one mentioned 3D printing, especially organic 3D printing. Should revolutionize organ transplants in the next decade

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
AI does seem like a key step toward something like the Star Trek computer. It could turn my Alexa speaker from a voice activated juke box and weather forecast machine into an all knowing source of everything that I can talk to like a real person.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
AI does seem like a key step toward something like the Star Trek computer. It could turn my Alexa speaker from a voice activated juke box and weather forecast machine into an all knowing source of everything that I can talk to like a real person.

If we can get a food replicator and a tri-corder out of AI I'd call it a win.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
If looking at 10 years out, I really think self driving vehicles will becoming more and more. I know there are skeptics, but it is advancing very quickly. Have a friend who is an ex-Air Force bomber pilot in 80s and early 90s. He said heck his training missions in the 80s involved going out in the dark on runs and going low over Scottish highlands and turning on auto pilot and riding that baby like an extreme version of Space Mountain. He said they will get self driving cars figured out and he has no fear of riding in one.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I am waiting for the chip implant in the brain with a port to load information also. I think someday in the farther out future, humans merge into machines. Solves lots of Earthly limitations.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am waiting for the chip implant in the brain with a port to load information also. I think someday in the farther out future, humans merge into machines. Solves lots of Earthly limitations.
MV5BMTM0NTExNTgyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTMwODU2NA@@._V1_.jpg

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, given the way it seems to be going I'll bet on Bladerunner. Not really but but seems that way the difference is somewhere between the 2.

I have posted this before, but it will be a cross between Dune and Firefly.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
We had a good shaker one morning. It was long and rough enough for me to start getting dressed.

A friend called and as we were talking she was getting an aftershock. I wasn't. But soon after I could hear it getting louder. It was really cool.

Only one made me think it was bad. Had a completely different feel. Hit in Mexico but knocked out power. Had a whole different vibe. Nasty vibe.
It's all relative to the wave and at what apex you're at from the epicenter. I was at the second max (after Santa Monica) in the Northridge quake. Things were definitely finding their way out of all the cupboards. And who has time to dress? (sarcasm). I was in the door frame after 5 seconds of wondering if it'll subside or grow. Grow it did. But, again very calculated and not one ounce of fear.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Unless they seeded the planet with life. Early cave drawings seem to show extraterrestrial ships.

They could be what we consider to be "god".

I wouldn't be surprised if we have official contact in the near future.
I don't like buying into hypotheticals. Early cave drawings could be of meteors, dreamt up by hallucinations, just general human creativity, etc... No one knows so go off things we do know. The James Webb telescope can see back in time millions of years, if it hasn't discovered alien life yet its far fetched to think contact will happen in the near future.

I fall in the same boat that I'm curious as to how anything is here. If there's a higher power what created that? It's an infinite loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron