What will be the next major impact to society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Life started about 3.7 billion years ago on Earth.

The sun is progressively getting hotter as time goes by. It was much dimmer for the dinosaurs.

In about one billion years, the oceans will boil. Very little of the biosphere will be left.

Some microbes might hang on underground, but large, complex life is probably done.

The sun will eat the Earth in roughly 4-5 billion years. All life on Earth undoubtedly ends.

So we're already pretty late into the increment in which large, complex organisms can exist on this planet. If there was a hard reset/need to start over, then there's not as much time to rebuild.

Also, available materials might be a big hindrance on rebuilding. Fossil fuels are a big problem for us now, but they were a big advantage for us becoming an industrialized society. Now the sources that are easiest to access are already tapped.

• Dumb
  • Disagree
Reactions: Gorm and BACyclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Also, available materials might be a big hindrance on rebuilding. Fossil fuels are a big problem for us now, but they were a big advantage for us becoming an industrialized society. Now the sources that are easiest to access are already tapped.

I mostly disagree with this... for three differentiated reasons.

(1.) We're not anywhere near to exhausting our fossil resources. We'd cook the planet long before we could, anyways, as we're more or less working on right now. Recoverable reserves keep expanding with more and new technologies, and there's plenty more we know is there from a geological standpoint but don't have an efficient way to extract at this point. "Peak Oil" turned out to be spectacularly wrong.

Yeah, we've claimed some of the low-hanging fruit, but there's just so much there, especially coal and gas, another civilization after humans would have plenty of fossil resources available. Global demand is going to stagnate and decline over the next century, too, as we adapt ourselves to renewables.

I don't think we've closed that path off either to ourselves or to any sequel civilizations of intelligent squirrels.

(2.) Fossil resources are cheap and abundant, but I don't think they are the only possible way a civilization could come about and industrialize. What if one came about that had a strong commitment to responsible management of Earth's biosphere from the start -- equivalent to something like that by our civilization in 1750 instead of kind of sort of lurching towards something like that only in the past few decades?

It might have taken longer to develop to present levels of income, but I think it could still happen. Trillions of investments in fossil infrastructure could have been made in renewables and electrification from the start, for instance, and industry/the economy could have been optimized for that. Instead, we're adapting the system on the fly through only incremental capital investments. This makes it harder.

(3.) We've burned up many fossil resources, agreed, but we've also "brought up" lots of metallic and mineral resources that are easier to recycle when they're at the surface than when they're under a mountain in Chile or something if you're looking for copper. So I could see that being a boon for development.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why I never started. I,m pretty sure I'd become obsessed with it.

I've considered it like 'how is $20 here and there going to be a problem?' and then I think about how many people start with that mindset.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I mean, haven't we already written books and movies about this ****?

The real question is which way does AI go? Terminator or I, Robot?
Yeah, but who in their wildest dreams would have expected a basically first gen AI to be at that level in 2023? It seems like we skipped a few technical generations of development and jumped straight into self destruction mode:)

Reactions: Sousaclone

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It's like a sequel to WarGames.

general-beringer-insults-dr.-mckittrick-with-a-smile..jpg

Reactions: CascadeClone

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Yeah, but who in their wildest dreams would have expected a basically first gen AI to be at that level in 2023? It seems like we skipped a few technical generations of development and jumped straight into self destruction mode:)

Yeah, things did escalate rather quickly.

Maybe AI will take the Wargames approach? Realize that the only way to win is not to play?

Or maybe we'll go the Matrix route. I'll need to come up with a better handle though. It'll be hard to be taken seriously with a pun name based on a musical instrument and a school mascot. I should go buy leather pants and a black trenchcoat to be prepared though.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah, things did escalate rather quickly.

Maybe AI will take the Wargames approach? Realize that the only way to win is not to play?

Or maybe we'll go the Matrix route. I'll need to come up with a better handle though. It'll be hard to be taken seriously with a pun name based on a musical instrument and a school mascot. I should go buy leather pants and a black trenchcoat to be prepared though.

Let's go in this direction
Gort_Firing.jpg

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think it's hilarious and frightening that they then gave the order to not kill the human controller so it decided it would disable coms so no one could control it.
People talking about Skynet, but this story LITERALLY is "I'm sorry Dave, but I can't do that right now" and then choosing murder to achieve its (programmed!) goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.