Decorah

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As they say around here, it's a whole different world when you go west of Highway 63.

Northeast Iowa is much more like Wisconsin than it is the rest of Iowa. And I'm not just talking about how it looks.
Iowa truly is like the melting pot of the US. We have several different “cultural” styles amongst ourselves.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Iowa truly is like the melting pot of the US. We have several different “cultural” styles amongst ourselves.
Yup. I think Northeast Iowa has a lot in common with Wisconsin. East Central/southeast Iowa has a lot in common with Illinois. Southern Iowa has a lot in common with Missouri, and the rest of Iowa is very similar to eastern Nebraska/Dakotas and SW Minnesota.

To me the most uniquely "Iowan" part of the state is the central part. Des Moines/Ames over towards CR/IC.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Heading up to Decorah this weekend. Plan on spending Saturday afternoon at Pulpit and TG. Stopping at Pivo on the way up on Friday and eating at Luna Valley Farms Friday night.

Any ideas of things to do Saturday morning around Decorah(An hour or so away is fine) . One person just had knee replacement a few months ago so no hiking or strenuous walks.
Thanks for bringing these up. We will be up there this weekend as well and I had not heard of Luna Valley so we will likely add that to our list.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Thanks for bringing these up. We will be up there this weekend as well and I had not heard of Luna Valley so we will likely add that to our list.
They use to sell out in hours so you may want to check that they still have openings.

Reactions: wxman1

CYnic

Dec 9, 2011
Iowa
I'll suggest the Lansing area.

-Coffee on the River has good coffee with impressive views of the Mississippi and the soon-to-be-replaced Blackhawk Bridge.

-Mt. Hosmer Veterans park has two overlooks of the river and wildlife refuge within a few steps of the car and the Driftless Area Education Center has several exhibits about the geological and cultural history of the Driftless Region along with some animal tanks for local fish, snakes, etc.

-Pontoon or fishing boat rentals from S&S. There's an event starting early afternoon Saturday where a guy anchors his houseboat in Big Lake and has some local bands play to a crowd of boats from the roof.

-Since you're planning a trip around craft beer stops. The Safehouse Saloon has a nice, rotating selection available on tap and for package sale in a unique setting.

-The City Meat Market is a little further north in New Albin. They make great summer sausage, jerky, and smoked salmon.

Reactions: Al_4_State

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yup. I think Northeast Iowa has a lot in common with Wisconsin. East Central/southeast Iowa has a lot in common with Illinois. Southern Iowa has a lot in common with Missouri, and the rest of Iowa is very similar to eastern Nebraska/Dakotas and SW Minnesota.

To me the most uniquely "Iowan" part of the state is the central part. Des Moines/Ames over towards CR/IC.
This is coming from a guy who doesn’t even know what “Northeast Iowa” is. Lol

Clonefreeeek

Dec 19, 2019
Has anyone stayed in the Mcgregor area? I would like to go there sometime but doesn't seem like there is much for lodging in the area. The Airbnbs look very old and dated.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
There's a newer hotel in Marquette. I've just always hated how you can't bike between the two towns safely. A bike lane on 76 would be awesome.

McGregor's cool, but I probably spend less time there specifically than a lot of places in the Driftless Area, even though I've spent a ton of time in PDC over the years.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There's a newer hotel in Marquette. I've just always hated how you can't bike between the two towns safely. A bike lane on 76 would be awesome.

McGregor's cool, but I probably spend less time there specifically than a lot of places in the Driftless Area, even though I've spent a ton of time in PDC over the years.

Every year I want to spend time paddling those little lakes/backwaters of the Mississippi but in the end, 1.5 hours' drive is something I really only need to do once a summer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron