Ranking road trips in the new Big 12

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
For sure. It's all relative. That's why I said "a little relief". Even in KS or OK it's generally warmer than say Minneapolis or West Layaette. I'll give you that WVU is probably a wash tho.

For example, in Stillwater last year at kickoff it was around 60 degrees, but it was still hovering in the low 30s back in Ames.

I'm not saying this is a hill I'm gonna die on here or anything. But I am saying, as an Iowan, it's a nice little silver lining to life in the Big 12 that doesn't go completely unnoticed and has at least some positive aspect to it.

I have no doubt Orlando and Houston are rightfully at the bottom of the list, but they certainly aren't gonna be hosting any Ice Bowls any time soon lol.
I went to Stillwater in October one year and it was the exact same temp as Des Moines. Still nice, but definitely not nicer. But anecdotal experience and all that. I’m sure it’s generally better in November

Reactions: RezClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Will definitely get to BYU and Cincy in the coming years.
Maybe UCF if we tie in Disney for the family (kill me).
No desire to go to Houston. Went in 05 for the bowl game. Best part of that trip was checking out Rice's bar scene.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Will definitely get to BYU and Cincy in the coming years.
Maybe UCF if we tie in Disney for the family (kill me).
No desire to go to Houston. Went in 05 for the bowl game. Best part of that trip was checking out Rice's bar scene.
I've actually never been to Houston before but based on all kinds of people even native Texans saying they hate it, I don't think I'll ever go.

The only opposing fans that will be there will be fans from teams in Texas or probably Oklahoma State fans since

towny

Jul 13, 2023
Houston is a commercial metroplex.
Orlando is on year-round vacation.
Provo is a pretty college town with altitude.
Cincinnati has good chili and lots of bridges.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
UC is a great place to visit and watch a game. And yes, I'm a bit biased with all three of my children having attended there (though I am an ISU grad). Nippert is actually named for the grandson of James Gamble, of P&G.
Stadium in the middle of campus. Stadium serves all the local craft beers, which are very good. The surrounding area Clifton is great for bars and food (Short Vine and McMillan streets). Just a short trip to Over the Rhine area, which has great restaurants and microbreweries, With the stadium on campus, parking gets a bit tough and areas to tailgate are limited - again, just hit the local bars.
And I'll also plug for Basketball. Fifth third arena (right next to the football stadium) was updated a couple of years ago. Place is very loud and fun for games with student sections at each end line. Oscar Robinson still occasionally attends games.

Are Mbb tickets available for face value?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Houston fans will probably be out for blood when they inevitably read this very meaningful thread.
:jimlad:

I doubt it reading Surly the only good thing they talk about Houston is the food scene and strip clubs.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Cincy
Provo
UCF
Houston
Cincy because of convenience, Provo for the outdoor scenery, UCF because warm hopefully late season game or go down for mbb.
Houston meh only for mbb or a Nov fb game.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I know a lot of people on here are going to say UCF as being on the lower tier, which is fine, but there's tons to do in Orlando BESIDES Disney....also you're 45 minutes away from the Atlantic Ocean, which is where I'd be

Houston is like 20 minutes from the Gulf and roughly the same latitude. Cocoa Beach is probably closest to MCO and at least an hour away on a GOOD day, which might not exist.

I went to "around" Orlando during spring break this year. We will choose to avoid this hellhole whenever possible going forward.

We spent a little time in Houston last year, and I honestly didn't think it was that bad...but admittedly spent very little time "in town". It's busy on expressways but not terrible -- better than Orlando.

My personal rankings:

Cincinnati (driveable)
Provo (fun to do one time, mix in some hiking)
Houston (warm late-fall weather, cheap flights possible)

UCF (rather save it for a bowl game trip)

Reactions: NWICY

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Blum said Provo is tough to get there. I know basically nothing about the logistics of it. How far is the stadium from the airport?

Unless you drove out there.
I flew into Salt Lake and spent time in SLC, Provo, Park City, and Springdale (Zion NP). I drove by the stadium almost on accident so it wasn't hard to get to from that perspective. I would guess its slightly under an hour drive from the airport to stadium.

• Informative

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
I flew into Salt Lake and spent time in SLC, Provo, Park City, and Springdale (Zion NP). I drove by the stadium almost on accident so it wasn't hard to get to from that perspective. I would guess its slightly under an hour drive from the airport to stadium.
I'm flying to the Provo airport from Chicago Midway on Allegiant. Very few flights go to Provo, but Allegiant does. It'll be crappy, but it was 150 bucks round trip including a carry on, so not too shabby.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BACyclone

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Blum said Provo is tough to get there. I know basically nothing about the logistics of it. How far is the stadium from the airport?

Unless you drove out there.
It's really not that bad, IMO. If you fly into SLC (which I would recommend) you can take public transportation (UTA Red Line then transfer to the Frontrunner train) to get to Provo. I would recommend getting a rental car though, especially if you want to drive up into the mountains and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

From the SLC airport it's about a 45-60 min drive (depending on I-15 traffic). There is a small airport in Provo that some of the budget airlines (Allegiant, Frontier, etc.) fly into, but I think there are only 4 gates and options are pretty limited.

For all my friends coming in for the game, I'm telling them to fly into SLC, stay in SLC, and go down to Provo just for the game (either in their own vehicle or via public transit). That's mostly because I know they are going to want to drink, go to restaurants/breweries, etc. and there are limited options for that in Provo. The whole Wasatch front is super beautiful, honestly you can't really go wrong staying anywhere along it. If you've never been, you'd be amazed how close the mountains are compared to a Denver, Seattle, etc.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron