Ranking road trips in the new Big 12

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
BYU for sure, Orlando if I can tie in a vacation to Disney for the family while I golf or something. Cincy unlikely, a chance to go to a pro game though depending on schedule.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
HUGE Disney family so Orlando every day, would skip the football game:)

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
BYU for sure, Orlando if I can tie in a vacation to Disney for the family while I golf or something. Cincy unlikely, a chance to go to a pro game though depending on schedule.
fyi: Seahawks @ Bengals on the ISU @ UC weekend.

Reactions: simply1

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
FWIW, I would take a November game in Provo vs. the same in Houston or Orlando. Utah’s climate is quite mild and you are at altitude, and there is a real good chance you could golf in the morning and see the game in the afternoon, and if you are real lucky, ski the next day.

I would second the recommendation to stay in SLC. In today’s day and age it will have all the modern trappings of a similar city its size. Provo would be tough for a visiting college football fan’s experience -at least for this one (and I lived in Utah for three years).

If you are in for a “real” road-trip, I would drive out to Utah and take the scenic route (I70 through Colorado and then get off in Salina, UT, and head north). From Iowa it would be two hard days, but wide open spaces, and one of the most beautiful drives in this country.

Cinncy would be good as it’s easily drivable / weekend trip.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I would go to Houston for a road trip, but only because I have a lot of family there and in the surrounding communities. Sort of a "kill two birds with one stone" thing. Cincy and UCF are "meh", and I have zero desire to go to Provo. I'll road trip (or train trip) back to Colorado in a heartbeat, though!

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
I hope we’re scheduled to play Arizona State in late November. It would be like an early bowl game. Cyclone fans would instinctively flock to Tempe in late November like the salmon of Capistrano!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think Utah is the winner of the 7 totally new schools.

It has the beauty of BYU, a passionate fanbase (even if they seem anti Big 12), direct flights being a major flight hub, and they like to party. Checks all the boxes.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

Definitely multiple things can be going on at one time in Cincinnati, but 18? Lived there for 17 years, and I had no idea! :)

That being said, it will be a GREAT road trip for anybody making the trek to the Queen City. There is a Picasso Exhibit ending that weekend at the Cincinnati Museum of Art, the Seahawks play @ Bengals on Sunday, and the Reds might be in the Playoffs at that time if they can figure out how to win again (current 5 game losing streak).

Reactions: 2122

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Definitely multiple things can be going on at one time in Cincinnati, but 18? Lived there for 17 years, and I had no idea! :)

That being said, it will be a GREAT road trip for anybody making the trek to the Queen City. There is a Picasso Exhibit ending that weekend at the Cincinnati Museum of Art, the Seahawks play @ Bengals on Sunday, and the Reds might be in the Playoffs at that time if they can figure out how to win again (current 5 game losing streak).
My favorite part about, "There's so many other things to do here, but c'mon in Ames, IA this is all you have to do." is this. Is tailgating with a bunch of friends, family, etc. all day with good food, games, drinking, etc. not really fun? I get it if it's like us claiming how packed our BINGO hall is in Ames, but tailgating is really freaking fun. It's always been a really weird flex from places that are located in cities.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Both. Sounds like it has great potential, but need to know what I could be getting myself into (never done a train trip).

YouTube has a bunch of videos about Amtrak experiences.

My small sample is less than impressive for even a 4 hour trip. Like really really bad.

Breakdowns, delays, police activity. Saw them forget to help a paralyzed man into the train and he ended up crawling in.

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Blum said Provo is tough to get there. I know basically nothing about the logistics of it. How far is the stadium from the airport?

Unless you drove out there.
50 miles or so. You could get there on public transport ok, but would be kind of restricted to that are with no car.

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone