Cyclone Hazy IPA

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
West-O is in Iowa. What do you mean by a better experience?
You are correct and my post had nothing to do with West-O. West O is wonderful, they are great, keep buying it.

However, it is not a light beer. I asked if people would be interested in a LIGHT BEER that was brewed in Iowa that would contribute to the We Will Collective. Because, our fan base has a weird obsession with Busch Light. AND there is an actual Iowa produced Light Beer that could provide a better experience THAN Busch or Bud Light. That is all. I was just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Reactions: 1100011CS

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You are correct and my post had nothing to do with West-O. West O is wonderful, they are great, keep buying it.

However, it is not a light beer. I asked if people would be interested in a LIGHT BEER that was brewed in Iowa that would contribute to the We Will Collective. Because, our fan base has a weird obsession with Busch Light. AND there is an actual Iowa produced Light Beer that could provide a better experience THAN Busch or Bud Light. That is all. I was just looking for opinions. Thanks.
What is going on with your posts? Are you giving some kind of soft pitch for a beer you're thinking about brewing or something?

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
What is going on with your posts? Are you giving some kind of soft pitch for a beer you're thinking about brewing or something?
That is a good question. Let me answer in a few parts:

1) I am not thinking about brewing a new beer, I'm not a brewer and the Iowa produced light beer in question already exists.

2) I do not have any stock or stake in said brewery

3) I am simply wondering if anyone that normally drinks light beer (what seems to be a large portion of our fanbase) would shift to an Iowa based light beer in place of the light beer the presently consume. I like local breweries and it seems to me that if others also like local breweries AND like light beer they might be interested in it OR maybe not.

4) This is not bandwagon jumping or bashing of any other product. I think what is already happening is great. Call it personal interest market research. I have a hypothesis and I'm asking for input for a knowledgeable representative group to gather input. We share a lot of opinions on this board and I was just looking for yours and others.

I hope that answered your question well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1100011CS

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
For all those complaining about 4 beers….

There is a high likelihood that only one or two will even be in stock come Halloween.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

1) I am not thinking about brewing a new beer, I'm not a brewer and the Iowa produced light beer in question already exists.

3) I am simply wondering if anyone that normally drinks light beer (what seems to be a large portion of our fanbase) would shift to an Iowa based light beer in place of the light beer the presently consume. I like local breweries and it seems to me that if others also like local breweries AND like light beer they might be interested in it OR maybe not.

4) This is not bandwagon jumping or bashing of any other product. I think what is already happening is great. Call it personal interest market research. I have a hypothesis that some portion of a fanbase, given the right situation and I'm asking for input. We share a lot of opinions on this board and I was just looking for yours and others.

Lol! Ok. Sorry if I annoyed you. Would I consider buying a locally brewed "Light" beer to replace those occasions I would buy busch light? Sure. But there are 2 issues with that IMO:

1. I don't know why you are so sure Ames Lager can't fill that niche. I was led to belive it was going to be a session beer. Not everyone is looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon when they tailgate.

2. Those that ARE looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon probably don't want to spend the premium price on a charity beer like Ames Lager or anything else.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice. Backpocket has always been hit/miss with me but they've improved a lot over the last few years. Fingers crossed that this is a good one.

In collaboration with @iowastateu & @cycloneath, we are so excited to introduce Cyclones Hazy!
This Hazy IPA was brewed with Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic hops - then heavily dry hopped with Vic Secret for sweet flavors of pineapple, passion fruit & citrus! There is no better way to show your ISU pride than with a Cyclones Hazy in hand. Available 9/22 at participating retailers.

View attachment 115806

Being released on 9/22 . . . after the CyHok game? Oops.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

4) This is not bandwagon jumping or bashing of any other product. I think what is already happening is great. Call it personal interest market research. I have a hypothesis and I'm asking for input for a knowledgeable representative group to gather input. We share a lot of opinions on this board and I was just looking for yours and others.

The things I'm looking for in a Cyclone beer (in no particular order):
1) Benefits We Will or Cyclone athletics
2) Is clearly branded ISU/We Will
3) Tastes good

If it has those 3, I'll pay more for them than I would typical mass produced beer.

In your scenario you said the purchaser could donate as much as they want to the collective - meaning the actual purchase price doesn't include a donation to them? Guess I don't know how that's any different than me currently sending a venmo to We Will every time I buy any 6 pack? I would not buy a higher priced local beer just to donate more on top of the price - not any more than I buy any others anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones01

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Clonefest has been in production for 3-4 years now I believe, but this is the first time they partnered with Iowa State for licensing. They've made a Hawktoberfest for about the same amount of time, which I actually have liked better, though will not be buying anymore due to where the money goes.

Does that money go to Iowa, though? If so I missed the announcement - I know they weren't partnered before this fall.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Ames Lager is not a Light Beer. Ames Lager is a LIGHTER beer than many other local beers and Ales, but it is not a Light Beer. I mean an actual light beer with the features of a Bud or Busch Light with a better experience produced by a company in Iowa.

You want a beer that tastes like bad water??

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI

What's the beer/brewery?

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Does that money go to Iowa, though? If so I missed the announcement - I know they weren't partnered before this fall.

I believe I saw someone ask that on a Backpocket post, and they said they don't have any current plans to partner with the U of I.

Reactions: Tailg8er

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Lol! Ok. Sorry if I annoyed you. Would I consider buying a locally brewed "Light" beer to replace those occasions I would buy busch light? Sure. But there are 2 issues with that IMO:

1. I don't know why you are so sure Ames Lager can't fill that niche. I was led to belive it was going to be a session beer. Not everyone is looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon when they tailgate.

2. Those that ARE looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon probably don't want to spend the premium price on a charity beer like Ames Lager or anything else.

Hey NorthCyd,

First off, please know that I genuinely appreciate our conversation. It's helping me understand your and potentially others' perspectives better and clarify my own thoughts, so thanks for that.
  1. On Ames Lager as a Session Beer: You're right about the intent of Ames Lager. My emphasis is on a local alternative that directly competes with the likes of Bud or Busch Light in terms of taste and feel. Given the sheer volume of light beers consumed during ISU tailgates (estimated at well over 7,500 cans!), I believe there's potential for a local light beer to carve out its niche among those consumers. It's not about changing the choice of those who enjoy non-light beers, but offering an alternative to the fans who already lean towards the lighter varieties.
  2. On Consumption and Pricing:
    a. I've seen many tailgates where a 12 or 18 pack is split among a group. It's not always about the heavy drinkers but offering something to the casual fans who might just have a few.
    b. Regarding the beers that contribute to the We Will Collective, I'm curious too: is the general assumption that these beers merely tack on an extra amount to their standard price and then donate that? Or is it more about donating a portion of their inherent profit?
    c. How would you feel if the price was marked up by around 20% compared to other light beers like Busch Light, given the local nature of the brew and its charitable angle?
Thank you for engaging with this. Your insights are truly valuable, and I'm all ears for any other thoughts or suggestions you might have!

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
You want a beer that tastes like bad water??
You make a good point. AND no, I don't want a beer that tastes like bad water. However, while light beer might not be everyone's favorite, it does make up about 40% of U.S. beer consumption. ISU fans, in particular, also have a notable fondness for Busch Light. I might not be a big light beer drinker myself, but with so many fans that do enjoy it, I was just curious: would there be interest in a local alternative that also supports We Will?

I respect your perspective, and thanks for sharing it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Not sure I'd call it a "ton" - Iowa made $3 million their first full year of selling at Kinnick. It's not nothing, but peanuts in the athletic dept budget.

3 million in sales.

Pocketed less than 800k when it was all said and done.

• Informative
Reactions: huntt26

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Check out Iowa Light from Limestone Brewery in Osage.
I consume this beer regularly, and it’s a great alternative to domestic light beer. It would be awesome to see this take off.

That said, I’m like 90% sure they self distribute. Osage is 15 miles from the Minnesota border, so that means they would have to run this some pretty wild distances. Also, I don’t think their capacity is enough to meet a statewide demand. These two things make me think they wouldn’t be a great candidate for such a project.

But I don’t want to speak for someone else.

I do strongly recommend this beer if you see it in stores, and would highly encourage anyone who gets near Osage to stop by the taproom and have a few. It’s a really cool place, they have some really enjoyable beers, and one of the owners is an ISU alum, big Clone fan, and CF poster (I’m not going to out him lol). I’d imagine their Oktoberfest is either out or coming soon, and I’ll definitely be grabbing some.

Last edited:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
I consume this beer regularly, and it’s a great alternative to domestic light beer. It would be awesome to see this take off.

That said, I’m like 90% sure they self distribute. Osage is 15 miles from the Minnesota border, so that means they would have to run this some pretty wild distances. Also, I don’t think their capacity is enough to meet a statewide demand. These two things make me think they wouldn’t be a great candidate for such a project.

But I don’t want to speak for someone else.

I do strongly recommend this beer if you see it in stores, and would highly encourage anyone who gets near Osage to stop by the taproom and have a few. It’s a really cool place, they have some really enjoyable beers, and one of the owners is an ISU alum, big Clone fan, and CF poster (I’m not going to put him lol). I’d imagine their Oktoberfest is either out or coming soon, and I’ll definitely be grabbing some.
Second this. The beer is very good and the owners are outstanding.