Cyclone Hazy IPA

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Second this. The beer is very good and the owners are outstanding.
Yeah they are. They've built a really cool business in small town Iowa and deserve a ton of praise and credit for it. I get in there for a beer or 3 whenever possible. My local liquor store carries their cans (we're about 45 minutes away) and my buddies and I purchase it regularly.

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
I consume this beer regularly, and it’s a great alternative to domestic light beer. It would be awesome to see this take off.

That said, I’m like 90% sure they self distribute. Osage is 15 miles from the Minnesota border, so that means they would have to run this some pretty wild distances. Also, I don’t think their capacity is enough to meet a statewide demand. These two things make me think they wouldn’t be a great candidate for such a project.

But I don’t want to speak for someone else.

I do strongly recommend this beer if you see it in stores, and would highly encourage anyone who gets near Osage to stop by the taproom and have a few. It’s a really cool place, they have some really enjoyable beers, and one of the owners is an ISU alum, big Clone fan, and CF poster (I’m not going to out him lol). I’d imagine their Oktoberfest is either out or coming soon, and I’ll definitely be grabbing some.
Second this. The beer is very good and the owners are outstanding.
Thank you both for sharing your experiences with the beer – it's always great to hear from those who've tried it firsthand. As someone who values local products AND anything that supports our beloved Cyclones, this feedback is very useful.

Al_4_State, your point on distribution and capacity is well-taken. But as we all know, before any plan takes flight, it's crucial to gauge interest and demand. This conversation could be the first step in that direction.

Let's continue this insightful discussion! I appreciate your knowledge and perspective.

Thanks,

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My biggest problem with all these NIL beverages is that my shelf with all the other ones will have to get bigger. There's just not room with the old Pepsi Bottles, the steel cans from the 80's, and the Bud Light from the early 00's.

:jimlad:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I consume this beer regularly, and it’s a great alternative to domestic light beer. It would be awesome to see this take off.

That said, I’m like 90% sure they self distribute. Osage is 15 miles from the Minnesota border, so that means they would have to run this some pretty wild distances. Also, I don’t think their capacity is enough to meet a statewide demand. These two things make me think they wouldn’t be a great candidate for such a project.

I do strongly recommend this beer if you see it in stores, and would highly encourage anyone who gets near Osage to stop by the taproom and have a few. It’s a really cool place, they have some really enjoyable beers, and one of the owners is an ISU alum, big Clone fan, and CF poster (I’m not going to out him lol). I’d imagine their Oktoberfest is either out or coming soon, and I’ll definitely be grabbing some.
I second everything you are saying here. Nice brewery, cool tap room, and very decent beers. I happened to be visiting one random Saturday in the fall a few years back and they were hosting a game watch for ISU v. Oklahoma.

Reactions: MJ29 and Al_4_State

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Honestly it is time Iowa State flexes its agricultural and horticultural roots to develop a whole line of spirits. Imagine using cyclone corn to make whisky. Take cherries from horticulture and you can make seasonal cherry bounce. Looping in the theme with Veishea cherry pies.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This Iowa Light thing could have some legs to it...

We have often referred to Oklahoma State as Okie Light...while demeaning in its nature it would work for an Iowa State beer and to call it "Iowa Lite"

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I absolutely hate IPAs but I'll probably buy a pack for the can alone.
Yes, IPA's are more bitter, generally, and not as smooth as some other types of beer. Look at it this way. Just pretend you have 2 choices of drink: 1) some apple cider vinegar, or, 2) or a nice IPA beer.

There you go. Problem solved. Easy choice!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

What is West O Beer's distribution range at this time?

I'm down in MO. @brentblum

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Lol! Ok. Sorry if I annoyed you. Would I consider buying a locally brewed "Light" beer to replace those occasions I would buy busch light? Sure. But there are 2 issues with that IMO:

1. I don't know why you are so sure Ames Lager can't fill that niche. I was led to belive it was going to be a session beer. Not everyone is looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon when they tailgate.

2. Those that ARE looking to crush 10-20 beers in an afternoon probably don't want to spend the premium price on a charity beer like Ames Lager or anything else.
Are you proposing something like if Busch sold a 30 pack of Light in cans that simply say "Cyclone Tailgate Approved", mark it up say $5, and give that markup to We Will? And slap a sticker on the box that says where that extra $5 goes to?

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Are you proposing something like if Busch sold a 30 pack of Light in cans that simply say "Cyclone Tailgate Approved", mark it up say $5, and give that markup to We Will? And slap a sticker on the box that says where that extra $5 goes to?
Replying to my own reply here, but iffff someone wanted to make some inroads against Busch for that Busch+ISU culture, this could be one way of buying market share.