ISU Power Plant Fire?

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
The power plant supplies the electricity to run the compressors for each building. And that each building has a dedicated compressor. So the university thought it prudent to shut down all compressors? Is anything else dependent on electricity being shut down? Are other places in Ames going to be told to shut theirs down as well?

From what I've heard, the issue is the compressed air that's used to actuate controls in several buildings. It's not the power supply or the AC compressors at the buildings themselves.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The power plant supplies the electricity to run the compressors for each building. And that each building has a dedicated compressor. So the university thought it prudent to shut down all compressors? Is anything else dependent on electricity being shut down? Are other places in Ames going to be told to shut theirs down as well?

Is the ISU power plant supplying electricity, or are they getting that from the Ames power plant? I thought the ISU’s plant was more expensive than purchasing electricity unless they are producing steam or compressed air as well.

cy4state

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2017
Nevada, IA
Is the ISU power plant supplying electricity, or are they getting that from the Ames power plant? I thought the ISU’s plant was more expensive than purchasing electricity unless they are producing steam or compressed air as well.
They produce electricity and steam for heating and cooling. All the burners have been switched to natural gas in the past year, away from coal. What I found on their site:
Today the Power Plant has six boilers, four steam turbine generators and four centrifugal chillers. The Power Plant operates continuously and is capable of supplying all the heating, cooling, and electricity needs of the university. A staff of more than 75 people handle plant operations, material handling, plant maintenance, electrical and mechanical distribution, engineering, and other support functions of the ISU Power Plant.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Over in East Hall, we were first told we could stick around in places with window AC units (like in most of the offices) but then were told to try to turn off/unplug as many things as possible due to the limited electricity supply. Regardless, I left and am working from home the rest of the day and tomorrow.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
They produce electricity and steam for heating and cooling. All the burners have been switched to natural gas in the past year, away from coal. What I found on their site:
Today the Power Plant has six boilers, four steam turbine generators and four centrifugal chillers. The Power Plant operates continuously and is capable of supplying all the heating, cooling, and electricity needs of the university. A staff of more than 75 people handle plant operations, material handling, plant maintenance, electrical and mechanical distribution, engineering, and other support functions of the ISU Power Plant.
Reporting hasn't updated since 10:55am, but at the time the campus plant was producing about 1/3 of the campus needs (11.7 MW from the campus plant vs 28.6 MW campus demand).

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Short list of closures so far, but a couple of big ones.

ISU Dining: Grab and Go options available at UDCC, Wallace, Wilson and Seasons
Child Development Lab School: Closed Aug. 24-25
Memorial Union: Closed Aug. 24-25
Parks Library and Design Reading Room: Closed Aug. 24-25

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Short list of closures so far, but a couple of big ones.

ISU Dining: Grab and Go options available at UDCC, Wallace, Wilson and Seasons
Child Development Lab School: Closed Aug. 24-25
Memorial Union: Closed Aug. 24-25
Parks Library and Design Reading Room: Closed Aug. 24-25
Interesting, MU and Library were both places students were told to go to cool off if the had no air in their dorms before this. Should be a fun first now long weekend in Ames.....my son is in Willow, has not been back to dorm yet as he was still in the music building at a class last I heard. Marching Band practice tonight was cancelled and an event they have tomorrow evening is now optional.....fun, fun, fun.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

So each building doesn't have it's own dedicated system so if something goes down it doesn't effect the others? If not........what idiot designed and what idiot approved of that?

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
This is all just Campbell playing the long game and smoking out the UNI locker room in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Congrats on your daughter meeting CycloneDaddy's son :eggplant:
twilight-charlie-swan.gif