10 wins -7 pts agaist ranked opponents.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Hilarious.

Yet somehow that trailer trash is on New Years Day. Time to blow the whole bowel system up. And yes that is how I want to spell that.
Lets not get into the whole day the bowl is on matters that the B1G likes to use.

New years day bowl means nothing, it is not the NY6 and there have always been a couple low end trash bowls on New years day. The Outback/whatever it is now for instance.

Just like for many years now, Many NY6 bowls have been on other days not NY day.

Just like when the Hoks were in the Alamo bowl it was one of the lowest and lowest paying bowls at the time, and since moving to the B12 tie in, it upped its status and is the highest paying none NY6 Bowl overall, and is not on NY day. But oh boy do the Hoks like to say been there done that to try to devalue it now, even though it has completely changed since they went.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Out of curiosity...

ISU's cumulative score against ranked teams (at time of game):
ISU 99
Ranked Opponents 139
Net -40

Iowa's cumulative score against ranked teams (at time of game):
Iowa 0
Ranked Opponents 92
Net -92
But that elite defense of Iowa.

They gave up 31 ppg vs ranked teams. And keep in mind those three Iowa games they were down 3 scores or more in the third quarter and of course they were being shut out.

In ISUs games, the defense gave up 35 ppg, but scored 25. So it isn’t like the opponents could take the air out of the ball.

Iowa’s defense is good, but their stats are absolutely aided by their schedule and their own anemic offense.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
So do we think KF hangs it up, or is he really going to try and hire an OC to milk this thing out another two years?

If I'm him, I change nothing and if they fire me I get a huge settlement. To retire is to bail UI out of a contract. But he might prefer to be remembered as the 10 win West division guy, and not take the reputational hit that will come with the new scheduling.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
But that elite defense of Iowa.

They gave up 31 ppg vs ranked teams. And keep in mind those three Iowa games they were down 3 scores or more in the third quarter and of course they were being shut out.

In ISUs games, the defense gave up 35 ppg, but scored 25. So it isn’t like the opponents could take the air out of the ball.

Iowa’s defense is good, but their stats are absolutely aided by their schedule and their own anemic offense.
Defense is elite vs anyone except the good teams. Which was the majority of their schedule.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So do we think KF hangs it up, or is he really going to try and hire an OC to milk this thing out another two years?

If I'm him, I change nothing and if they fire me I get a huge settlement. To retire is to bail UI out of a contract. But he might prefer to be remembered as the 10 win West division guy, and not take the reputational hit that will come with the new scheduling.
Freerents is not retiring, he wants to go out with the most wins ever by a B10 coach and needs to get to a .600 winning percentage to be eligible for the college football HOF. He is also not going to walk away from the tens of millions EIU still owes him.

The guy is stubborn as hell and will stick around just to show their fan base that he thinks he is always right, in doing so he will end up burning the place down to the ground.

Last edited:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Freerents is not retiring, he wants to go out with the most wins ever by a B10 coach and needs to get to a .600 winning percentage to be eligible for the college football HOF. He is also not going to walk away from the tens of millions EIU still owes him.

They guy is stubborn as hell and will stick around just to show their fan base that he thinks he is always right, in doing so he will end up burning the place down to the ground.

I really hope ISU can capitalize on Ferentz staying past his time by beating them. I've said this before, but for instate recruiting, it's important that Campbell starts beating Iowa so when the post Ferentz era comes, high school recruits look towards ISU vs Iowa. Especially if the new Iowa Coach doesn't click well at first.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I really hope ISU can capitalize on Ferentz staying past his time by beating them. I've said this before, but for instate recruiting, it's important that Campbell starts beating Iowa so when the post Ferentz era comes, high school recruits look towards ISU vs Iowa. Especially if the new Iowa Coach doesn't click well at first.
Iowas best timing for Kirk to retire would be right now. They can point to his past record and the big money he gets to average 8 wins and pick up a Wazzu or OSU coach before their drop from P5 status.

If Iowa flounders a bit in the new big 10, it won’t be as attractive

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well Travis on KXNO this morning was interesting. Only listened from 7-7:30 but found it interesting how when the topic switched to the ISU bowl game his first reaction was "is the future really that bright at ISU though? You can't win games if you can't run the football." Well tell me this, how can you win games if you can't score points against good teams? Then he has the balls to say something like "well Iowa still won 10 games" so what, look at the teams those wins came against and ISU might be the best win they had all season. Iowa was the only team in college football to have more yards punting than offense too which takes some really crappy offense to accomplish that feat!

Their 10 wins with conference record in ()

Utah State 6-7 (4-4) MWC
ISU 7-6 (6-3) Big 12
W Michigan 4-8 (3-5)
Michigan State 4-8 (2-7)
Purdue 4-8 (3-6)
Wisconsin 7-6 (5-4)
Northwestern 8-5 (5-4)
Rutgers 7-6 (3-6)
Illinois 5-7 (3-6)
Nebraska 5-7 (3-6)

And let's not forget that 12-10 loss with the "controversy" against Minnesota who finished 6-7 (3-6). The 10 wins is yet another fake ID season for Iowa as they scored ZERO points against ranked teams then snuck by some mediocre and crappy Big 10 west teams. Can't wait to see how they fare in the new Big 10 when they'll have to play more than 1 ranked team in a season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well Travis on KXNO this morning was interesting. Only listened from 7-7:30 but found it interesting how when the topic switched to the ISU bowl game his first reaction was "is the future really that bright at ISU though? You can't win games if you can't run the football." Well tell me this, how can you win games if you can't score points against good teams? Then he has the balls to say something like "well Iowa still won 10 games" so what, look at the teams those wins came against and ISU might be the best win they had all season. Iowa was the only team in college football to have more yards punting than offense too which takes some really crappy offense to accomplish that feat!

Utah State 6-7 (4-4) MWC
ISU 7-6 (6-3) Big 12
W Michigan 4-8 (3-5)
Michigan State 4-8 (2-7)
Purdue 4-8 (3-6)
Wisconsin 7-6 (5-4)
Northwestern 8-5 (5-4)
Rutgers 7-6 (3-6)
Illinois 5-7 (3-6)
Nebraska 5-7 (3-6)

And let's not forget that 12-10 loss with the "controversy" against Minnesota who finished 6-7 (3-6). The 10 wins is yet another fake ID season for Iowa as they scored ZERO points against ranked teams then snuck by some mediocre and crappy Big 10 west teams. Can't wait to see how they fare in the new Big 10 when they'll have to play more than 1 ranked team in a season.
Will they? They have MN, NE, and WI locked in as rivals. There are 2 easy and one likely win right there. Throw in 2-3 non cons and you have a winning record before you look at the Indy, Purdue, NW, Illinois,Rutgers, and so ons that they will get a couple of.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022

Kirk is not going anywhere. He’ll keep cashing his big checks and thumb his bitter nose at his new boss every chance he gets.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Utah State 6-7 (4-4) MWC
ISU 7-6 (6-3) Big 12
W Michigan 4-8 (3-5)
Michigan State 4-8 (2-7)
Purdue 4-8 (3-6)
Wisconsin 7-6 (5-4)
Northwestern 8-5 (5-4)
Rutgers 7-6 (3-6)
Illinois 5-7 (3-6)
Nebraska 5-7 (3-6)

At the end of the day, wins are wins. The optics of the media and recruits seeing more wins is a positive. No one ever talks about how weak someone's schedule is, even after several years have passed, but the wins look good on the record books. Bottom line, Iowa is looked at as a strong program because of their win loss record, not by the strength of their schedule, and that leads them to being able to recruit better and getting the benefit of the doubt by the media.

It's why losing to Memphis was disappointing, because having an 8-win season looks a lot better than a 7-win season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Will they? They have MN, NE, and WI locked in as rivals. There are 2 easy and one likely win right there. Throw in 2-3 non cons and you have a winning record before you look at the Indy, Purdue, NW, Illinois,Rutgers, and so ons that they will get a couple of.

Next year they have Ohio State, Washington, and UCLA on their schedule and have to think that some of the teams they beat this year will be improved possibly. And I don't know how they can keep sneaking past the mediocre teams like they have been lately without scoring more. Eventually the odds are they can't sustain that and get by with beating conference opponents by averaging less than 20 points a game. The Minnesota game this year was a prime example how thin of a margin they have with mistakes playing the way they do. Either way even if they win 7 or 8 next year the "we just won 10 last year" line will be used whenever they offense struggles.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

The guy is stubborn as hell and will stick around just to show their fan base that he thinks he is always right, in doing so he will end up burning the place down to the ground.
I'm here for it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Maybe, but NE and WI had new coaches this season, it's going to take them a few years to get their players into the system and on the field. WI has been better the EIU for the majority of the past 10 years, and NE with Rhule will be better than what they have been under Frost and the others. Getting away from the B10 pillow soft West division will hurt EIU more than any other team in the league.

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce and CYdTracked

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe, but NE and WI had new coaches this season, it's going to take them a few years to get their players into the system and on the field. WI has been better the EIU for the majority of the past 10 years, and NE with Rhule will be better than what they have been under Frost and the others. Getting away from the B10 pillow soft West division will hurt EIU more than any other team in the league.
Rhule moves every 3-5 years

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It's crazy cause on one hand it is a horrendous job by the coaches putting together that offense but then on the other hand it is a great job by the staff to coach up the defense and Sts and find a way to win 10 games with the worst offense in modern college football history.