10 wins -7 pts agaist ranked opponents.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa is elite against teams that try to line up and play smash mouth football but outside of the B1G very few teams play that way. Tennessee showed once again that the Iowa D can look very average when you spread them out and play with tempo. The recipe to beat Iowa's D isn't that complicated, we just refuse to play that way against them.
Totally agree, which makes it even more difficult to stomach is that when ISU does throw the ball against EIU they tend to be successful, but then go right back to running it into the teeth of their defense.

The QB from Tenn. was the best they faced all year, the kid from Michigan was the 2nd best. Overall, the B10 has the worst QB play in the nation, Rocco is better than every QB in the B10 West and better than many in the East, and it's not even close.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
“Winning ten games” when you play in the Big Ten West is not like winning 10 games any where else so it’s hard to compare.
What other teams in the West won ten games? There are also plenty of bad conferences around the country and divisions the last twenty years, no team at any time has won that many games or even came close to it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Wisconsin game is a doosy. They pretty level with them. When you handicap the game, taking out the best player in college football.

Lol.

And they had their starting qb back not the true freshman they ran most the season with after he got hurt early in the Iowa game.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Disagree. If you are great at playing smash mouth like some of the Wisconsin teams you can also beat Iowa's defense. It really comes down to how good your offense is not the style. Iowa has beaten plenty of teams that use spread offenses. I

The Tennessee game just again showed there is only so much a defense can do against a good offense before the damn breaks if you have the worst offense in the country. Tennessee only scored on 2 of 8 possessions in the first half. Any team with an average offense would have at least been tied heading into halftime. Then Tenn had three straight series ending in punts to start the second half so 2 of 11 possessions. Then what happens. TO= TD, TO - TD. 28-0 Game over.

Very few teams are going to beat Iowa that way.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Totally agree, which makes it even more difficult to stomach is that when ISU does throw the ball against EIU they tend to be successful, but then go right back to running it into the teeth of their defense.

The QB from Tenn. was the best they faced all year, the kid from Michigan was the 2nd best. Overall, the B10 has the worst QB play in the nation, Rocco is better than every QB in the B10 West and better than many in the East, and it's not even close.
“And everybody knows it!” (To quote the orange cheeto god).

• Dumb
Reactions: nfrine and Cytown12

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Which hawk troll said, "The B1G Conference schedule is a meat grinder"? The B1G West was more like a sewage treatment plant.

This shows the powerful Iowa offense. In their four losses, they averaged:

132.75 total yards of offense
2.5 points
7.5 punts
22:45 TOP

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Trying to defend the Big 10 West is akin to peeing on an electric fence.... it's best not to go there.

Reactions: VeloClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The West was historically bad in the era of divisions and that's note even up for debate.
The point is There have have other bad divisions, there have been really bad smaller conferences etc. Show me a team that has won ten games with that bad of an offense? You wont' find any. It is crazy. I think the worst offense in the big ten besides Iowa was Nebraska and they didn't make a bowl game. They were also a like 30 spots better in offensive efficiency.
Not only will you not find them any win 10 wins. You won't find any with winning records.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines
The point is There have have other bad divisions, there have been really bad smaller conferences etc. Show me a team that has won ten games with that bad of an offense? You wont' find any. It is crazy. I think the worst offense in the big ten besides Iowa was Nebraska and they didn't make a bowl game. They were also a like 30 spots better in offensive efficiency.
Not only will you not find them any win 10 wins. You won't find any with winning records.
Nothing has ever been as bad as the Big Ten West so your argument is flawed. Nebraska was awful.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I normally would probably pull against Alabama, but Michigan's whole playing the victim thing after they were caught cheating makes me want Alabama to roll them.
I like there being no SEC in the championship game. Now we just need Go Blue to have a TCU type of championship game.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Trying to defend the Big 10 West is akin to peeing on an electric fence.... it's best not to go there.
Technically you can't get shocked peeing on an electric fence, according to a MythBusters episode way back. The stream isn't dense enough. Now, grabbing onto one while trying to take a pee does shock you (I know from experience).

Jeff51106

Jun 11, 2013
Kirk Ferentz was being interviewed before the game:
Interviewer, "Coach, let's say your team is on the 5 yard line and 3 points behind with two seconds remaining in the game; what would you do? Would you kick a field goal to tie and go into overtime, or try a touchdown to win?."

K.F., " I would punt".

Interviewer: "Coach, I think you may have misunderstood the question. Let's say your team is on the 5 yard line and 3 points behind with two seconds remaining in the game; what would you do?" Would you kick a field goal to tie and go into overtime, or try a touchdown to win?."

K.F., "I would punt".

Interviewer:, "Coach, why would you punt instead of either licking a field goal to tie, or trying for a touchdown to win?"

K.F., "Cause I like to Punt!'

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
When you’re an outlier. It usually means you were lucky (or unlucky)

• Winner
Reactions: mikeiastat

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Sure, guy.
BTW has been the worst or 2nd to worst of P5 divisions per Sagarin every year of its existence, and the other bottom feeder has been a mix of PAC and ACC. So, since it has been a thing, it is factually correct to state that per a widely used power ranking system, the Big 10 west has in fact been the worst power conference division since its inception.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So do we think KF hangs it up, or is he really going to try and hire an OC to milk this thing out another two years?

If I'm him, I change nothing and if they fire me I get a huge settlement. To retire is to bail UI out of a contract. But he might prefer to be remembered as the 10 win West division guy, and not take the reputational hit that will come with the new scheduling.
Did you see that post game presser? Dude has such a huge ego and thinks everything is fine. He doesn't see any hits coming. He is smarter than the rest of the room in his mind.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
BTW has been the worst or 2nd to worst of P5 divisions per Sagarin every year of its existence, and the other bottom feeder has been a mix of PAC and ACC. So, since it has been a thing, it is factually correct to state that per a widely used power ranking system, the Big 10 west has in fact been the worst power conference division since its inception.
And Iowa says..."Thank You!" Amazing how trash Nebraska has been. Now that it is one conference, no divisions...good luck Iowa...you certainly will need it.

• Agree
Reactions: Nococy