Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
12-13 in this conference is a national title contender. You can pencil that in for the next few years.

9-11 wins is a solid tournament team, then anything happens from there. It's not a One Cyclone Moment year, but there isn't a lot of variety amongst NCAA champions, anyway.
The really cool part about the tournament is that it could be. Just get in and see what happens. Your best team might exit immediately while a weaker one might catch lightning in a bottle.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Flashbacks to UAB

That loss was about on par for that team but it is a good example of 'just when things seem to be great...'

Personally I don't even care if ISU were to get a 8/9 game. Who's going to be a one seed that's scary?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not to change the subject, but I hope the ISU training staff is aware of stuff that really helps heal injuries like tendons, joints, muscles. There are two peptides, BPC 157 and TB 500, both really help heals those type of injuries. Also PectaSol helps as well. This won't help for in season, but blood platelet injections works pretty good too. I had injections in my hip for a torn labrum, it worked as I avoided surgery and in six weeks I was back to doing activities like bodyweight squats and lunges. I also had them for tennis elbow with great results.
Send the trainer an e-mail with some links and justification for use. Couldn't hurt.

Send one to JP also. He could make sure it gets thru, as I'm sure all the AD Dept. staff have screeners and more/most likely goes to junk mail.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm still in awe at the over-the-back rebound about 23 minutes into the broadcast (10:00 minutes on the clock in the first half) that was called a foul on Curtis Jones.

View attachment 122354
It was not only called a foul - it was called a shooting foul!!
That was definitely a homer call!

What else is it about #15 (Saunders) that people don't like? He seems to be getting some Cyclone fan hate. I'm just getting into the 2nd half replay. I didn't see anything in the 1st half that would make me dislike the player any more than the others.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
No one is winning 15 games in the Big 12. I doubt anyone wins 14.

2023 Big 12 Results:

Regular Season Conference Champ - Kansas. 13-5 Big 12 record. 1 Seed in NCAA Tourney.

Big 12 Tourney Champ (2nd regular season) - Texas. 12-6 Big 12 record. 2 Seed in NCAA Tourney.

Baylor and KState - 11-7 Big 12 record. 3 Seed in NCAA Tourney.
Demolition Derby. The Big 12 is a meat grinder.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you want to lose more games, then yes let's play Omaha. if not, then let's trust TJ and the process
I question why we didn't at least attempt to insert him into the game after Ward was ejected and got down by double digits. The team was playing flat, why not put him in for a few minutes and see if he could spark the team a bit? We got our asses handed to us without him in the game until garbage time so it's not like whatever he would have done would change the outcome any worse than it turned out.

Seems to be the taboo topic around here even talking about him and I trust TJ and the staff but just seems odd how we can't even carve out a 5+ minute role in some of these games to get him some experience. Especially when the outcome is pretty much determined as he wasn't even getting in until a couple minutes left in games we were up big in the non-conference portion. Is he really just that bad in practice? Early in the season it was obvious that Milan was making the adjustment to this level of play more than Omaha but never did I think we'd be relegating him to garbage time end of the bench minutes like he's getting. Maybe someone has more info on what is going on behind the scenes I dunno but the whole situation is just strange.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
That loss was about on par for that team but it is a good example of 'just when things seem to be great...'

Personally I don't even care if ISU were to get a 8/9 game. Who's going to be a one seed that's scary?

Right now BYU anywhere other than Hilton is scary enough. No need to imagine what a real #1 might look like.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
12-13 in this conference is a national title contender. You can pencil that in for the next few years.

9-11 wins is a solid tournament team, then anything happens from there. It's not a One Cyclone Moment year, but there isn't a lot of variety amongst NCAA champions, anyway.
I feel like I’m arguing semantics, so I won’t belabor the point anymore after this post. My expectation wasn’t (and never is) to win a national title or be a national title “contender”. By definition if you’re in the tournament you can win a national title, and there is enough parity in the sport a lot of teams can win it all any given year.

My expectation going into the season was to be in the hunt for a conference title (e.g. a game or two back into late February), finish 4th or 5th in the conference, and get a 3-4 seed in the tourney. All of those things were in the realm of possibility with 11-13 Big 12 wins, assuming the conference champ finishes with 14-15+ wins (as has happened 7 of the last 10 years). In fact, those are the exact seasons Baylor and K-State had last year. So those are good proxies for what I expected. I don’t think they were exorbitant.

Now, my expectations have lowered given only one freshmen from our 4-man (5 with Rock, but I’m not counting him) top-10 recruiting class is a contributor and the transfers have not been the shooters I was hoping for.

I don’t necessarily think this is a tournament team. But as I said, I’ll happily eat crow and take all the “dumbs” I get. Because I hope I’m wrong (and have been plenty of times before).

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

What else is it about #15 (Saunders) that people don't like? He seems to be getting some Cyclone fan hate. I'm just getting into the 2nd half replay. I didn't see anything in the 1st half that would make me dislike the player any more than the others.
Wait for it...

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021

I’m curious too. He’s one of my favorites on the team. All hustle all the time. I could see people getting irritated by that if you faced him. But I’ve never seen anything malicious.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I’m curious too. He’s one of my favorites on the team. All hustle all the time. I could see people getting irritated by that if you faced him. But I’ve never seen anything malicious.
I'll look for it in the 2nd half and let you know what I think. I didn't see anything wrong in the 1st, other than that call which really wasn't his fault, he was just trying to rebound.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Watching the 2nd half replay now, 16.18 left in the game. Byu is getting the ball inside, we are not (although trying).

Why can't we get it inside? Good D by Byu but we are not showing enough of an outside threat, need to make a couple of 3's. We are not even trying to shoot from distance. So they were jamming the middle. I think it gets worse from here. And we didn't make enough adjustments.

We are also turning down quite a few good mid range shots in order to go further inside, unsuccessfully.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I agree the three point shooting needs to be better. But BYU had 35 three point attempts, which was 61% of their total shot attempts. Taking that high of three point shots is not what this team thrives on. What ISU should get better at is making the open three pointers. But keep pounding the ball in the paint, force turnovers, and score easy points off the turnovers.

ISU only scored 10 points off turnovers tonight. BYU scored 17 points off turnovers. That’s the biggest reason why ISU lost that game. That metric needs to get better against TCU if they want to win
Yeah...I agree with that. But I'm certainly not thinking we need to launch 30+ 3s a game either. Maybe a joint effort of doubling our made 3s without shooting a large sum of shots. And maybe less doubling the post and guard man to man on the 3.

flinkpoyd01

Sep 27, 2009
SLC, UT
535 of BYU’s shot attempts have been threes and they hit on 37% (by comparison ISU has only attempted 297 threes). BYU has three guards that have attempted at least 83 threes, two with at least 100 attempts (by comparison ISU has only Momcilovic with 80 attempts).

ISU induces more three point attempts than most teams in the country - 356th out of 362 teams in percentage of field goal attempts given up as threes at a 46%+ rate per Barttorvik.

In short: we have played to force teams into choosing threes as their poison, but it could be a tough proposition against a team that lives (and typically thrives) by them on their home court. Will be interesting to see what TJ and staff dial up.
This stands as an excellent take.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

There was the incident with Saunders at the 10.30 mark (2nd half), when Waterman was shooting FT's [This after Waterman got fouled by Watson and Watson and Ward getting pushy on Waterman trying to get up.] Looked like Ward blasted Saunders off the foul line causing him to fall. Tempers flaring at this point, ISU down 14 now and appearing to be very frustrated.

Ward is a bit out of control IMO, gets a Flagrant 2 and he was ejected. Was there some baiting there? I don't know.

I remember thinking Flagrant 1 on that one, but understood the F2. I couldn't understand the Houston game, the Houston player only getting an F1 against BRE (Big Rob Energy -Jones), when that should have been an F2.

The play or two after this, BRE gets fouled by Kalifa, and goes down very hard. But it looked like a BB play by Kalifa and nothing egregious. We are getting our butts whipped at this point.

Down 18 now at the 8' mark, Milan gets fouled by Saunders on a 3 point attempt. I just thought he was going for the block and made a stupid foul. At this point, the tension was still pretty high and Byu had all the MO.

Then at the 4.10 mark, Saunders cuts and get the pass, makes a driving layup while Lipsey reaches in and fouls him (not hard) but injures his L shoulder. Tamin is out the rest of the game and we are unsure the seriousness of the injury.

That's how I see it. Saunders is OK in my book is what he is/we'll wait for round 2, but and was involved in a couple of plays that really hurt ISU. The last one, Tamin Lipsey, our star player, was injured on.

See you in the rematch, BYU.

Edit: I can see the hate toward some of the Byu players, and specifically Saunders and Waterman.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There was the incident with Saunders at the 10.30 mark (2nd half), when Waterman was shooting FT's [This after Waterman got fouled by Watson and Watson and Ward getting pushy on Waterman trying to get up.] Looked like Ward blasted Saunders off the foul line causing him to fall. Tempers flaring at this point, ISU down 14 now and appearing to be very frustrated.

Ward is a bit out of control IMO, gets a Flagrant 2 and he was ejected. Was there some baiting there? I don't know.

I remember thinking Flagrant 1 on that one, but understood the F2. I couldn't understand the Houston game, the Houston player only getting an F1 against BRE (Big Rob Energy -Jones), when that should have been an F2.

The play or two after this, BRE gets fouled by Kalifa, and goes down very hard. But it looked like a BB play by Kalifa and nothing egregious. We are getting our butts whipped at this point.

Down 18 now at the 8' mark, Milan gets fouled by Saunders on a 3 point attempt. I just thought he was going for the block and made a stupid foul. At this point, the tension was still pretty high and Byu had all the MO.

Then at the 4.10 mark, Saunders cuts and get the pass, makes a driving layup while Lipsey reaches in and fouls him (not hard) but injures his L shoulder. Tamin is out the rest of the game and we are unsure the seriousness of the injury.

That's how I see it. Saunders is OK in my book, but was involved in a couple of plays that really hurt ISU. The last one, Tamin Lipsey, our star player, was injured on.

See you in the rematch, BYU.
Rewatching this segment again. Saunders gives a very hard foul on a Momcilovic shot at 10.58, taking him down. This is gonna escalate pretty soon. It did.

Waterman does drape his arm over Watson's neck and head, 10.30 mark, then rolls, taking Watson's head with him, not cool. Watson and Ward are now chippy to Waterman as they get up. Waterman has been getting away with quite a few fouls earlier. It's starting to blow up.

I see this a little differently now. BYU hacking, fouling much of night, not getting called on many. ISU getting frustrated. Ward is frustrated and also sees himself as an enforcer now, taking his F2 on Saunders, Saunders is a perfect target, had just done a hard hack and body blow foul on Momcilovic. Statement made, right or wrong.

I would rather have had Ward keep his cool there, on the other hand it's the emotion of the game and wanting to try to change the direction of the game, good or bad.

So there you have it, the 11' to 4' mark in the 2nd half, some critical moments. The game and that sequence won't be forgotten when they play again in Ames.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Are you sure that's an advantage for just ISU?
The first two TJ teams were dramatically worse in the 2nd half of conference play, when teams got to see their defense a second time and better understood their offensive shortcomings. Opposing teams this year and moving forward won't all have that luxury. That is all I was getting at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron