***2024 Big 12 Wrestling Championships (March 9-10)***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You need a city that wants it, a suitable venue and amenities, and a local committee who'll outdo Tulsa when it comes to greasing the wheels (or palms).

Could Des Moines do it? Maybe, but WFA is in use through Friday night.

I wonder if Kansas City could/would do it at Municipal. Imagine going to the WBB tournament Saturday morning in T-Mobile, grabbing a few beers at P&L, then walking over to Municipal for the Saturday night semifinals. And then Sunday would only be wrestling due to the hoops off-day.
What if Iowa State were to give the Boy's union a sweet deal to host the Friday finals.
1. DSM hosts both the Boy's State tournament and Big XIIs in the same week.
2. Boy's union gets a nice check to play the finals in Ames. ( I'm told they really like nice checks)
3. We as fans get to host a big event that could lead to a national tournament down the road.

I'd think the IHSAA could be flexible if it was a rotating deal every 3 or 4 years.

Reactions: TheCampanile

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Is the arena generally available for workouts or whatnot on Friday? I am sure the arena can easily be turned over Friday night to make wrestling Saturday happen. Maybe they could use Hy-Vee hall or area schools and gyms available for Friday workouts?

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
@jcordova8, Just looked through your pictures. Those are awesome.

2 that come to mind are
Looking at some fans (Non ISU) when Yonger put Capt America on his back
and Feldkamp drenching Dresser with the water cooler and the wrestlers reactions afterwards
Thank you!

I love these so, so much. Check them out everyone. It's just Ech/Bastida and all the celebrating. I'll have more but I know these are more important right now.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Feels great to be big 12 champs again after way too long.
125-decent tournament from kysen he's so up and down, but outperformed seed B
133-Frost is proving to be a big time stud, needs to clean up the first minute of matches but wow A
141-looks good, not much else to say A
149-Got hosed, but knows what he needs to do and still looks like he's on a mission B-
157-Just a strange finals match, but is looking good, B needs to work on bottom
165-wrestled to seed, still think he can beat o Toole, but both men are tough, this loss means he'll see mess in the semis C
174-gotta work on bottom and rely a little less on funk C- for below seed. Great bonus from him
184- hope he can train and turn some things around and get an at large C-
197-good match and then tough draw C
Hwt- title contender A

Team needs to get out from bottom at a couple weights, coaching needs to be ready to go with decisions, but that 157 match was just so strange. Overall we have serious AA expectations at 33, 41, 49, maybe 57. Need some bonus or good runs at 25, 74 and 84 and of course title contenders at 65 and heavy nationals should be fun.