***2024 Big 12 Wrestling Championships (March 9-10)***

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thank you!

I love these so, so much. Check them out everyone. It's just Ech/Bastida and all the celebrating. I'll have more but I know these are more important right now.

It was so great to see David Carr, Chittum, Swiderski cheering on their teammates in the finals and up on the stage happy and smiling after not reaching their individual goals. Really impressive from them and shows what kind of people they are. Just really awesome.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Teams win - loss Records going into finals (Not including byes)
Iowa State is 27 -10 with 28 bonus points
Ok State is 29-11 with 13 bonus points
After finals
Iowa State was 29-13 with 28 bonus points
Ok State was 30-14 with 13 bonus points

As a comparison
Iowa at the Big 10 tourney was 35-17 with 14.5 bonus points (Assuming my math is correct)

Reactions: enisthemenace
Dec 21, 2022
Anybody else question Hendrickson letting Yonger up instead of attempting a turn after his takedown? The match within the match was can Yonger avoid going beneath Wyatt. I get that he just got a takedown and could go after another, but Yonger is so dynamic on his feet so the likelihood of that takedown was lower. It would have been a great test for Yonger to get out from underneath, or at the very least, avoid getting turned.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Anybody else question Hendrickson letting Yonger up instead of attempting a turn after his takedown? The match within the match was can Yonger avoid going beneath Wyatt. I get that he just got a takedown and could go after another, but Yonger is so dynamic on his feet so the likelihood of that takedown was lower. It would have been a great test for Yonger to get out from underneath, or at the very least, avoid getting turned.
I definitely questioned that. But, I can see why he did it. He thought he had Yonger tired.

That match was really interesting to me tactically from both wrestlers. Would be fun to see it again in the national finals.

Dec 21, 2022
I definitely questioned that. But, I can see why he did it. He thought he had Yonger tired.

That match was really interesting to me tactically from both wrestlers. Would be fun to see it again in the national finals.
I'm perfectly happy to park myself on the edge of my seat for that one!

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
What was our lead on OSU after the prelims?
Someone can check me in this, but I think we were ahead of Oklahoma State by 2 after prelims.

- Both won two DEC (ISU at 125 and 197; OSU at 157 and 285); those wash
- Both won two by TF (ISU at 141 and 157; OSU at 133 and 141); those wash
- Both won two falls (ISU at 165 and 285; OSU at 184 and 197); those wash - after relooking at things, this isn’t right; edit below

ISU had 3 byes (149, 174 and 184). OSU had 4 byes (125, 149, 165 and 174). No blood there.

Iowa State got a MD at 133. 1 point advance + 1 for MD

EDIT: I was wrong here. Surber got pinned in the prelims, so I need to flip that. Instead of them getting 3 at 197, they got nothing. We were up 5 after prelims, not 2 but those 2 points are what the draw gave us (essentially)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1100011CS

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Someone can check me in this, but I think we were ahead of Oklahoma State by 2 after prelims.

- Both won two DEC (ISU at 125 and 197; OSU at 157 and 285); those wash
- Both won two by TF (ISU at 141 and 157; OSU at 133 and 141); those wash
- Both won two falls (ISU at 165 and 285; OSU at 184 and 197); those wash - after relooking at things, this isn’t right; edit below

ISU had 3 byes (149, 174 and 184). OSU had 4 byes (125, 149, 165 and 174). No blood there.

Iowa State got a MD at 133. 1 point advance + 1 for MD

EDIT: I was wrong here. Surber got pinned in the prelims, so I need to flip that. Instead of them getting 3 at 197, they got nothing. We were up 5 after prelims, not 2.
Thank you. In the past it seemed we were in a hole before the quarters that we never got out of. Plus we'd have one bad session that would kill our chances.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Are associate members allotted as many tickets as full members? Wondering about OU of course.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
My understanding is if Chittum would have taken neutral in the first sudden death and doesn’t give up a takedown or stalling call he would have won due to the :30 seconds of riding. Can anyone confirm?
No. Chittum had first choice in OT1 and chose down. He got rode 30 seconds. Downey chose down and needed to get out for the win, but also got rode (questionable back points).

The OT2 flipped conventional wisdom on its head. Downey with first choice and chooses UP. I have never seen that in an OT match. He rides 30 seconds, so Chittum's choices are: 1) take down and win with an escape. 2) Take neutral and win with a TD. 3) Take UP and send to another OT with a rideout. Not only was 3 the worst option IMO, he also had 2 cautions, and we all saw that he gave a point for the 3rd forcing him to give the escape and try for the TD.

This coaching staff has done amazing things with this team, but they have had some real head-scratching strategy decisions late in some matches.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Matches can end on RT advantage after TB-1.

No. Chittum had first choice in OT1 and chose down. He got rode 30 seconds. Downey chose down and needed to get out for the win, but also got rode (questionable back points).

The OT2 flipped conventional wisdom on its head. Downey with first choice and chooses UP. I have never seen that in an OT match. He rides 30 seconds, so Chittum's choices are: 1) take down and win with an escape. 2) Take neutral and win with a TD. 3) Take UP and send to another OT with a rideout. Not only was 3 the worst option IMO, he also had 2 cautions, and we all saw that he gave a point for the 3rd forcing him to give the escape and try for the TD.

This coaching staff has done amazing things with this team, but they have had some real head-scratching strategy decisions late in some matches.
Chittum rode Downey out the 1st OT then Chittum went down and was rode out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron